*Step by Step* Light Proof Mounting of an Axial/Box/PC Fan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 31, 2006.

1. nice guide. Yeah i been saving all my old cell phone chargers for my next setup.

2. very nice diy

I did one similar to this but on a larger scale.

I needed an inline fan at around 250cfm, so i ordered a surplus one. for 15 dollars

Once it came in i got two duct reducers from home depot,

6 inch to 8 inch
    and 8 inch to 5 inch reducers.

I put the fan in the between the two reducers (the 8inch side) then sandwiched them together. I secured the fan in-place with expandable insulation. then wired it up to my thermostat.

I wish i had a picture of it... i cant find my camera to save my life...

but basically it is my intake into one "reducer" which is turned around so that it expands from 6 inch to 8 inch. Inside that is the fan, then it goes into another reducer from 8 inch to 5 inch.

From there it goes through several bends and into my grow chamber i hope you guys can visualize it...

overall i spent about 30 bucks for a 250cfm fan and it works wonders

3. hey quick question i got a 6 inch axial fan comin and i was gonna mount it to my box then run a little duct on the outside of it, the opposite that you have here, will that hinder my airflow too much? should i just try out somethin like you've got here or will it intake just fine

4. Axial fans can't overcome any static pressure made by ducting. What I would do is hook it up and see how much air is still moving.

5. im not sure exactly what static pressure intails

6. Hey sweet set up...got any ideas how I could somehow prevent odors from seeping out through that exhaust fan/pipe combo?

7. Hook your fan to about three feet of ducting and you will notice that very little air will come out. You fan might be rated at say 100CFM, but that is without being restricted by ducting. Duct fans (real ones) work more like air pumps then they do a fan.

Smell getting out your vents is going to be a problem as long as it's not treated.

8. Hot damn. I've referred so many folks to this thread, i finally have to post here just so i can find it next time i'm linking it.
    Thanx for the guide Rumpleforeskin. This is a slight variation of what i used to do and it worked great.

9. do you paint it black im geussing obviously but just maken sure and good point cause i did over look that?

10. I just shot some spray paint right down the pipe. I think black pipe would be better because you would not have to paint it.

11. #31 Don Piano, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
    Hey Rumple, i don't think we've ever formally conversed. I admire your work.
    I was looking at black pipe the other day thinking "why didn't i just buy that?" but when i looked inside, it was alot shinier than the ones painted with flat black. so id say buying the cheap white pvc and a $1 can of flat black will override the black pvc for me.

12. I'll second that. The black pvc i've seen was pretty glossy inside and out. I used to use flat black paint with great results in similar applications.

13. Ok, the white pipe wins. You guys talked me into it.

14. how do you supply electricity to the pc fan

15. I buy the 120V fans from RadioShack that plug right into the wall. You can use your PC fan with a 12V cellphone charger or any other powercube you have in the junk drawer.

16. Can you go into a little more detail on what's needed for wiring the fans?

17. Look around the house for something that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Make sure it says 110/120 Volt AC to 12 Volt DC. Strip the wires and twist them on to your 12VAC PC fan. A wire nut or some electric tape will seal the deal. Low voltage will hurt you if applied to a wet tongue, other then that don't stress.

18. #38 ricard0, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
    Man Rump, yours is a benevolence truly tempered with patience.
    What a guy. Let's hear it for our local, neighborhood guru.:yay:
    That's right, goin' advanced on ya.:metal:

19. wat did u use to power ur fan? how did u connect them?

20. Dude! Two posts above you. Connect them with your fingers. If you're missing some, my apologies.