Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Thai Sticks... Anyone make these anymore?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by FrickinA, Jun 15, 2012.

1. I had Thai sticks that were just Thai weed tied to a bamboo stick, too...but the "real" Thai sticks were, let's call them a Southeast Asian version of a "blunt" -where the weed played the role of the substrate for the real active ingredient -which was, in fact...opium. Weed was never a big deal in SE Asia -opium was almost the same as gold, though. So, rural people came up with the idea of Thai sticks to be able to more easily smoke opium....because opium smoking, traditionally, is much more involved. In fact, Thai sticks would have been considered a lowly, peasant way to smoke opium.

In all my days of smoking, I've never had an experience like the one I had the first time I smoked a real Thai stick.

Let's say "a friend" of mine was in the Peace Corps back in the 70's and was (mostly) in rural Thailand. He got a couple of pink, ceramic Siamese cat statues in Bangkok that were hollow and filled them with sticks he got from a farmer and then sealed them up and had them shipped back on a transport plane ahead of his own return. Things were different in those days! And then when he returned, he simply picked up his cargo and headed home. Took the cat statues, emptied them out...gave the statues to his mom and....tra-la-la-la (If you know whatI'm saying!)

2. #22 tstick, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
    No disrespect, but whatever you are talking about....it isn't describing Thai sticks....trust me. I am really someone who knows about Thai sticks. It was like a thing in my life for awhile...okay? :)

Sealing weed in airtight plastic bags and duct tape and then burying it under layers of dirt (specifically) won't do anything to the weed...other than possibly cure it.

All that you are describing is, essentially, the basic curing process (although a much more elaborate and unnecessary way...-in essence, putting freshly-dried weed in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. And you are also leaving out the "burping" step to avoid mold growth from contaminating the weed. What you are describing sounds risky if the weed is wet in the slightest. You could get the exact same effect by putting the weed in a Mason jar and putting it on a shelf out of the light, in your basement for three months -and burping it every so often....but none of that really pertains to making Thai sticks.

3. I saw an interesting recipe for a marijuana "cigar" that involved a "thai stick." The idea was to take a thai stick, coat in in honey or hash oil, and then basically wrap most marijuana leaves around it, essentially "gluing" then to the thai. Afterward the cigar would be cured for awhile and the bamboo skewer removed prior to smoking to create a small tube to draw smoke through.

Seemed like it would be an interesting little novel to bring to a party or something, that seemed to be a reason that thai sticks might be useful other than convenient shipping...

Of course I'm sure the cigar idea could be done without a thai stick, it seemed a convenient way to get the cannabis leaf wrapped around.

4. Trust me....What a stick was was related specifically to opium smoking. Loose weed was readily available and grew everywhere. Sticks identified "more than weed". They were easily traded, as they were mostly all the same size. It had nothing to do with hash oil, honey oil (lol!) or anything else. It was a rural form of an opium commodity.

5. They have an explanation of those on this site
    Cannabissearch.com
    Go there and search around alot of topics

6. very cool topic.

7. .......... H.

8. I started seeing Thai Sticks in 1975. I know they were authentic, as my best friend at the time was Vietnam vet, and he verified them. They were small, about 16-18 to an ounce (160/z), but by 1978 we were also seeing giant 1 oz, what were called Buddha Thai sticks. Simply amazing stuff. None of the stuff I got was opiated or coated with oil. Just extremely potent weed on a stick.

Loose Thai, I started seeing around '78, and at first there was some really good stuff, but after a while it went downhill, and even though it had the characteristic smell, we thought it was coming out of mexico, at the time. We could have been wrong.

By 1980 or '81, never saw one again

9. Yeah, man. The old Thai is gone, gone, gone.....unless some old vet has kept up a line for himself. The real sticks were opiated. The non-opiated ones were still a lot more potent than the Sativas we were all getting through Mexico and definitely had a taste that was unique. I have looked for those old tastes at various dispensaries advertising Thai strains....none of them have the taste I remember. I suspect a lot of places are just calling whatever strain they grow whatever they want to call it....who's going to check? lol! I've been around for so long and smoked so much weed, I can tell something from the old school in a second! I will say, though....I have tasted some new tastes over the last few years that are right up there with the best of the best....but that old Thai weed was delicious -often very leafy as I recall....but very resinous.

10. Though Thai sticks where weed soaked in oil and hash oil until all the oil seeps into the buds and coats it all with oil? Giving it Tha black hashes look, that what I read in a article on how to make Thai sticks on a high times magazine lol it takes like 3 month or so of soaking I believe

11. That's a relatively new marketing gimmick created in lieu of not being able to sell the real opiated sticks...Since they can't use opium they use hash oil...which, of course might produce a heavy THC-high, but wouldn't even come close to a real Thai stick in terms of effect...because it's not the same drug.

12. Not my pic. Google image search.

[​IMG]

13. Those are not what I'm talking about at all. LOL!

14. Those are clearly not Thai Sticks.

15. I'm sorry to see that there is only a couple of people left that really know what "Thai Sticks" were.

Thank you Tstick for trying to teach the true facts relating to Thai Stick AND, i might add, at the risk of receiving an "infraction" or a possible ban.

Pay attention Blades, he know of which he speaks.

16. I thought after they soaked them and stuff, they were wrapped up in leaves of some sort?

17. My dad used to get them.he grew up in socal in the 7os and 8os.he said that was the dankest shit that came around

18. You have no idea, friend....really.

19. I think you might be referring to Malawi Gold and how it was wrapped in banana leaves and then water-cured....?

20. Yes! Thats what I was thinking of.

People in a Thai stick thread shouldn't question a user with the name Tstick! Lolz