Guru's 2012 Silver Bullet/Mixed Bag Surprise and Thai Landrace

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Ganja Guru, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Late to the party as usual! :p But here none the less! Its that time again guys and gals.

It has been one hell of a spring for me :eek: Between my journey to south east Asia in March, my late start of the legal zen garden in April, and just now getting around to sprouting some Ganja, I'd say I have valid excuses!

For those familiar faces still around..."Hey guys!" For those I've yet to have the privilege of meeting and talking to, "Nice to meet you!" There are loads of awesome grows going on right now, and I promise to catch up.

Now for the nitty gritty:

The strains....

Silver Bullet
    Reggie's Mixed Bag

A Wonderful care package from Reggie. Last year he was gracious enough to send me a bag of SilverBullet and a mind blowing mixed bag. Im very excited about growing these out. Lord knows I've waited long enough...lol sorry Reggie...lol

Anyway, so the story goes... The seeds were labeled and seperated into two bags...not for long.

Sipping my joe, Sitting at the dining room table early one fall morning nearing harvest time, I hear the dinstinct sound of beads or seeds hitting the tile floor in the kitchen....Hesitant to look and fearing the worst, I turned my head to witness my little girl shaking the open baggies onto the tile and laughing....
    After getting over the initial gut check, I got down on all fours scanning the kitchen for every last seed. Now you see where Im getting at with the whole "Mixed Bag Surprise!" title? Its a bitter sweet ode to the comedy that is my life.

So, this will be one of those "I wonder what the hell this plant is" types of grows. Reggie if you're out there sir, feel free to follow along and throw your two cents in as to what you see in my pictures along the way. Your experience with these strains and past grow pictures will be quite helpful as the season progresses.

Technique:

Anyone who has shared a season here at GC knows I keep it all natural. All guerilla. All organic.

I will touch on various topics like soil food web, benneficial organisms, guanos, hydrolysates, teas composting, resourcefulness, etc as the season grows on. All zen things.

The seedlings shown here in the pictures were put into the ground last weekend. They were germed early May. The holes have cooked for about 2 months and upon transplanting were amended with only worm, kelp, and mychorizae innoculants. They got the top/fimm this morning.

Welcome to my secret garden. Stop by anytime to share, learn, and relax. :wave:

Attached Files:

2. Hell ya Guru! they look great Ive been waitin for your thread

Same spot as last season right?

Il be here to the finsh

3. Yes sir! Same spot. Worked out pretty well the first year, so were giving her another go. Just wish I could label the plants for you guys this year. I litereally have no idea what is what out there lol!...there are 2 more plants that I didn't upload a pic of. I have a total of 12 this year. Funny...2012. Anyway, I am seeing similarities in the plants so maybe when Reggie stops by he can take a look and try to give us an idea of which leaf patterns/growth habbits are which ever strains. I do have one that is a little sensitive to the nutes. Either that or I just put her root ball right ontop of the kelp without noticing...Im sure shell be fine, but some of her leaf edges are showing signs for sure. Here are the other two. The last one is the sensitive girl. I must make sweet gentle love to her. ;)

Attached Files:

4. All those plants look real healthy, good luck! You sound very experienced, maybe I'll learn something :)

5. Thanks dude. Like I said, same holes as last year. Each hole's mix changes up a bit year by year depending on a quick analysis early spring. Main things that remain the same are peat, perlite, and compost. I use various guanos, scats, castings, litters, and manures. If its good "shit", I use it...lol Whatever is local, on sale, or I can produce myself. I use various meals as well. Bone (breaks down slowly), blood (hot), cottonseeds, neem, alphalpha, the list goes on and on. Some meals, like neem, not only serve to feed the soil food web, but also serve to ward off pests. Depending on ph, I'll throw in some lime. Even gypsum if Im growing in a new spot and I've yet to get a chance to break up the native clay with the previous years mix. Above and beyond that, my main perscription for soil is wild, self caught, north Georgia trout hydrolysate. If I could only introduce one thing the whole season to super charge my soil food web, it would be fish! The nutrients contained within a properly made hydrolysate of trout are exceptional all across the board, including micro and macro nutrients.

My grow spot is completely guerilla, so I have to grow in holes. I wish I could grow out there in some 100 gallon air pruning containers but it just isn't safe to stick out like a sore thumb. Last year I installed a drip system on a timer and this year I added a nice syphon mixer unit for my hydrolysate. If I wanted to, I can literally come back to harvest whats left in October, but I like to get out there, take pictures for you guys, make sure coons aren't digging up the plants root zones, deer arent eating them away, and "knock on wood" the spot isn't getting me.

Stay tuned :D

6. Im tuned into this for sure. Also doing guerilla for the first time this year. Interesting tidbit on the hydrolysate. I definitely want to look into this. Your plants have such good color.

What exactly does the gypsum do? Im working in a spot with some clay-like soil. Im just hoping my roots can grow out of my super soil holes and still expand into the natural soil, it just seems so thick.

7. Gypsum is just calcium sulphate. Its a conditioner, amendment, and "fertilizer". It helps loosen and liquify clays, as well as deal with some issues clay soils have like akalinity. Not so much a problem though with holes, more so in mounds due to leeching of nutrients. But really, that wouldn't be the clay's fault, its really just one of the aspects of growing in a mound. Over time, they leech out down to deeper layers of the soil, leaving the top a bit alkaline. Simple sulphur will pretty much do the same thing, just no cal.

Worry not about the clay though, most clays, especially this red ga clay, containt lots of great stuff for your plants. The trick is just getting it to drain and breath :D Your roots will be fine.

8. How u doing guru? What state are u in? How long have u been growing? So far so good keep it up :-D

9. Good, how are you? Georgia, hows Cali? Considering past lives, I'd say probably 15,000 years I've been growing :) So far this time around, I've been growing for about 18 years...lol Thanks man! Stick around :wave:

10. Looking good Guru and looking forward to watching this grow.

11. Mill! Nice to see you at GC! Stick 'round man!

So after some hesitency, I decided to start some seeds that I picked up on my trip to Southeast Asia. These seeds were out of some buds I picked up from a tuk tuk Driver. The buds came from a nice garden on the border near Loas. The buds were full of seeds and the aroma wasn't that great, but WOW:eek: the high was almost psychedelic.

I'll be putting these out sort of late this year. These things like to get 15 ft tall and are super sativa. The flowering time on these near the 12 week mark sometimes due to the fact that they are a landrace strain use to the almost continuous grow season. They will be the longest strain I have by far and will require lots of topping and training.

Here are a few shots of the bud itself and how I got em back with me...lol

Attached Files:

12. That Thai should be awesome how long is your season in GA? Do u have problems with mold because of hi humidity/ rain in the fall. Cali is great , I'm really happy with my strain selection this year I think I'll have a good harvest this fall. Ive got one afwreck that is big about 3' wide and 3 1/2' tall, the blueberry headband, purple urkle and mikado of mine are all about 18" tall there clone I got a month ago. The afwreck I started from seed on the 21st of feburary. I'm legit but I grow like a gorilla grower anyways to minimize the risks of theft etc. How many plants do you have?

13. Bahaha thats freakin sweet. You had so many that you could pass em off as edible seeds. That sounds like an awesome high. Where do you get strains like this besides doing what you did :smoke:?

Exact same as me goldhillganga. Totally all legit but I gotta go guerilla.

14. My first frost hits around mid November if Im lucky. This should be enough time to get some mature buds. All your strains sound great man! Good luck!

There are some breeders out there crossing things with pure thais, even some selling pure thais. I like to pick up native buds from where ever I travel to. This way I know what Im getting for sure. :smoke:

15. G'day guru! Love the mixed bag mate!
    That silver bullet is a beautiful plant. How many strains have you got mixed up there?

All the best for the grow.

Oz

16. Ya know, Ill have to ask Reggie on that one. All he told me was that there was some gold in this mixed bag. Thanks for stopping by :wave:

17. Gday GG!

Next pics you can post I will be able to give you an idea of strain.

Am so excited to see your grow. Thanks for affording room in your collection. Its a big honour for me.

18. oh man, now i get to watch both you other garden and this one! WOO-HOO! looking good buddy

19. Shit! I forgot about this thread. I haven't even been out there to check on them yet! LoL lord...i need to get out there.

20. oh damn! thats no good! hope they are doing ok!