Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Grasscity 10% Discount

The Scientific Brownie: Boiling Points & Oils

• Please log in to reply

Murzy

Murzy

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So I'm learning a little about the science behind cooking with marijuana. Specifically I'm looking at the boiling points of key chemicals and identifying which oils are truly the best. The boiling points of the chemicals that we want to ingest as well as the medium (oil) through which they travel are important for getting that awesome high.

The boiling points of the chemicals in marijuana are important in preparing the best food product. Using the link above I learned that if I want to keep all of the chemicals in my precious brownie, I need to avoid reaching the temperature of the lowest boiling point. Looking at the list it looks like ß-caryophyllene has the lowest boiling point at 119°C or 246.2°F. So when you're cooking something with marijuana don't exceed 240°F just to be safe.

The next part is picking an oil. But first a little info. Cooking oil is just fat. Be it from plant, animal or synthetically derived: oil=fat. The reason fat is important is because in order for some of the important chemicals to be absorbed into your body, they must have a medium: fat. But according to BadKat, some oils are not the best choice as they do not bond well with cannabinoids. Namely olive, corn, canola and soy. As most know, many have used the oils mentioned above with varying results. Keep in mind I'm not looking for what works I'm looking for the best. I have yet to find out where plain old butter falls in all of this so it seems that further investigation is required. However, I did learn that Marinol (a synthetic THC drug) contains sesame oil to facilitate absorption. I am unsure if it is truly the best but it seems as far as I have learned, sesame oil is the way to go. Furthermore, BadCat in another article mentioned adding food grade coconut, avocado, almond, and castor oils in a mix to allow for the best absorption but even BadCat says that that may not be necessary.

So it seems that cooking sesame oil below 240°F is the most effective solution for creating the best pot food. Keep in mind that I have not tested oils yet nor have I tested other mediums such as peanut butter. I cannot testify to the veracity of every statement I made. This is just a summary of what I was learning about for the past couple of days. If anyone finds any parts that need clarification or correction please let me know.

The next step for me is fixing any errors here and then finding out if I can store the cannabinoid infused oil for long durations. I want to do something like make this stuff and then seal it up and freeze it and then when I get more I can recook it and infuse it with more cannabinoids. Although a bit farfetched, I want to see what supersaturated sesame oil looks like. :devious: :D

Edited by Murzy, 03 June 2012 - 07:35 AM.

jkcole

jkcole

• Registered Upgraded
  • 436 posts
You're pretty close on everything you said. But i believe whneb you said boiling point, you may have been referring to the "flashpoint" of the cannabinoid. In reference to the most recent thread of Badkat possibly?

Coconut oil or almond oil is supposed to be the most efficient material to use as a solvent, from what i have read.

If you are referring to the flashpoints while cooking, i pondered the same thoughts with the temps. And badkat had an answer for me. Heres her thread...

http://forum.grassci...ittysmiles.html

also, youre in the wrong section here. shoulda posted this one in incredible edible herb

Edited by jkcole, 03 June 2012 - 02:09 PM.

BadKittySmiles

BadKittySmiles

Compassion Support BadKatsCannaPharm.com

• Bronze Member
  • 6,586 posts

BadKittySmiles

BadKittySmiles

Compassion Support BadKatsCannaPharm.com

• Bronze Member
  • 6,586 posts

Murzy

Murzy

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Wow that is a lot of information. I'm going to have to read all of this several times before I can understand it all. Thank you all so much. ^^

Zagubadu

Zagubadu

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 790 posts
Yea BK is the king of edibles.

Got some super thread somewhere with so many types of edibles.

If you found them all in one room you'd make yourself sick by eating too much and being too high.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users