New York judge with cancer makes case for marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, May 23, 2012.

1. #21 Steno Nicolas, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
    I don't see what the man's dying have to do with respect. Especially when olesmoky merely made a pertinent asumption and didn't insult him. It's simply the truth. If a man isn't worthy of respect, should he become worthy on his dying bed, because he is dying?

2. Silenced soon? Weed cures cancer though. Here's a link to someone who used ONLY weed to cure his (now) wife's pancreatic cancer
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/856349-growing-cancer-aurora-indica.html

3. Was it actually cured though? I know that marijuana has shown to cut tumour size in half in mice, but don't you have to consume a large amount of thc to actually do some reduction in cancer?

4. yes... around 36 grams of oil for a full treatment.

i have met at least 5 individuals with wide variety of cancers.. all gone just from RSO.

Vitamin Cannabis on youtube would be a good start for you to watch

5. Here's what this anti-marijuana jerk's, David Evan, response was to the judge.

Anti-Marijuana Fanatic Insults Cancer Patient in Mean-Spirited Letter

by Scott Morgan, May 23, 2012, 11:52pm Posted in:

[​IMG]
    Last week, New York Times published one of the most powerful editorials about medical marijuana that I've ever seen. It was a moving personal appeal from Gustin L. Reichbach, a Justice of the NY State Supreme Court, who began treatment with marijuana after being diagnosed with terminal cancer.It's a story so moving you would have to be insane not to feel compassion for Justice Reichbach and patients like him. Unfortunately, long-time drug war defender David G. Evans is insane. In a calmly-worded, yet viciously dismissive letter to the editor, Evans suggests that the judge might be lying about his cancer treatment.
    Anecdotal reports may…be inaccurate because of the emotional expectations of the person using marijuana and the placebo effect. In some cases, there may be deliberate exaggeration for ideological reasons.
    To even suggest such a thing is offensive beyond words. We're talking about a man who is fighting for his life, a man who dedicated that life to upholding the law, and who turned to marijuana only after being handed a death sentence. From what twisted perspective would one even arrive at the idea that such a person was speaking dishonestly?
    Even leaving aside what we already know about marijuana's medical benefits, what kind of monster would question a dying man's account of how he finds comfort? Evans's sickening insinuations are an exhibit in the inhumanity required to judge those who only seek relief from their suffering. Worse, he even attempts to disguise his coldness and cynicism as a form of genuine concern:
    It is true compassion to make sure that medicines are safe and effective and that the claims about them are true.
    It's an incredible thing to say, premised entirely on the absurd notion that David Evans is entitled to an opinion about another man's cancer treatment. As often as we've seen critics of marijuana's medical use endeavor to embarrass themselves, I can scarcely recall an episode so disgraceful, so pure and vile in its arrogance.
    It's awful to think that Justice Reichbach and other patients like him might read the cruel words of people like David Evans. But let's not miss the true meaning behind Evans's senseless message. If you look back at what he wrote, it reveals a great deal about the desperation of anti-drug ideologues like Evans as they angle for attention in a debate that's increasingly been decided already in the hearts and minds of most Americans.
    Faced with a powerful story from a credible and sympathetic voice, Evans saw no option other than to call him a liar. He can't even accept the basic fact that sick people find relief from medical marijuana, because even that simple and obvious truth would, by itself, overwhelm every idiotic thing he's ever said on the subject. As hurtful as his words may be, Evans's horrendous example is exactly the reason we're winning this debate.

6. even if this judge dealt with marijuana related cases his job isn't to re-create laws based on his opinion, so event if he sentenced people over cannabis that isn't an indication that that was his long held belief.
    after all he's doing a job that has it's limits based on the current legal system. The latter has to change before the former can.

7. Still doesn't make it right. Knowing you're doing something that you believe is wrong, is still wrong. He could of stepped down, or raised more awareness when he was a healthy man. Sorry, but karma can be a motherfucker sometimes.

8. I have to disagree with you. I understand your point, but at the end of the day, its still his job and he still has bills to pay the rest of us. I don't like the police down here in new york, but if it was my job, ill follow the rules as an officer like im supposed to.

9. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Yeah it took that kind of cancer to make him realise it...but he is now a hypocrite....Good he is now on board...but hes a hyprocrite. bashing something that you know is awesome then turning around and be like never mind. Hypocrite. i get one bitch slap across his face. just one. 

11. #31 ProGMO-2, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    It is the position I am in. If legal and my doctor thinks it is an alternative to help I will take his recommendation. I still think it is chicken shit that so many pot heads are using the compassion side of legalization to get their buzz on. Call it what it is. But to use children's epilepsy or someone's out of control cancer as an excuse to get high, well it is just a sad commentary of the selfishness of many in the country. I am all for recreational use, just not on the backs of the sick and dying.

12.      being a New Yorker and getting changing stories very often, I hope this man's tragidy can help future patients in need.  I have MS and although I currently have a connection,I sure would like them to stop dickin' around and make it legal here.

13. I have to agree.

I smoked recreationally when I was in my 20's. My consumption tapered off in my mid 20's then I got a job with random testing and zero tolerance. I quit smoking completely. I did not smoke for almost 20 years. In my 40's I had health issues that were not well addressed by the treatments recommended by my physician. A few friends encouraged me to try smoking to ease my pain. I declined initially as I could lose my job. I did finally try smoking and was surprised at how much it helped. I decided that relief was worth more than my job and continued to smoke.

14. NY judge secretly smokes pot?

Put him in a chokehold boys. What I'm left wondering is how many people he sent away previously because of his ignorance and arrogance.

Quoted for the truth.  

16. #37 Mommabird, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
    My stepdad is 93 years old. He's dying of lung cancer and he finally admitted that he's willing to try cannabis. I make edibles for myself, are regular old edibles good enough for a dying man? I was thinking about sending him a little care package with a few Jay's rolled, some butter, a few candies and let him pick through...any suggestions out there?