New York judge with cancer makes case for marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, May 23, 2012.

1. NEW YORK (Reuters) - A cancer-stricken judge in New York has become an unlikely voice in support of legalizing the use of medical marijuana with the admission that he smokes pot to ease the side-effects of his treatments.

Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Gustin Reichbach, who is being treated for pancreatic cancer, wrote in a New York Times article on Thursday that he had been using marijuana provided by friends at "great personal risk" to help him cope with the nausea, sleeplessness and loss of appetite from chemotherapy treatments.

2. Sure when it benefits him he speaks out for it... What about the many years he spent judging people for it?

I'm glad a judge is speaking out for Marijuana. I'm glad legalization continues to get attention... but at the same time it's very irritating that it takes pancreatic cancer for a man to speak up about what he believes in.

3. Unfortunately, Sometimes it takes Pancreatic cancer for someone to realize that Marijuana is their best medicinal remedy.

4. True... Sad, but true...

5. I hope he gets the medicine he needs, however the cynic in me wonders how many lives this judge destroyed over Marijuana?

6. Pancreatic cancer has a very high mortality rate; whatever sympathetic voice he raises in defense of marijuana will sadly be silenced very shortly. I agree that it is sad that it takes a life threatening situation for many to reexamine their long held beliefs and opinions. Hopefully the relief he gets from it will motivate those within his circle to use what influence they have to further the path to legalization out of empathy they acquire from the experience. Perhaps those within the structured movement could take this opportunity to reach out to the community of seniors who while having the most to gain in terms of medicinal use remain the most steadfast in opposing due to a lifetime of anti drug propaganda.

7. Sometimes you need the situation to hit you to realize it. He might as well do his best to provide a voice from the time he has left. As the other has stated, pancreatic cancer has a very low survival rate. I hope the judge the best and hopes he does his best to provide a strong voice even after he's gone

8. honestly, i highly doubt the judge began smoking because of its medicinal reasons. at least now the people that are supporting legalization/decriminalization/w.e are people that actually hold power and have a strong voice, in the legal sense.

9. Why? It happens all the time.
    There's not much chance of a judge using it recreationally.

10. [quote name='"Olesmoky"']Sure when it benefits him he speaks out for it... What about the many years he spent judging people for it?

I'm glad a judge is speaking out for Marijuana. I'm glad legalization continues to get attention... but at the same time it's very irritating that it takes pancreatic cancer for a man to speak up about what he believes in.[/quote]

Never heard of leap ......

11. [quote name='"Olesmoky"']Sure when it benefits him he speaks out for it... What about the many years he spent judging people for it?

I'm glad a judge is speaking out for Marijuana. I'm glad legalization continues to get attention... but at the same time it's very irritating that it takes pancreatic cancer for a man to speak up about what he believes in.[/quote]

Have you not heard of LEAP...... Law enforcement against prohibition .....

12. Im not saying it doesnt happen, but it just seems a little fishy that the judge gets cancer, and all of a sudden he is advocating for weed and its medical uses. All im saying is that the judge probably smoked a few times with his friends before he ever even thought he would need weed for medicine. The OP post does say he gets weed from his "friends".

13. Well the flip side would be that he went through the trouble of studying to be a judge, knowing full well that he could end up being the guy to send people down for smoking it or that he could end up getting sent down and losing everything himself. They surely do drug tests on judges.
    I find it much more likely he started smoking it because of his condition.

14. Makes sense. I guess the only person/people that truly know is the judge and his "friends". Id call his friends dealers though. lmao

15. The man is dying, show some fucking respect.

Noble move.

16. True indeed.
    And don't get me wrong, it'd be a lot cooler if he did...:smoke:

17. maybe not anymore but back in the day my father knew one that grew bud and made his own shine dude used to sit on his porch in his kiddie pool drinkin shine and smokin bud they dont make em like they used to by-god

18. easy bro, everyone finds the way to herb their own way, dont be irritated its a wasted emotion, this is a positive thing dont try to make a negative out of it.

19. You highly doubt that he started smoking for medical reasons? what are doubting Marijuana's medical value when it comes to cancer?

20. I don't doubt the medical value of weed at all. I just believe by the info Superjoint gave us (not stating as a fact but a possibility) that the judge may have began smoking weed before being diagnosed with cancer. At the end of the day, we now have a JUDGE expressing his support for weed and im all for that :smoke: