Concepts that fuck with you

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Pufftamagicwyrm, May 22, 2012.

1. the fact that only humans think of " Time " as " Linear"

for example, we think that our birth is the frist thing and death is the last. This brings us a constant fear of dying because we know it's gonna be " the end". 

also, note how other animals dont quantify time. A deer isn't late for an appointement and a dog doesnt have a watch.

because we are the only animal that quantify time, we are also the only animal that has the fear of " the end of time"

I dunno if my post make sense because im high as fuck right now but think about it

2. Amazing movie!

Time is a human condition. Its just a product of human perception.

On a side note, the human condition as a whole fucks with me, as does people's coping mechanisms for said condition. Idk if anyone on this thread is an anime fan, but watch Welcome to the NHK. The whole series is focused on how people cope with being human and the stress that comes with it. I should warn you now tho, it is a very dark show

3. #4103 Deleted member 506764, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014

Time affects animals too, but not in the same way as it does humans. If you have animals that get feed at 5 am every day they will anticipate being fed at about that time every day. They don't know it's 5 am, to them it just feels like someone should be giving them food at that very instant.

Also, birds know what time of day they have the best chance of finding worms in the grass. Just at dawn, when the ground is still moist from morning dew is when they have their best chance to secure a meal. They don't think of it as dawn like we do but they know when it is time to search for food.

Many mammals hibernate for the Winter. They spend much of the preceding months preparing for their hibernation to ensure they'll be able to sustain themselves until Spring. They don't call this time where they're hibernating "Winter" but they know when it is coming and they know when adequate time has passed for their hibernation to end.

These are just a few examples but there are many more. Everything experiences time. Humans are the only entities that have come up with a system for measuring and documenting time.

4. out of all this, this one fucked me the most

sent from your mom's house

5. Did you really sit here and read that far back?

6. it put me on page one. No idea there were like 80

sent from your mom's house

7. What if nothing existed. What if there was no such thing as the universe. No such thing as matter. No such thing as time. No such thing as space, but if space didn't exist, what would it all really be? Imagine a blank picture. Is that what it would be? Exactly how would that void be percieved? But then again there would be no need to percieve anything and there would be no way to.

8. String theory.  To this day I still don't get it.

And this is just my opinion but Existence itself is a paradox.  Whatever was created must have been created by something else and so on.  How can something come from nothing?  

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8bWHo3yzbM

10. Thats sum good shit bro.
    ill go for that, true.

11. Nothing doesn't exist. Everything exists, anything exists, something exists, but nothing does not exist because if it existed it wouldn't be nothing, it would be something.

I get what you're saying though, what if there were no existence. If you think about it, it's kind of miraculous that everything exists because it seems like it would've been just as likely (if not moreso) that not even one thing existed. Kinda fucks with you to think about what if there never was anything, there wasn't anything now, and there wouldn't ever be anything.
    Nothing doesn't exist. Everything exists, anything exists, something exists, but nothing does not exist because if it existed it wouldn't be nothing, it would be something.

I get what you're saying though, what if there were no existence. If you think about it, it's kind of miraculous that everything exists because it seems like it would've been just as likely (if not moreso) that not even one thing existed. Kinda fucks with you to think about what if there never was anything, there wasn't anything now, and there wouldn't ever be anything.

12. what really freaks me out is the fact that you cannot, at all, PROVE that any of this is real. You and only you are alone inside of your head, which makes it impossible to prove that your family, friends, or dog is even real. Of course its more convenient and healthy to just assume that we all exist, but its always interesting to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Time. Totally blows my mind. The way something can be measured based on movement makes no sense. Shouldn't speed determine increments of time?
    Colors. There is no way for it to be proven. We are taught one shade is labeled this while through someone else's eyes it'll look like that. But we both will know it by one label even if it's different through different sets of eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. #4114 Tokesmith, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    Forever / eternity. Fucks with my mind.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

15. you dream when you're asleep. I don't think people dream when they die.

Stonerrr

16. If we're in a 3rd dimensional world, what is a 2 or unidimensional world??

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

17. I think he means the gap between consciousness and realizing you're dreaming or wake up and realize you were dreaming.

Sometimes I don't dream (or at least don't recall) and it's just blank between night and he morning.
    So I believe that's what he means when he says death is similar to the nothingness some may go through while unconscious(sleep).

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

18. Imagine jesus hugging you.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

19. I did.. It was k.

Imagine you're playing Counterstrike ( or any other shooter) and you have to play for your life. I mean if you die in game you die in real life. Wouldn't that make an awesome game mode?

20. That's what I was going to say. I only read the first and last page but I'm sure it was mentioned a few times in between.

Sometimes I get caught up thinking about having to die at some point but then I remind myself I did not exist until __ amount of years ago and will only continue to exist another __ amount of years.

It just feels impossible to wrap my head around existing forever. My imagination is predisposed to knowing there is an end to everything. But if I exist forever as a spiritual being then that leaves me unsettled like something isn't right. My mind can comprehend but my imagination runs out.

It's like trying to imagine if there was a beginning to all of this. Because if there was a beginning then there is an end. My theory is life in the universe goes through cycles again and again. Energy can not be destroyed or created. It just bounces around from one place to another. These cycles exist on all scales from galaxies and universes all the way down to molecular and cellular life. So in my theory, there is no beginning or end to anything. We just keep going in circles on new and different paths