Wrist watches

Discussion in 'Fashion & Lifestyle Trends' started by MuhMuhMuhMark, May 13, 2012.

1. Invicta watches always list their prices 7x-10x as much as they sell for so the buyers think they're getting a great bargain but, for me at least, they are well worth the deflated price.
    IE-
    My sister bought me one, listed at $600 for Christmas so I could sell it for car repairs and I haven't had the heart to tell her it's not worth more than she bought it for $80, shhhh. BUT, I do really like the watch she picked out and get lots of compliments on it and it looks like it costs way more than $80. I bought an Invicta on my own a few years ago for around $30 just for gym, swimming, yardwork etc and it shows day/ date; planning on it getting it really banged up. Today it still looks brand new. But if I ever met someone who paid the "$500" price for an Invicta, I might just have to smack a hoe. Gently of course.

I found the Nixon Sultan(~$300msrp) on craigslist for $80 because someone told the seller that the battery was irreplaceable haha.[​IMG]

2. My special edition g shock

Attached Files:

3. I think 200-300 is the sweetspot for watches. But I did just pick this one up for $100ish Invicta Men's 6932 Speedway Professional Collection Chronograph 18k Rose Gold-Plated and Stainless Steel Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

It's got a great color and layout of the face, the rose gold is only plated but as long as you bang your wrist up against anything it wont fade or peel or anything. And the stainless steel is great quality too. It's a great watch to wear casually or professionally I get compliments on it all the time. I even know the time more often because I find myself checkin it out, vain I know.

But if you've got a few hundred to spend you can't go wrong with a citizen watch like Citizen Eco-Drive Mens Perpetual Calendar Chrono - Navy Dial and Stainless Steel BL5470-57L

Lots of neat features such as solar charging that'll last for 40+ years, great quality and worksmanship.

4. genius!

5. That looks really nice. is that the Nixon or the Invitica?

Either way, I'd wear it.

I have a blue Casio digital watch that I wear every day, and have worn every day for at least 3 years (may be as many as 5, I can't remember exactly when I got it, and I don't feel like trying to find some old pictures atm). Works great, and I still get compliments on it sometimes.

But I suppose it doesn't really classify as a "nice watch." I think it was $15-$20. But idk why some nice watches are considered nice. If it dies if I get it wet, would break if I hit it on something by accident, why bother? Is the niceness of watches purely based on looks and aesthetics? I don't really get it.

I also like being able to set an alarm that I know I won't miss even if I'm not near my phone.

6. Hold Yo Rolly Up.

7. as opposed to ankle watches?

8. A lot of it has to do with the materials and features of the watch. Manuals are the cheapest, quartz can be cheap to expensive; and automatics are generally more expensive there are also a lot of solar powered watches which can run a decent buck.

Does it have chronographic ability? Is it a perpetual calender? Does it show the moon phase? How water resistant is it? The materials are also a huge determining factor, quality stainless steal offers a classy shimmer and some serious endurance. But if you want nice steel you gotta pay, lest you pickup some dollar store quality steel. If you want rare metals on a watch, expect to shovel out some dough, $1000+ even just a plated watch can run $600

That nixon is mostly expensive due to the quality of steel and the attention to precise dimensions. I'm sure a dollar store watch will have movement just as fine and keep time just as well but you're paying for the style and class. You're paying for a piece of art.

9. Ashford.com

Got a Victorinox Swiss Army Alpnach for $795 tax and shipping included.

Msrp $1850

10. Bad quality,but my Bulova.

image-2981540148.jpg

11. I want a Bulova 98A106 so bad.

[​IMG]

12. That looks great :D

13. jomashop.com without a question. I got my first seiko there for like $50. They do weekly specials and promotions and have a new flash sale every day.

However my favorite affordable watch brand actually isn't available on that site. If you want a quality affordable automatic watch (not sure if that means anything to you) you gotta go with an Orient.