Sci-Fi fans Out There.

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by CannaChristian, May 5, 2012.

1. I've read consider phlebas and that was good. and yes guys!!! Enders game rules!!! you know they're making a movie for that now right?
    have you read any of the sequels or Enders shadow?
    i think i'm gonna like this thread.
    anyone read much Larry Niven?
    or the best books of them all: The Amber Series?
    :D

2. About a month ago I read Micro By Michael Crichton. was the last book he wrote, and was partially finished by another author.

Was a great book, other than Jurassic Park probably my favorite Crichton novel.
    It's basically just "honey I shrunk the kids" on steroids. A group of grad students get shrunk down to about the size of an inch and get lost in the Hawaiian rainforest, forced to survive.

3. Zelazny' s Amber stories are top notch, but they are fantasy, not science fiction. Still very good and highly recommended.

I bought and have started A Fire Upon the Deep and I really like it so far. Very imaginative and an intriguing take on the geography of cosmology and its workings.

4. It might be more fantasy than Sci-Fi, but i think they're really the same thing.

[​IMG]

If you're looking for traditional sci-fi stuff, this is a good one:

[​IMG]

5. Hell yeah! Enders Game and Speaker for the dead are both amazing. I have read each of them several times and they are just as good each time.

6. I enjoyed all of those except for VALIS, which I've yet to read. Can definitely vouch for PKD's novels. I'd like to add that several of PKD's short stories are uploaded over at Project Gutenberg.

7. I just ordered The Player of Games by IAN M BANKS part of his Culture series.. has anyone read these heard amazing things.

Also ordered The City and The City by China Mieville

8. #48 ollie123453, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
    For anyone who is interested in the Ender series, i've just ordered 8 more books =D couldn't believe how many there are. they're all listed here <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game_(series)">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game_(series)</a>

9. #49 ThatSalsaGuy, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
    I'm going to put William Gibson out there again just cause he is that awesome. A little less sci-fi but I also like Sharon Shinn, particularly the Samaria series. Great if you are interested in different theologies and what not.

10. Hyperion by Dan Simmons, IMO one of the best sci fi books I have ever read, I read Ender's Game over 32 times at age 14-16 and I think Hyperion is just amazing, and saying that over Ender's Game is a lot coming from me.

11. #51 Reflection Eternal, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    Rainbow's End got some slack but I thought it was interesting and worth the read. Augmented reality is the way we're going. Neuromancer was awesome and full of foresight. I agree Ender's Game was great, I'm glad I was assigned the book in college years ago or I might not have found it. Only now my curiosity compels me to see if it sucks on the silver screen. I read idlewild by Sagan's son (I think it's part of a trilogy) but it was well-written and imaginative on its own. The Man in the High Castle was intimidatingly thoughtful and intelligent, I owe it to P. Dick to look into more of his stuff based on that. The last sci-fi I read was Spin and it definitely became a page-turner once I got into it. 

Trying to figure out what to read next...anyone have a pick based on what I've mentioned?

P.S. The Amazon top review on Philip K. Dick's Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said is hilarious.

12. #52 pineapplehalf, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    Currently reading Beggars in Spain, about a genetic modification for new children that removes the need for sleep (for parents who can afford it). Near future. Some interesting ideas, though I'm not in love with the writing style.

Recent sci fi reads before that in reverse order...

* Old Man's War (John Scalzi)
    * Saga, vol. 1 and 2 (Brian K. Vaughan)
    * A Fire Upon the Deep (Vernor Vinge)
    * The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert Heinlein)
    * The Fuller Memorandum (Charles Stross)
    * Teranesia (Greg Egan)

All recommended. My least favorite of the bunch is probably the most well-known (Heinlein), curiously enough.

I also recently tried to get into Pattern Recognition by Gibson three times and couldn't take it. Made me want to puncture his tympanic membrane. But everyone loves him so much, I may give Neuromancer a try at some point.

13. The Trilogy of Five series by Douglas Adams is mind blowingly fun. 

Re-read them many times throughout my life. :) 

14. ^^this would be the Hitchhikers guide collection?^^ haha, one of my favourite collections, highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Dune, Enders Game Quartet (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind), The Halo books as people have already mentioned are actually great reads even if you are unfamiliar with the halo universe..

Orson Scott Card has plenty of books that add to the Enders Game story including another Quartet called Enders Shadow and prequels called Earth Unaware and Earth Afire with a third coming out in June called Earth Awakens. The prequels are actually written by both Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston.

I haven't actually read any of those prequels but one is being shipped and the other will be on its way soon.

16. The hyperion series made me buy a lot of Simmons' books, before I realized he was a horror-style novelist. Didn't read em. But the hyperion trilogy was great.

Someone mentioned malazan, book of the fallen - Although fantasy, the malazan series is amazing. Definately a worthwhile read.

17. Sounds very intriguing, Will definitely make note of this. :)

Has anyone read The Dark Tower series? 

18. Right now I am reading,

The Lies of Locke Lamora ( The Gentlemen bastard series)

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

They are good so far I cannot decide which one to give my full attention.

I also bought Neuromancer which is sitting on my shelf.

The next two books I am going to get are Perdido Street Station and Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.

19. Mortal Engines series - basically its far in the future, mankind almost wiped itself out in the past and went through a dark age and now people travel on massive vehicular cities around the world. Engineering and certain things has advanced while electronics and other things have been mostly lost, making it kinda steampunky i guess but very original. Probably my favorite series of books and one of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy worlds. There is a prequel series which goes into more detail of how 'our' civilisation fell and theirs began, and the origin of Shrike. The preseries isnt as good imo but the first book is Fever Crumb.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. William Gibson, Neil Stephenson, Robert Heinlein - all great. Don't forget Bruce Sterling, another original cyberpunk.

And how about Arthur C. Clarke? An original original.