Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sounds Pretentious but here goes "PsychedelicSam's Magic Honey Elixir"

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Apr 30, 2012.

1. This is a recipe for making pure or close enough cannabis infused honey with no unnatural petrochemicals and alcohol free. By the way, this is version 1. I am now on my third different process for making this and will provide the recipes for all. If you like honey and pot, this is it. Let me give you some background if you'll put up with it.

This item is what I call a honey elixir because I originally do a cold extraction using freezing Everclear and freezing your pot for 24 hours as a decarb instead of heat. The freezing causes the tris to fall off the buds and allows for almost immediate melting into the solvent, Everclear. After the extraction and filtering, the alcohol is boiled out SAFELY by about half so that the thc concentration in the liquor is nearly doubled. So far, nothing but the alcohol in the pot reducing. When you get to the point where you've reduced the "tincture" is what I guess you call it. When you reach this point,if you've used a quart in your original brew, then you would have about half a quart left. You add about the same amount of honey as you have Everclear left so you would pour about 16 ounces of good honey directly into the reduced Everclear. For example, if you use an ounce of top bud - this is a gourmet item - then you would use about a quart of Everclear to extract. Now you've created your tincture and your ready for the real fun to start. Of course, strain out your weed first with some cheesecloth, but not too much and then throw it in the freezer to use with your nest batch. You can't get all so you might as well use whats left in the next batch and so on. Out of these example amounts you should net about 16 ozs of pure honey with a great taste. That's a lot of honey to make sweet treats through the holidays or whenever, like now. You can make things like PsychedelicSam's Spiced Honeyed Pecans or some such thing. This is very potent and probably less than a dropper under the tongue would be felt very shortly. Sweeten your coffee or tea in the morning or whenever. No alcohol, and Honey.

It's kind of time to relax thanks to misfortunes. Think of questions, ideas and I'll add more specifics to the actual recipe. Thanks for the interest.:smoke:

• Like Like x 2
  2. #2 BadKittySmiles, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012

Remember, we use the edible solvents we do, not just because they break down cannabis glandular material, but because they facilitate absorption... if you're boiling out all your alcohol from the end product, you're no longer absorbing NEARLY as much of your potency.

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb, all on its own... sugars and honeys only very slightly aid absorption and only when compared to eating that glandular material all on its own.
    Where they only blend with free-floating cannabinoids, the honey and sugar from these recipes are actually absorbed before the glandular material, with your cell-walls behaving as a kind of 'filter' for removing much of that potency, leaving it behind in the digestive tract.

----

This is a very common internet recipe, it actually sounds word-for-word like this one and several others being passed around (that's a link) so I'd understand how you would be confused, and assume this is a good route... just like firecrackers: while they are common, it doesn't make them an ideal edible. :)

You can definitely absorb and feel something, but it's a far cry from what you'd feel if you used glycerin instead of alcohol and allowed it to remain with the finished product, or if you incorporated pure milk fat, or oil and lecithin with the cannabis or hash first, or if you allowed at least some of the alcohol to remain.

In short, the BEST and most effective honey elixirs, are made either with glycerin, a bit of coconut canna or hash oil or hash/canna butter and lecithin, or the makers simply allow the alcohol to remain.

A plain honey elixir without any of the above, is certainly tempting for those who do not know any better, because it 'seems' natural and has so few ingredients!

But it's not going to be nearly as effective a medicine, or an efficient use of your cannabis.. just like firecrackers, if you ever have dry days, when you can't afford to smoke or eat your meds, you should be avoiding recipes that sacrifice huge amounts of potency.

Also keep in mind that it takes several weeks to even begin making a bioavailable Green or Golden Dragon; alcohol strips the glandular material from the inert plant matter rapidly, but it does not form a solution nearly as fast as oil. Before a solution occurs, all you have are free-floating cannabinoids and clusters of glandular material.

This is why most Dragon recipes recommend heating for an hour or two, then a three-four week, to six month resting period!

Now imagine you've removed the alcohol, all together, and you're relying on sugar-water, or honey, to facilitate that absorption in its place. :eek:

Honey has a ton of beneficial elements, minerals, vitamins, but putting those aside, chemically it's just sugar, and reacts and absorbs, and promotes or rather, does not promote the absorption of other chemicals, any differently, from common table sugar.

In fact, it's why they suggest eating butter with honey, because the butter promotes the absorption, of the nutritional elements that honey contains!

Honey contains some great nutritional components, but as it is, all on its own, it's not the best way or 'vehicle' to get those elements into your body!

It's the same reason we don't just drop BHO or concentrates in our sugar, when making hard candy!

Doing so 'works', but only if you eat many multiple times the material required when more efficient processes are used.

---

A history lesson :

The original concept for honey elixirs came from India, where street doctors and simple vendors would combine pure milk fat, cannabis and honey, heat them gently for a period of hours, and then allow them to age for months at a time... in other words, they relied on the pure milk fat or clarified butter (or more likely, 'ghee' a generally, probiotic, milk fat), to promote absorption! Others used high-fat cream, and heated until all the water from the cream had evaporated, leaving them with pure milk fat, milk solids, their honey and cannabis.

People mistakenly assumed, as word of the elixir traveled, that because it just had the word 'honey' in the title, that honey was all it took, to make it.

As usual, we 'Westerners' have misunderstood and complicated things, and the misinformation has spread. :p

---

It's also worth mentioning that in a home freezer, which can only barely achieve sub-zero (F) temps, and even in one which does get as low as -5 or -10, it can take months to fully decarb and activate the material, and it's a very variable process especially where most home freezers all reach different temperatures based on the manufacturers settings, and based on what they contain, and how often they are opened during the process (if after waiting several weeks, you take it out a week too soon, it may not even be close to decarbed yet).
    This is why folks can store their large quantities of cannabis in their freezers, for months, without any noticeable activation occurring (which would lead to a weaker smoke.. decarboxylation is a form of degradation and it occurs instantly while smoking, but if it's already occurred, the same level of damage and degradation still occurs upon exposure to heat, resulting in a slightly greater loss of potency.. it's also why extending the heated decarbing process too much, before submerging in oil, will produce much weaker edibles).

I would recommend using dry-ice if that's the direction you'd want to take... it just takes sixty minutes to several hours of exposure to dry ice, which is about -109 F (or around -78c), then brief exposure to warm, dry air; it's still quite variable, and dry-ice decarboxylation where cannabis is concerned hasn't been studied as much as we'd like, but it's better than 'hoping for the best' with your freezer, after months and months of waiting, and fortunately where it's a reaction that does not rely on heat, leaving it in a little too long is anywhere from much less, to not at all damaging to your potency, when compared to heat-decarbing. :hello:

----

Keep in mind I'm truly not trying to bring you down, and I'm definitely NOT saying this doesn't work at all!

People have been cooking with cannabis that has not been pre-decarbed, and they've even been eating it raw, for thousands of years!

Just like some people eat pure hash, with very minimal processing, to achieve some amount of effect, too.. just like some people find firecrackers work fine for their situation!

These 'methods' are used and can potentially work for some people, but at the cost of a great deal of potency, and they require eating several doses-worth to achieve the desired effect. :)

And just like firecrackers don't work at all, for many patients and recreational users, whose bodies are accustom to the rapid and reliable delivery of a high quality oil, improperly made tinctures and elixirs, which work for some people, do not work for others, at all... there's a difference between quickie canna butter, with free-floating cannabinoids, and a quality oil. These methods are more comparable to the quickie canna butter, and should work fine, if only comparatively speaking, for people who have never had anything but lower-end butters and oils.

It's the patients who are used to high quality edibles, who are the ones who especially need to avoid such methods. :)

Hope this helps clear things up, and that it helps you to adjust to the effective, true methods for honey elixir, that will allow you to use your meds much more efficiently. :)

Good luck, and have fun! :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  3. In fact, I got the idea from the same recipe you linked but with some ideas of my own. I'm familiar with the history of cannabis and it's uses through history and it failures. I find processing with kief or hash like you to be much more potent and enjoyable, but right know I do what I can with what I have and right now it's not enough bud to turn into hash for edibles. So I use the bud and see what I find useful. I researched the rudiments of this recipe til the cows came home. Knowing already enough organic and food chemistry to understand the principles, I knew some was bs but with tweaking could have some value. My purpose for this recipe was to create something tasty for a change that I could use in some gourmet recipes for deserts and would still have a kick. The honey spiced pecans sounded good but how to get the honey really spiced was not going to be easy, especially since sugars don't make good extractors. I just wanted to add special nuts to brownies or snacks or anything to spice up the recipe. Butter and oils are no contest to learn to make and mostly ho hum. I'm a hobbyist gourmet cook. "Ho Hum" wasn't good enough for me or mine. I spent hours researching "cannabis honey" and found most to be mostly bunk.

I changed some things to the recipe such as freezer time, processing, reducing the alcohol, which has been the key. If I take the grain alcohol and reduce it enough to double or triple the thc content, then add just that much honey or such item and reduce it down to just honey and that special Everclear aftertaste. Whatever the reason, the honey "elixir" works great. Whether it just retains what's left behind by the alcohol, which was the original intent or the Mother Earth contents of honey enhancing it's goodness, it worked. If a half dropper under my tongue with my tolerance will pleasant buzz me with less smoking through the day, then more power to it. I add to coffee in the morning, tea at night, add to smoothies and anything else I might want a little sweetening. About 3 hours ago I got home from back surgery therapy and made a little chocolate milk (about 6 ozs) and added a couple of small droppers (too heavy to stay in the dropper for long) shook it up with a shaker. 3 hours after that drink I still haven't felt the need for a joint even with the therapy pain, and I haven't rubbed any coconut on the back either, to think of it. Of course, someone will say that it was the milkfats from the 1% milk I use that freed it up put I know differently tho they might have added something. Whatever it is is working and makes great desserts and tastes like honey. When I first mentioned the spiced pecans, several people started to make requests for the recipe, so I'm giving it to them.

Just another point about potency. I made this elixir in part to give to a friend with pre-MS to see if it might help. She is a patient and has a high tolerance and a grower husband always looking for new treatments. I gave her an ounce dropper bottle and told her to use a half dropper under her tongue because she must weigh 80 pounds soaking wet. I wasn't aware of her tolerance level at the time. She didn't think it was so great. Then she thought of her tolerance and used a dropper full. She states she had not felt such relief on such an amount in years. Due to her reaction, I have now been offered a position in the dispensary when it opens soon and acting as a cannabis chef. I have a knack for this. If I can get hold of serious quantity of weed, then I will be able to do more and better. I know my cannabis ancient history and this would give me a chance to go over some of those old recipes and see what can be restored, or look at one of yours to see if there are other uses it can to put to or improved upon. Right now I'm looking at things that taste better than the usual canna butter and that might get others involved.

I appreciate the history lesson. I'm sure someone learned something. When I mentioned the honey elixir, I believe many were asking because it is a sweet cannabis product that doesn't leave the taste in the mouth. I have also made this using the tears method as a reconstitution and now I taking my version of the tears down again and don't know whether I'll make something more or just smoke it all. My 42 years experience ensures that what I'm feeling is real because I use it so many different ways. I have done a lot with pot over the years that people have said is impossible and it definitely wasn't. :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Let me just clear something up. There is no issue in whose right and whose wrong here. BKS in the post made a lot of history available to a lot of people who would never have known about the reasons somethings work better than other when it should seem the other way around. I am a quality hound like BKS, but for me quality is in the eye of the beholder. I'm coming off serious spinal surgery that makes creating many of the best creations simply limits. And not having an income that allows me to make the best can be quite trying at times. I have been fortunate to have a couple of friends who've donated quite a bit of high trim and popcorn but for cause but most of my most experimental recipes comes from my pocket (bare) so I have more at stake to lose. If I screw up the product, then I go thru a lot of pain for the next month.

My goal right now is to make effective cannabis recipes that also leave that aftertaste of pleasure we feel after a job well done. It doesn't matter whether it's an extraction or just what's left behind when the alcohol is done. As long as it's good and appeals to the masses more than just a green tasting cookie or brownie which we could all admit to being a little tired of by now. How about some Cannabis Honey elixir spiced pecans to put on top of that brownie or some ice cream or something else munchable?
    If I can make the quality to a transfer worthwhile and that will last a little while so patients or whomever can have a little flavor to their buzz, then I'm going to give the recipe. Thanks to BKS, we now know to expect a shorter shelf life than something else done differently, why our experiment didn't do as well as we'd hoped. But now we're better educated. I haven't found any argument with anything she says. It's just that right now, other than my coconut oil which I make with only me in mind, I'm going to continue making things that not only work but taste great and are fairly easy to do if you know your way around a kitchen. But if I get that dispensary position, watch out because I will have the access for marvels. (I better be careful, I'm starting to sound like Pinky and the Brain):smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  5. In the late 60's and early 70's we used to drive to the upper midwest to harvest ditch weed. They used to grow hemp up there for rope during the war and was never able to fully eradicate it. It wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination but it was pot and that's all the yaahoos cared about. We would cure the fresh weed for several days with dry ice. It would fully dry plus give it a cure enough that it had to be "better" than that Mexican brick weed. Dry ice is going to be an active ingredient in the processing of some future recipes since I already know how to use it for various purposes.

I also consider myself a snob when it comes to firecrackers and such. Making something more worthwhile can easier and more rewarding, but there's no separating a person and their peanut butter, though, is there? BKS mentioned an ancient recipe where a ghee or milkfat would be used to enhance potency over the months it took. I can just imagine what it smelled like by then. Anyway, ghee, milkfat and other ancient processes are going to be a big part of my creations. Things never heard of at the time have now made many of these processes feasible. Not necessarily months but days or weeks to create a treatment. I want to look at the older recipes and see if I can find and fix possible errors or learn new ways. Due to my recent disability, I can only start slow and tasting good and due to financial issues it may be a while before I can afford more noodling. I pay for my own bud for these recipes mostly and it can hurt. No failures yet, though.:wave:

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 PsychedelicSam, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
    :smoke:I'm going to start the recipe for "PsychedelicSam's Magic Honey Elixir". Since it is not a Green Dragon formulation, only takes a few hours to make instead of days or months, cold extraction, and while edibles are supposed to make us feel better, there's no reason why an already good edible can't be made to taste good, too. There are many good recipes on this website that do not follow standard processes and turn out to be very worthwhile. My recipe for the honey elixir honey spiced pecans wasn't particularly designed to be strong (though they were if you ate enough pecans) but they were designed to add some sweetness and flavor to a recipe. The nuts were actually designed for a batch of gourmet canna brownies I was making with a cup of softened canna butter, I also used some coconut oil and then the honey nuts to replace regular pecans. Let me tell you, those were some gourmet brownies.

BKS guessed correctly the other night where I found the original recipe for a cannabis elixir. I even have it bookmarked because I referred to it so much. But she assumed that I kept following that thread of thought, but I didn't. I started looking at other thread lines, trying to keep it real. Frankly, I didn't believe this recipe at all and I had been looking for cannabis honey recipes for hours and had learned a lot of things. This allowed a few different ideas that were possible and I followed those up. But it just had to be too good to be true. It sounded like the best and fastest and most organic way to do it that I had access to.

I used to play down "cold extraction" of cannabis by Everclear, because it used to take so long to make a decent one and I hate the taste of alcohol, but iso is poisonous like the petros. I just couldn't believe 24 hours in the freezer for the bud and the ethanol could provide the strength provided although the science was feasible. So I made my little recipe. If you can't figure out the link BKS provided, I'll reference it at the end of this recipe. It goes on and on and on and on and could be plenty of confusion like other posts. This is how I did it whether it worked or was my imagination.

I used half an oz of Blue Widow, good solid hybrid, and put it in the coldest place in the freezer. Since it took a couple of days to finally get the Everclear and then keeping it in the freezer for 24 hours, gave the bud a great chance to get drier and more decarbed. When the booze has been in for 24 hours, it's time to start. The reason I like Everclear is because it's not a chemical solvent. The original recipe stated that just one treatment with cold filtration would be enough to provide the strength it described.

1. Using one half ounce of prime bud in freezer at least 24 hours and more if possible. Freezing the pot causes the trichromes to freeze and fall off the buds which makes it easier for the alcohol to melt it an extract it.
    2.I used a pint mason jar since I only used half oz. If you use a full ounce, use a full quart jar.
    3. Crunched up the frozen weed but didn't finely ground. I use a small food processor to just break the buds down.
    4. Put all your weed into the jar.
    5. Pour the cold Everclear until the the weed is just covered, then pour about the same amount over the week line. The ratio is 1 qt Everclear to 1 oz of pot.

My back is hurting so quitting for now. More to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. After a brief preamble here, on to more recipe. A point that I want to make about ancient recipes the shaman used or the base for Christ's healing elixirs. It all had to start somewhere, right? My belief is that cannabis is a holy candidate for the title. I'm not a religious zealot although I am and have always been a cannabis zealot. The only reason I bring this up is that others on this thread have brought up ancient references and even stated that there must have been something that caught their attention along the way, whatever you call it. Our medical marijuana is supposed to be so much stronger (I don't know if I agree) than the ancient strains but I believe that many of those things were based on what would have been available to ancient man. I imagine the important priests, shaman, whatever, probably used all parts of the plants for various potency, but the common recipes that might be used at feasts and are meant to provide the same "fun" like their meads. Many of those types of recipes were used with the leafs, stems, everything (except the good bud) that could be used and all would have a good time. A lot of those comments about ancient recipes are often word of mouth and never really written. Considering all that, the people who build the Pyramids, Atlantis(?), the Incans, Aztecs, Greeks, the mid easterners and their great hash and trade routes, space stuff, astrology. It they could get that right, cannabis too. With the changes from then and now, we should be able to refine a lot of those items into working products using what we know now and staying natural. They didn't have petrochemicals to use then and got results so with what we know now, we should be able to keep it like that. That is what my recipes are trying to do but with the high potency available and updated technologies and vocabularies. Something now has a long fancy named process now but was just called an elixir or a potion or whatever but really means it got activated or it wouldn't have those special meaning descriptions, unless you're a snake oil salesman of which there have been many thruout the ages.

Here's what I wanted to say. Apparently somewhere along the way I stuck my foot in my mouth and halfway down my throat by writing about this process I used with a cold extraction. I called it a form of "decarboxylyation" of the marijuana thc molecule, because after a lot of research-hours-on differences in decarbing on more than this website and another few hours on trying to research good tasting gourmet recipes and how to make them, I called a process by what it accomplished and not by what it was technically called anymore. I'm still happy with "magic" and let it go from there, but others jumped on and a discussion started brewing on whether such a process could even exit, let alone work. I have years of experience with dry ice and know how the cold can change how things work. Just think, everything shrinks with freezing and expands with heating except ice which does just the opposite. So I am admitting I may have created a misnomer by saying this is a decarbing process, though it accomplishes a similar process. So now let's get back to all the threads in hand and talk recipes and not what something is called when it has a zillion synonyms. This will continue with the next one but I'm spent too much time on this and must rest for a while. Be back later.:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Not that anybody cares, but I am going to make this again and am actually already in the process. I got slammed by a lot of people on GC for this recipe, saying it's not viable and the buzz was in my imagination. I gave it to a lot of people and they all raved about it. I made it to be able to use in the hospital after back surgery and rehab. I didn't smoke for a month and this elixir helped greatly during that time. I was about ready to believe it was a fluke until a friend to whom I had given a bottle brought the empty bottle back to me and said it had remained potent for the 3 months. I had an extra ounce of trim and bud that I had been saving for a special project and decided to use it here again.

After everyone told me here that it wasn't possible, I did a lot of research on it. I ran across the concept of "solvent exchange" where you extract with one solvent, usually alcohol, then add another solvent-oil, butter, glycerin, sugar-and boil out the alcohol which leaves the thc in new solvent. This is the process used by BKS in her canna concentrate. She uses alcohol then transfers it to coconut oil by evaporating the alcohol. In this case, honey is the solvent because it is a sugar. Not the best solvent, but viable. So I conjecture

Last time I didn't decarb first, but the material was already very dry. This time I did decarb so I'll see if that will make a difference. I will update on the results.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've read bad kitty smiles stuff on this topic. It will be interesting to see the results

10. subbed for results, and to read this later on. Too much text for me right now ;)

11. Ok, here are the results: POW! Home Run!

It was not a fluke. It works very well and I don't care what anyone says. It packs a punch in a very small amount. I used an ounce of trim and bud in about fourteen ounces of Everclear then after straining I reduced it down to 6 oz and added the same amount of honey and reduced out the rest of the alcohol. Before I added the honey I sampled the "Gold Dragon" tincture it had made. I added a couple of droppers to a soft drink and before long it was all I could do to stay off the floor. A couple of hours later when only the elixir was left, I put a spoonful on a small bowl of ice cream. That guaranteed the best night of sleep I've had in a long time. This morning I put half a dropper under my tongue and I reached the ozone a short time later. I smoked a joint a couple of hours later and the combined buzz lasted hours.

I don't know whether BKS will tell me again that this isn't possible for the potency I have, but it's real. I made it again just to see if I could have been mistaken. I had been saving this material for a good project, but was leery of trying this again after all the negative feedback I got from it. When my friend told me that the elixir I gave him from the first batch stayed potent and he had just finished it. So now I've done this twice and each time has been great. For me that means it's a keeper.

I believe that this same process can be used to transfer the THC from the alcohol to glycerin or coconut oil. :smoking:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Here's a potency update. It has now been about 3 weeks since I made this last batch and it is as strong as ever, if not more so. Instead of slurping it all down, I'm storing some just to see how it ages. A previous critique of my process implied that any potency would be short lived because it was a suspension and other reasons. I had friends that had some that I had given them for 3 months with continued potency, but I want to test it myself. I take some nearly every day, though. I really like it. In fact I'm making some more tomorrow with some good Sativa.

Many people question this process but I don't know anyone who has tried it on GC. To correct that oversight I'm going to post a tutorial with pictures in the hopes that someone else will try it. Unfortunately, the only camera I have is in my HP Touchpad and it is front only which makes it really hard to see the picture and line it up. I'll try though. This pictorial will also show how to make the Gold/Green Dragon concentrate used to transfer the cannabis goodies to many different mediums-glycerin, honey, oil, citric acid or just use the Dragon straight up. The glycerin and honey extracts are sublingual dosage and quality. If I can get good pictures, I'll post it all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for your post.[​IMG]

14. #14 PsychedelicSam, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    I have taken pictures of this process so that other brave souls might consider making it if they can see it done. I'm not much of a photo guy, so I had to go out and buy a small camera. Unfortunately, one of the effects of my disability is real shaky hands so most of my pictures are a little blurry (or a lot). Many were too bad to fix at all and had to be omitted. I guess I should make a little tripod, maybe out of popsicle sticks or something. I will try to take some better ones the next time and try to substitute them.

1) All products used except utensils Starting off.jpg

2) Filtering items: Cheesecloth in potato ricer first, then gold metal coffee filter and finally a paper coffee filter. Ready to filter.jpg

3) + 4) Cold processed tincture ready for first stain with cheesecloth. Ready to strain.jpg cheesecloth first strain.jpg

5) After additional filtering with metal and paper coffee filters, product is placed in double boiler away from fire and is reduced by half, doubling original strength. Ready for solvent transfer.

concentrated Dragon.jpg

6) Place equal amounts of concentrated Dragon and Honey. For this example, 5 fl. ozs of each.

solvent transfer.jpg

7) Psychedelic's Magic Honey Elixir. 3/4 dropper dosage, 50 doses per ounce.

Elixir final product.jpg
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thank you so much for time and effort in these posts! I'm a new medical MJ user and cannot smoke due to damaged lungs from when I was a child. I am learning all I can about edibles because they have made such a difference in my life. I am also kind of a health nut with food so all of your concern and caring to do it the best way makes a big difference to me. In fact, you are the reason I joined this forum. I'm really excited to try the honey elixir and will be following your other posts. Namaste. :wave:

• Friendly Friendly x 1

16. Thank you much. This honey elixir was my first excursion into tinctures and it exceeded my expectations. A lot of people didn't think it would work but I had researched it really well and found many other examples of the recipe. I feel that I need to correct the amount of weed I used. When I initially wrote it up I said that I used half an ounce per pint of Everclear, but I misspoke. I actually use an ounce per pint. I think that I corrected it later but not sure if it was this thread or another. I wanted to clear this up because it would make a difference in the final potency.

I use this elixir everyday. It's a good daytime buzz at this potency, about 1 dropper. I double it at night and keep a bottle by my bed to help alleviate my pain issues during the night. It's great under the tongue or in a drink or drizzled on ice cream or honey recipes. I'm planning on making baklava with some soon. It lasts for quite a while, but with this method using the Dragon as a base, you can make a batch of any size in about an hour. Also a lot of other things can be done other than the honey by using that base. In fact, I'm making some as I type this.

Let me know if you have any questions here or PM me.:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ok, so yes, it does pack a punch the way you do it. But with absolutely NO loss of material and barely any more effort, you could extract into a little coconut oil (with some lecithin to make the cannibinoids more even) and then mix that into the honey, then it WILL be more potent, and it WILL taste better. And honestly, it'll be much less of a waste of weed like the way you do it.

18. This is the way that I make my coconut oil, also. I happen to like the taste of coconut and don't need it flavored. I wanted the straight honey to use in honey recipes and also sublingually. I use canna coconut oil like there's no tomorrow but it doesn't fit for every occasion. Agreed that the coconut oil is a better solvent for thc. I make my glycerin tincture this way also and the coconut oil is still a better solvent than that. Those are things that are taken into consideration when deciding which medium to use for the transfer. If I decide I want to increase the potency even more, I just reduce the Dragon further before the exchange. By using the exchange, all the alcohol is removed leaving the honey infused with the thc left behind.

There is no waste of weed. There is no plant material used in the solvent exchange past the Dragon. As far as I'm concerned, 50 excellent doses per fl oz is adequate for me especially since I can concentrate the dosage as I see fit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 PsychedelicSam, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
    I have now made this several times and have altered my approach somewhat in the Dragon phase. When I originally made this, I would make a pint of Dragon from an ounce of good trim and buds then reduce it by half, leaving about a cup of concentrated Dragon. I then used the plant matter again in some oil or butter or something. Now I do 2 runs of the Dragon with ethanol and reduce that by half which gives me about a pint of concentrated Dragon and just added another day and a half for twice as much.

After straining the weed from the first run, I return it to the jar and refill it with Everclear and put back in the freezer for 24 hours again, shake for 15 minutes, back in the freezer for 4 hours, shake again and strain 3 or 4 times. Add that to the first run and then pour in a double boiler setup away from flame and reduce by half. This gives you twice as much concentrated Dragon for minimal effort. Then you make your elixir or other products.:D

Here's today's labors just finished. Haven't tested yet but will soon. Should be heavy because it's all Banana Kush.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. jesus this is a thread of tl;dr. i'll try again when i have some extra attention span lol.