Canadian Marijuana law change?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ehngage, Apr 27, 2012.

1. downer you need to think positive :smoking:

2. #22 Rasta Eh, May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
    If this passes nothing will change for me, fuck I love BC haha. Although it would be awesome to be able to bring a bong or hookah across the ferry's and shit without any trouble :D

EDIT: I'm gonna be optimistic about this, Matt has a good case and it's about time major changes happen to marijuana laws. Hopefully those changes start in Canada, go Matt!

3. i have hope for this, but at the same time i doubt anything will change. so if this court decides it to be unconstitutional and legalizes cannabis how do they plan to initiate this into society? do they already have a plan to sell us weed to make profit, have they not thought that far ahead. will there be a maximum weight you can have? will it still be illegal to grow your own?

also, how long after cannabis is legalized until the negative social stigma attached to it dissapears?

4. ^ If Matt Mernagh wins, the courts will rule that the prohibition laws are now defunct. Therefore, there will be absolutely no rules or regulations as far as cannabis is concerned until new laws are made (which could take a while).

5. This. The government will have to create new laws regarding marijuana and then get them through the Senate in order to become effective which could take a very long time.

6. There is nothing positive about Harper. If the court decides it is to be legal, the govt will be given a grace period to appeal which, make no mistake, they will. On the bright side, the mmar regulations will probably change for the better. It will potentially make it easier for patients to gain access to the program because the govt will be eliminated from the picture, leaving the decision solely to the doctors to decide who can benefit from marijuana. The court dates are also May 7&8.

7. The grace period is over on the 7th. The judge has already made the decision that it will be legal if the government does not make their case, and they have a deadline to do so. That deadline would be on the 7th I believe.

8. Let's just put it this way, if 2 out of the 3 judges rule in favor of Mernagh, and make the ruling that weed should be legal, and somehow it doesnt become legal, we are officially not living in a democracy anymore. There is no point to the court system if the gov't overrules the decision. That is the definition of a dictatorship. We need to respect the rules, and the rules are that Harper does not have as much power as the superior, or supreme court.

If 2 out of the 3 judges rule in favor of Mernagh, based on the judicial system, marijuana will then be legal.

If somehow nothing happens, I will then move to Nepal, and live with the monks whilst smoking some fine hashish.

9. Matt says that they'll be in court for 2 days and then they expect about 90 days for the the court to come to a decision. Even if they lose, they can appeal the ruling. ^^

10. Can the government appeal again? Mernagh said it was the second-highest court in Canada. If they appeal, won't the ruling get stayed until it moves to the next court? I hope not lol, one more reason to visit Canada...

11. Yes they can appeal again, Matt is currently in the supreme court of Ontario and not yet Canada. So he is in the second highest level of court here in canada

12. exactly

13. Damn that blows, because if this judge upholds the ruling they will definitely appeal again. Hopefully this time there is no stay on the ruling and it can just finally be legal.

14. word.....:smoke: something

15. I really hope this passes, 8 doctors refused to sign my mmar what a fucking money scheme

16. So let me get this right. Basically Matt was caught with an "illegal" marijuana grow and was charged. Then he challenged them in court, and won due to the judge agreeing doctors wouldn't sign off recommendations for patients to grow, which undermines the system as a whole. And now the state realized they fucked up and now they wanna take back their decision? I feel like I'm either gunna see a country with common sense and actually cares about its people, or public outrage due to the state undermining its citizens.

17. So excited about this guys! Let's hope Canada can make history!

18. See there won't be a massive public outrage there will be some upset stoners and no one else will really give a fuck and things will get swept under the carpet. It is so incredibly simple if our government and laws actually functioned how they were ment to, but they don't and Harper will probably get away with doing whatever. Unless he's had some sort of extreme change of heart.

19. Yea, I see what you mean. If the LAPD in the US can get away with beating up with Rodney King for being black and get away with it and not have shit change and Putin can corrupt a whole Russian government and illegally get re-elected I don't see why people would care about some peaceful pot smokers. Seems so minuscule compared to the shit going on around the world right now. Canada seems to be getting screwed hard. Especially with what I've been reading about Harper, he almost seems like Canada's George Bush.

20. Nobic you hit the nail on the head man. Joe Rogan says it best In the union "life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think" and it couldn't get any more right when it comes to laws on marijuana. It is laughable to us educated people that weed isn't legal. It scares me that weed isn't legal, honestly i dont even understand how people create An argument against it, the misinformation is disgusting.