Stealth attic grow- WAYYYY too hot! How to cool down stealth grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hempfieldhunter, Apr 18, 2012.

1. So! A buddy of mine wants to grow in his attic- he has tried a rubbermaid container with a makeshift insulation system in it which he used in the winter for mushie growing and then has 2 cfl's in there. WELL when the temp outside was in the upper 70's low 80's the temp inside there was about 112! WITH 3 POCKET FANS RUNNING! Next attempt was a trash can lined with an emergency blanket- with 3 fans again and one CFL it was 116!

Any ways of keeping a STEALTH grow cooler? Neither of theses set ups had good fresh air exchange, maybe a way to do that could help? A different light maybe? Maybe a Rubbermaid tub with out anything in it? But how to make that light proof?

Any ideas or links to grows with this problem would be AWESOME! Thanks!

2. do you have an inline fan? if not, get it ASAP. or a portable AC or a DIY hillbilly AC. look it up on youtube. all you need is a cooler, a very good fan and some ice packets. you'll need a little elbow grease but i hear it works very very well

3. you simply NEED a powerful fan. 2 would be better - one in, one out. Its only going to get much,m much worse as summer continues to bear down on us.

Good luck. Attic just may not be the best place for you.

jerry.

4. Jerry I agree 100%! But that's where it's gotta be :-( and inline fans from amazon? Any stores that sell them?

5. Theres a tutorial somewhere how to turn a regular ac into a portable..it's like you build a box over the back and exhaust it out

6. #6 jerry111165, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    Perhaps one "box fan" from home depot or wal mart or lowes at each end of the house - one in and one out? Do you have existing gable end vents? Perhaps you could mount one of these fans mounted inside of each end - one blowing out and one sucking in...put the one sucking in at the "shady" end of the house if there is one?

hth

jerry

Attached Files:

7. I also had this problem growing in the attic. My room went up to 90 some days and had no AC to cool it down.
    What should work is opening every window in your attic so air flows in and out, another thing would be to get great circulation of air in your grow. Get an exhaust fan in home depot. the cheapest one you can find is probably 15 or 20 bucks. I'm telling you, the exhaust fan will help solve heat problem tons!!!

I did a hillbilly AC but had to replace ice in it so many times during the day...
    Jus get great ventilation in your attic and you'll see some great temps.

Heres a pic of that DIY AC, hope it helps you out.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1