Using molasses for yield.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Shizmot, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Molasses is something that I've noticed makes rare appearances around growing. From what I understand it can be used pretty well to increase resin prpduction, in return increasing size of the buds up to 15-25 or even 30%. Which to me sounds like a very large grow addition that done correctly could be a huge HUGE benefit.
    In theory the increase in carbohydrates and sugars are what speed up the production or possibly have extra that comes as waste in the form or resin which isn't bad either.

Does anyone have any good experience using molasses? Tips, techniques ect.

Another and possibly the biggest question I have is what complications and benefits would there be mixing it with CO2? If someone has any experience with both I'd really appreciate some detailed experience with it different combos/results. Using cfl lights sadly but thought I'd mention in case it has any significant effect on the plant.

2. Dude it's used all the time In organic grows. It more helps for flavor for me not really size of the buds. U should check the organic thread

3. #3 filthyhat, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    Hey there shizmot.

I, too, have felt the fiery passion for molasses' sweet embrace. I longed for molasses, and in time I was able to bring molasses into my life. Our time together was short, but I will never forget the time I spent with molasses, or the lessons I learned on those hot summer nights, with molasses by my side.

You didn't specify hydro or soil, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that molasses in a hydroponic system is an absolute nightmare, and best to be avoided at all costs. Dire consequences, colossal mistake. I don't know anything about using it in a soil grow, but in a dwc it's nothing but a huge mess that clogs the crap out of pumps and airstones. Trust me on this. What seemed like a great idea at the time concluded in a disgusting sludge forming on everything, choking out the roots and forcing the plants to develop an entire new root system. Not to mention making it necessary to completely disassemble the hydro setup and clean the crap out of everything. It was awful.

In my opinion, molasses has no place in a grow room and is no longer welcome anywhere near me or anyone in my family. I will not loan molasses a couple of bucks until Friday, and I'm certainly not letting molasses crash on the couch for "a few days". Molasses can just go on about its business, and leave me well out of it.

Maybe you will have better luck with molasses, and I wish you the best. My experience with molasses was on the whole pretty negative.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thank you filthyhat. I'm using a soil grow but so far with your hydroponics grow it seems a bit dangerous. Ill check out the organics page like the other person mentioned but if its a flavor quality thing, I personally prefer the strong clean flavor over a sweeter deeper flavor. Maybe someday you'll hear yours and molasses song and you'll welcome it back as an old friend. But I greatly appreciate your experience and story.

5. It really works for a sweetner, but also a microbes as well. I used it for 4 weeks in my soil and and I had oily sweet buds. I would suggest it if you don't have a root stimulation nute, and want sweet buds. But the roots and the microbes it can provide are outstanding.

As homeboy said above not for hydro though. Seriously though how are you gonna be mad at molasses for being what it is sugar and sticky? Read before action next time.

6. Isn't molasses a key ingredient in Advanced Nutrients "Bud Candy"? I'm pretty sure molasses is a major ingredient in a lot of ferts..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Molasses is basically sugar and cannabis cannot take up sugar from the roots. Complex sugars that our plants use arrise from photosynthesis. It does nothing except possibly attract insects. Do not use!

8. DO NOT take this advice (sorry man)

the carbs in the molasses help with microbial life that inhance the uptake of nutes as well as other things

• Like Like x 2
  9. Alright well I appreciate all the help from everyone, but my main question remains unanswered. Is there a significant increase in yield? And I mean 15% or more. Anyone wwith some experience to clarify this?

10. gonna have to try it and decide your self brah, I love using it but others dont so just gotta try and see

also if you buy it from a store (not as a plant nute) make sure you get unsulferized

11. Eh I'm not much a grocery store weed grower. Ill find some good quality molasses but I prefer the strong clean taste over aa sweet taste, so if it's just a matter of taste ill skip it. Any complications with CO2 and molasses?

12. grocery store weed grower? haha alright bro enjoy it your way =p

13. Your pain wasn't for nothing at least you can take joy in that I hope. Your story absolutely killed me man. I wish I could "like" it a million times. Considering what molasses is, gunking up a hydro systems seems like it'd be obvious, unless premixed/thinned with something very well beforehand. Even then, I've basically never tinkered with it but from my time in kitchens I'd imagine it would seperate itself and still cause the same issue pretty easily even if thinned somehow first.

I added some into my nutrient water for my last feeding in soil just because from what I could gather it seemed like it +the age old Bloom would be a decent substitute for the high dollar Big bud/bud candy options. Plus I'm not a huge fan of technology and ordering anything online if avoidable. Hopefully I'm not wrong and they're dead by the time my light comes on. I never saw anywhere cept here say Unsulphered, but when I was at the store it seemed like the better choice vs something overly processed so luckily it's what I grabbed.

14. it should say on the bottle if it is unsulpherised

im sure youll be quit happy with the results =)

15. False. Please give me a scientific study backing up this theory.
    False. please provide a scientific study how molasses "increases the flavor/aroma of plants" <----------the article does not have to be weed specific.
    you basically just said what that guy said that you quoted......if used incorrectly, it can attract fungus gnats (bad) and other bugs like soil mites, springtails, etc. (good bugs) molasses does not help with the uptake of nutrients whatsoever...no way, no how. maybe the microbes do, but the molasses by itself - no.
    its going to take alot more than molasses to see a 15% increase in yield.

Plant roots take in nutrients through ion exchange & enzymes (i dont mean the hygrozyme or things you add to your soil.....every living thing has enzymes. "enzyme" is, in a nutshell, a fancy way of saying protein.)

The enzymes associated with plant roots are specifically programmed to "extract" nutrients the plant needs from the soil.

A plant makes carbohydrates during the Calvin Cycle, AKA photosynthesis.......ATPs (adenosine triphosphate) are used to create these sugars during photosynthesis (this is why phosphorus is so important to your plant).

Plants move water & minerals up the xylem, and their excrement is released VIA the phloem. What do plants "poop?" You guessed it - sugar!! They excrete mostly fructose, since it is a combination of a glucose & sucrose molecule. lots of these sugars are used within the plant....but some extra is excreted through the roots.

So, basically, if a plant "poops" sugar, why would you want to feed your plant poop? Would you eat your own poop?

Contrary to what i just said, adding minimal amounts of molasses can sometimes be beneficial WITH AN EXTREMELY HEALTHY SOIL. This means that the soil must have been amended with lots of compost.

When you give your soil lots of carbohydrates with a tiny microbial population, than you are just inviting whatever microbial life is in the air into your soil.....you could get good microbes, or you could get bad microbes (like botrytis, pythium, rhizoctonia, etc.)

The best way to go about adding molasses to your grow would be to create an AACT (actively aerated compost tea=water, compost, molasses...bubbled for 24-48 hours in open air) and dilute that at a 1:8 ratio with water before watering.

As for flavor.........do you really want to know what elements cause flavor and aroma in you buds? the two elements that mostly cause the smells of your flowers are.........sulfur and magnesium!!! dont believe me? go grab a bottle of your (insert hydroponic carbohydrate source here) and look at the back ingredients.....i bet you the only "plant food ingredient" will be magnesium..........maybe sulfur too, it depends on how fancy your overpriced nutrient company wants to label it ;) .

hmmm.....magnesium & sulfur.......magnesium sulfate.....where have i heard that before........oh yes, epsom salts!

thats right - your hydroponic "carbohydrate source" is composed of sucrose, glucose, fructose, epsom salts, and water. this costs the company roughly $1.50 to produce per bottle (probably less), and yet they make a 2000% profit off of us.

i thought us pot growers were supposed to be somewhat of a "family?" i guess not......when you have assholes like "Big Mike" Straumetis & Eugene Yordanov completely selling people on crap they dont need for their plants......at $100 a bottle?!?!?! christ........ :rolleyes:

good salesman. bad people. dont support advanced nutrients.

-OSUB

P.S. I was flipping through a farmer's supply catalog recently (not marijuana related whatsoever), and they had a big hydroponic section right behind their variety of livestock fences. They were actually selling Botanicare nutrients from the catalog! I looked - they carried Veg, Micro, Bloom, and Cal-Mag...........but no carbohydrate source?!?!?!?

the grow companies may be able to fool stupid stoners (thats how they see us), but they cant fool farmers who have been doing it their whole life!!!!

Im not going at anybody here, i just want to make sure everybody has the correct information!!!! :hello: :hello: :hello:

16. #16 smokeNtoke99, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
    Edit: nvm I don't really care

17. #17 smokeNtoke99, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
    Edit: nvm I don't really care

18. Thank you OSUB

19. Capatalism and marketing at it's best. :hello: