I think im a future alcoholic

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by junkheadrev, Apr 16, 2012.

1. So ill start off by saying I'm Half Mexican half Irish.
    This should already prove the point the thread title was supposed to make.
    Also my dad(my Irish side) is a recovering alcoholic.

But I always said I wouldn't be a drinker.
    But now I drink whiskey like water and don't even drink beers unless I'm camping or with family outdoors and just wana relax but not black out.
    I drink nearly every night and get wasted every weekend.
    And ever since I moved its hard to find dealers because I'm in a hick town.
    The dealers I find are super inconsistent.
    That used to be my main crutch but now....

Anyway right now I'm drinking cheap vodka because I'm low on funds but still couldn't be sober.
    What makes it worse is now I'm a solo drinker.

Anyway.
    Are their any blades with advice on how to beat the drinking fever or story's of success.

Please don't suggest "just stop" because its not that easy.
    Imagine if I said just stop smoking weed or cigs.
    Also no AA meeting suggestions because I'm not that far gone yet.

2. order some herbs online you can find some interesting opiate like or stimulant like herbs that smoke or is put in tea:smoke:

3. Dont order that fake shit ^, trust me bro just smoke herb.. Ive realized long ago that I was an addict (used to be really bad.) But I eventually just started smoking a bunch of weed to overcome my addiction and switched that to my DOC. I know its substituting one for the other, but knowing me personally I "needed" something to function. Ill prob smoke till the day I die but atleast that wont kill me. Hit me up if you need any advice dude :smoke:

4. Like the person above me, the best I've found is substitution. I've been to all kinds of rehab, court-ordered therapy, etc. Still, the best I can come up with is substitution, if I'm being completely honest (which I'm drunk enough to be, at the moment.) Don't drink every day. Don't smoke every day. Don't ____ every day. Switch shit up. Maybe you'll live longer. Maybe not. Wish I could be more encouraging, but hell, that's reality for you. And so we drink...

5. sounds like drinking is in your future

6. No AA meetings because you're not that far gone yet? Go to AA. You don't have to wait until you have more consequences to go to a meeting; it's really not a shameful thing to do. It has the highest success rate of any program I've heard of. Also, don't let anyone tell you it's a bunch of bullshit to make you Christian. You get to define "God" and you don't have to even call it that. It could be the flow of life, the things that just happen in the Universe, etc.. Shit, your "higher power" could be the group of other alcoholics that give you advice, it could be the legal system, whatever...

I go to AA and I don't pretend its the answer to all my problems, but they've helped me stop drinking. Go to an open meeting if you aren't sure you're an alcoholic. Talk to someone there and ask what they did to stop drinking. My alcolism fucking sucked. Im almost 90 days sober, and I feel SO MUCH better physically and mentally than I did before.

Give it a shot, and don't think it's a bad idea because you "aren't that far gone..."

7. #7 Runningw235, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012

Yeah you find substitutions, but if you're serious about making your life better you don't substitute alcohol with other drugs...:rolleyes:

Do what I said. I still thought AA was stupid for a while, but go with an open mind, talk to people, and go several times.

Edit: Feel free to PM me man. I know exactly how you feel. I was in college and had a badass gpa blah blah blah, but don't wait until you fuck your life up more before you get help from other people.

8. As cynical as I was in my last post, I'll vouch for this. SOME AA programs are not all about proselytizing (any more.) I recently had to attend quite a few sessions for a family member, and I was impressed in their lack of bullshit. I went in intending to completely obliterate them with my superior logic....while I was definitely smarter than most of the people I met there, and had to bite my tongue a few times...I ended up not really having a good reason to argue with any of them. They didn't give me anything that stopped me from drinking, but hey, I wasn't (and am not) actively trying to, at the moment. If you really believe you have a problem and really are looking for help, AA might not be a bad idea.

9. Oh I'm quite serious about making my life better. How I do that is absolutely none of your fucking business, buddy. :rolleyes:

10. Yet your inferiors are the one's not drinking anymore.

11. I've been to a few AA meetings.
    I went when I was little to support my dad.
    I even stole a 24 hour sober coin because I thought it was cool.
    But I might think about it

12. And....?

Drinking doesn't make you a bad person, or a stupid person. That's the stupidest fucking assertion I've ever heard.

What job are you working? How are your personal relationships? How well-thought out is your worldview? What are you giving back to your community? How happy are you? How healthy are you?

These are the questions that matter. Everything else is pure bullshit. If I can be a good person and still get drunk sometimes, then who the fuck are you to tell me I'm living my life wrong? You are the kind of person that turns me off of AA programs. ;)

13. AA can help, regardless if you think you're not that far into addiction yet. You're definitely at a high-risk for addiction. Careful mang.

14. Letting go of your ego is one of the first steps to overcoming alcoholism bro. Something you obviously haven't exactly mastered yet.

If you enjoy being an alcoholic then whatever but you said you're trying to stop drinking. So don't be insulting people who have already made more progression in life than you as if you're better than them or something...

Alcoholics tend to be living in their own little world by the way, when they're still drinking. ;)

15. Set short term goals for yourself. Make them managible and realistic so you don't set yourself up for failure. In this case would be relapsing.

I use to get pretty much black out wasted every weekend, for the longest time. Until i realized i was using it as an escape mechinism, and was becoming depedent on it. I would drink that shit just to feel good, just to function. It got even worse at the end of the school year last year. I hyperextended my knee and couldn't walk for a month. I couldn't do anything besides sit at home. I would make my self screw drivers through out the day to maintain a steady buzz. And it definetely numbed the pain, both physically and emotionally. But thats exactly it, the booze only numbed the pain, the pain was still there.

I realized booze is not the answer, my liver definetely feels the same. and is happier with me now (i think). Smoked allota weed and soul searched.

OP start setting some short term goals to get the ball rolling. You'll be feeling a lot better. You gotta be strong tho and stay disciplined, cuz you know your gonna feel like you NEED a drink to take the edge off.

16. Were in a discussion forum, and OP wants advice on recovery. Telling him to just use several different drugs is shitty advice.

Anyway. OP go to AA for a while. The meetings are only an hour. Just talk to one person after each one, and say you're "new" and you want to hear how they got sober. Getting help from other people is never a bad thing.

17. Yes, you're a magical doctor who can diagnose alcoholism from over the internet without knowing a single thing about me. Congratulations!

18. #18 Meursault, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
    Bullshit. You obviously don't know a goddamned thing about how the "medical community" deals with alcoholism, because it's basically that. "Oh here's some xanax to take while you're withdrawing from alcohol, good luck!" Lmao. My advice is no different, other than that it includes weed and other unmentionables.

If I really wanted to be controversial (not that it's hard when there's so many uninformed idiots running around,) I'd suggest something like an Ibogaine clinic...which has much higher success rates than any AA program...but then I'd have to explain myself even further to people like you....:rolleyes:

This is something I've already agreed with, and will do so again.

Talk of drugs other then mj isnt permited
    ~YODA

19. Great advice for OP. Im gonna give you a plus rep. Part of the benefit of going to AA and making friends there is you're asking other people for help instead of trying to figure it out on your own, which rarely works for anyone.

20. I'm no doctor. You said so yourself you wanna stop drinking. Whatever man it's your life.