Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

1. is rabbit manure good fertilizer ?....i have some compost from the local gardening store will that work? miracle grow sphagnum peat moss?? or any would work? misting water thoroughly or like hose the soil?.... sorry for all the questions i just want to be sure im doing this correctly...i want to try something small first just to see how it goes... u kno... eh but THANKS ALOT :gc_rocks:

2. Yes, rabbit manure is good fertilizer.

The compost from the local gardening store could be good or it could be very bad. I would probably advise to look for it from another source, like an organic farmer or something.

No on any Miracle Grow products. Some go this route anyway but most organic people will advise against it because of how evil Monsanto is. Seriously, bad, bad, bad company.

You don't really want to compact the soil down so a 'soft' watering is better than a 'hard' one but cannabis will grow through pretty much anything so I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

3. Organic farmer... Hmm I suppose I could take time and find that somewhere...ok no miracle grow!!! And mist the soil thorough should be best:) thanks for the pointers btw

4. Check Craigslist for local compost

5. And then read here - http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html - read this and then read it again. It is well worth doing some light homework before jumping in too quickly - this is something that can be ridiculously simple, but you want to get it right the first time.

By not mixing a soil right the first time you stand the chance of wasting 3-4 months worth of valuable time. 1-2 (or more!!) days of homework is certainly worth months of wasted time.

Do your homework.

J

6. so my general rule of thumb with manures is to use only manure from vegetarian animals, and this seems generally consistent with most recommendations. on the other hand, i've been reading various gardening threads concerning adding cat poop (with biodegradable litter only) to worm bins... ? does anyone per chance have any insight or experience with this?

7. No....but I've had cats and the smell alone would be enough to turn me away from it! Maybe if the cat was on a fish only (no beef/chicken, etc) diet and the bin was outside....nah, I still wouldn't do it.

8. I wouldn't dream of adding anything but herbivore manure to a worm bin.

J

9. finally got my guys yesterday, all cozied up with rabbit poop and old bananas :hello: i'm gonna call the cat turds a non starter lol

10. Lol cat shit. I swear i thought you were trolling.
    Why not kill two birds and train the cat to snap em off directly in the worm bin? ROTFL!

11. is it so remarkably different from cow shit and horse shit? i'm glad you got a good laugh. there seem to be a lot of people successfully composting cat and dog waste on numerous gardening forums, but i thought i'd ask here, because there are very knowledgeable growers here, like jerry, whose judgment i trust. of course, there are also plenty of less knowledgeable people too, who like to say nothing until a greater mind has done the heavy lifting, and then come in afterward to demonstrate how on board they are :). good job.

12. Yeah, it's different. You get a better end result with manure from herbivores than you do with manure from carnivores.

13. i know it's different, and i know why. but i want to hear it from the smart guy. thanks tho

14. Then why ask....? And yeah it is different. You typically feed horses alfalfa.
    What do you feed cats? Processed bullshit mainly compsed of animal proteins and corn. Once you introducee animal proteins you start to attract the wrong kind of bacteria. You can potentially create a breeding ground for anaerobic bacteria.
    Theres plenty of smart people around who have ALREADY READ THE FORUMS and giving you good info.
    Dont put cat shit In your worm bins home slice.

15. *sigh* oh jesus. thanks for the only slightly condescending explanation, but i want to hear what deuce's opinion is, since my question was so laughably absurd that he or she thought i was trolling. also, don't presume you know what i feed my cat. home slice.

16. So you ARE just trolling. :/

17. no, i'm fucking sick of the attitude that asking questions to reconcile two equally popular but entirely opposite ideas is an opportunity to demonstrate how convinced you are that your methods are the only ones that work, and to insinuate that doing otherwise is so ridiculous as to prompt laughter. organic growing is the *fucking last* place on this site that should ever be a theater to that kind of thinking; it's precisely the same reason that i had such a hard time to begin with getting answers about true organics, because every asshole out there, who often hasn't even been growing for very long, is convinced that they're going to tell you what's what. for example, probably 90% of growers, even a lot of experienced ones, are convinced they need bottled nutrients, and that hydroponics will always beat soil regarding yield. further, they can't wait to laugh in your face and tell you what a knob you are when you ask "can you grow in just soil, with no nutrients?" the same shit happens in the organics section too.. "you buy bottles?? :rolleyes: get a grip." getting information without a piss ant attitude is damn nigh impossible, and it's fucking obnoxious. so after i've done my READING OFF TEH FORAMZ, and then other forums filled with stories of seemingly-successful composting of pet wastes i had previously believed to be completely unusable, i decide to ask people whose opinion carries weight with me. it's a legitimate question, and it's not at all absurd to think that if it was a usable resource recently discovered to be viable, as things like castings tea, mycorrhizae and rock dust all once were, there might be a few here who've dabbled a bit. at the end of the day it's fucking hard to get into organics because it's extremely difficult to stumble onto the info which leads you in the right direction unless you already know what to look for, and when you ask questions you're often met with incredulity without any apparent context. and that's shitty. because organic growing is SO fucking easy, interesting, beneficial and enjoyable. it should be a welcoming environment, not a place to deride people for trying to learn things.

18. #958 Shark bait, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
    Not all shit is created equal. Animal waste typically will attract unwelcome guests. If I was going to use cat or dog waste I would do outdoors, not worth chancing with my indoor world.

The recommended composts all come from animals that eat Vegetative foods, it is my understanding that some folks like to know what the animal has eaten. As with every thing else it's only as good as what it's made of.

I also think that the meat eating animal waste will take longer to break down, and I doubt there is much nutritional value.

As I typed this I was thinking I have no desire to smoke cat shit. I know what my cat eats, and it ain't a salad.

Peace

Edit

Also might I suggest, if you really want to do this, start a journal and keep us up to date. There is nothing wrong with experimenting that's how we learn

19. #959 tripleduece249, Dec 23, 2012
    I didn't mean to offend you, mind. And i wasn't trying to insinuate the question was absurd but i nearly shit myself laughing at the mental image of my cat knockin out home runs into my worm bin.

I suppose if you were putting together a big one square meter pile of compost, that a little cat dookie wouldn't hurt anything but im no expert. In a permaculture scenario they use any and all farm animal feces to get a pile cooking but in small amounts in comparison to plant materials.

Home scale, like in a tumbler, i don't think it would work out so well.

I've seen the question asked if you could use human waste if the person was vegan. They got a bunch of mixed answers from a group of gurus of course but the overall consensus was that it doesn't really have the consistency or composition that you're looking for in animal end product for composting.

I guess you got to ask yourself. Is your goal in composting your cat shit so you don't have to dispose of it and add to landfills or because you want to make compost for growing food or other consumables?

20. #960 tripleduece249, Dec 23, 2012
    According to The Rodale Book of Composting. Cat and dog feces are under the list of materials to avoid. It is rich in nutrients but harder to handle and can contain parasites and pathogens. It also noted there are special composters available for dog droppings that are safe but i assume this is just as a green alternative to throwing them away...it doesn't specify.

It says human feces shouldn't be used unless properly treated and permitted to age sufficiently. Even then disease is still a concern. "Urine alone can be used quite safely, however."