Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

FawkingRight

FawkingRight

Yumz

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

This thread is excellent to help build a new organic soil - http://forum.grassci...-beginners.html

However, if you want to go even simpler, get yourself some good compost, worm castings, a bag of ProMix and a small sack of Epsoma Garden Tone or Tomato Tone and mix the peat at around 65%, castings and compost mixed for te balance and add two or three cups of the fertilizer for every cubic foot (7.5 gallons) of soil mix. Wet thoroughly and let it sit for a month - plant, keep moist throughout the grow with tap water, harvest, enjoy.

There are some pictures in my own grow journal in my signature...or go into the "Organic Grow Journals" forum and start poking around. There are a lot of good organic gardeners in there that will be glad to help you.

J

is rabbit manure good fertilizer ?....i have some compost from the local gardening store will that work? miracle grow sphagnum peat moss?? or any would work? misting water thoroughly or like hose the soil?.... sorry for all the questions i just want to be sure im doing this correctly...i want to try something small first just to see how it goes... u kno... eh but THANKS ALOT :gc_rocks:

CrypticNM

CrypticNM

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,214 posts
Yes, rabbit manure is good fertilizer.

The compost from the local gardening store could be good or it could be very bad. I would probably advise to look for it from another source, like an organic farmer or something.

No on any Miracle Grow products. Some go this route anyway but most organic people will advise against it because of how evil Monsanto is. Seriously, bad, bad, bad company.

You don't really want to compact the soil down so a 'soft' watering is better than a 'hard' one but cannabis will grow through pretty much anything so I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

FawkingRight

FawkingRight

Yumz

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Yes, rabbit manure is good fertilizer.

The compost from the local gardening store could be good or it could be very bad. I would probably advise to look for it from another source, like an organic farmer or something.

No on any Miracle Grow products. Some go this route anyway but most organic people will advise against it because of how evil Monsanto is. Seriously, bad, bad, bad company.

You don't really want to compact the soil down so a 'soft' watering is better than a 'hard' one but cannabis will grow through pretty much anything so I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

Organic farmer... Hmm I suppose I could take time and find that somewhere...ok no miracle grow!!! And mist the soil thorough should be best:) thanks for the pointers btw

Tree dogg

Tree dogg

Barking up the ganja tree

• Registered Upgraded
  • 3,473 posts
Check Craigslist for local compost

jerry111165

jerry111165

Organic Maine Dirt Farmer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 11,470 posts
And then read here - http://forum.grassci...-beginners.html - read this and then read it again. It is well worth doing some light homework before jumping in too quickly - this is something that can be ridiculously simple, but you want to get it right the first time.

By not mixing a soil right the first time you stand the chance of wasting 3-4 months worth of valuable time. 1-2 (or more!!) days of homework is certainly worth months of wasted time.

Do your homework.

J

mindismoving

mindismoving

Bronze member

• Bronze Member
  • 615 posts

noob_wannaB

noob_wannaB

just another noob...

• Gold Member
  • 4,926 posts

jerry111165

jerry111165

Organic Maine Dirt Farmer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 11,470 posts
I wouldn't dream of adding anything but herbivore manure to a worm bin.

J

mindismoving

mindismoving

Bronze member

• Bronze Member
  • 615 posts

tripleduece249

tripleduece249

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

i'm gonna call the cat turds a non starter lol

Lol cat shit. I swear i thought you were trolling.
Why not kill two birds and train the cat to snap em off directly in the worm bin? ROTFL!
  • noob_wannaB likes this

mindismoving

mindismoving

Bronze member

• Bronze Member
  • 615 posts

CrypticNM

CrypticNM

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,214 posts
Yeah, it's different. You get a better end result with manure from herbivores than you do with manure from carnivores.

mindismoving

mindismoving

Bronze member

• Bronze Member
  • 615 posts

fif3l

fif3l

Chef Fifes

• Registered Upgraded
  • 9,022 posts

i know it's different, and i know why. but i want to hear it from the smart guy. thanks tho

Then why ask....? And yeah it is different. You typically feed horses alfalfa.
What do you feed cats? Processed bullshit mainly compsed of animal proteins and corn. Once you introducee animal proteins you start to attract the wrong kind of bacteria. You can potentially create a breeding ground for anaerobic bacteria.
Theres plenty of smart people around who have ALREADY READ THE FORUMS and giving you good info.
Dont put cat shit In your worm bins home slice.

mindismoving

mindismoving

Bronze member

• Bronze Member
  • 615 posts

fif3l

fif3l

Chef Fifes

• Registered Upgraded
  • 9,022 posts

*sigh* oh jesus. thanks for the only slightly condescending explanation, but i want to hear what deuce's opinion is, since my question was so laughably absurd that he or she thought i was trolling. also, don't presume you know what i feed my cat. home slice.

So you ARE just trolling. :/

mindismoving

mindismoving

Bronze member

• Bronze Member
  • 615 posts

Shark bait

Shark bait

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,668 posts
Not all shit is created equal. Animal waste typically will attract unwelcome guests. If I was going to use cat or dog waste I would do outdoors, not worth chancing with my indoor world.

The recommended composts all come from animals that eat Vegetative foods, it is my understanding that some folks like to know what the animal has eaten. As with every thing else it's only as good as what it's made of.

I also think that the meat eating animal waste will take longer to break down, and I doubt there is much nutritional value.

As I typed this I was thinking I have no desire to smoke cat shit. I know what my cat eats, and it ain't a salad.

Peace

Edit

Also might I suggest, if you really want to do this, start a journal and keep us up to date. There is nothing wrong with experimenting that's how we learn

Edited by Shark bait, 23 December 2012 - 10:59 AM.

tripleduece249

tripleduece249

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
I didn't mean to offend you, mind. And i wasn't trying to insinuate the question was absurd but i nearly shit myself laughing at the mental image of my cat knockin out home runs into my worm bin.

I suppose if you were putting together a big one square meter pile of compost, that a little cat dookie wouldn't hurt anything but im no expert. In a permaculture scenario they use any and all farm animal feces to get a pile cooking but in small amounts in comparison to plant materials.

Home scale, like in a tumbler, i don't think it would work out so well.

I've seen the question asked if you could use human waste if the person was vegan. They got a bunch of mixed answers from a group of gurus of course but the overall consensus was that it doesn't really have the consistency or composition that you're looking for in animal end product for composting.

I guess you got to ask yourself. Is your goal in composting your cat shit so you don't have to dispose of it and add to landfills or because you want to make compost for growing food or other consumables?

Edited by tripleduece249, 23 December 2012 - 03:19 PM.

tripleduece249

tripleduece249

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
According to The Rodale Book of Composting. Cat and dog feces are under the list of materials to avoid. It is rich in nutrients but harder to handle and can contain parasites and pathogens. It also noted there are special composters available for dog droppings that are safe but i assume this is just as a green alternative to throwing them away...it doesn't specify.

It says human feces shouldn't be used unless properly treated and permitted to age sufficiently. Even then disease is still a concern. "Urine alone can be used quite safely, however."

Edited by tripleduece249, 23 December 2012 - 04:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users