Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Fish hydrolysate expands in the bottle you're using and gets pretty messy so be sure to put in a tote. You can get fish free or cheap by asking a butcher for scraps and heads. $1 per lb salmon. Air locks on lids can be made using a water bottle and 1/4" tubing. Burping fish leads to explosive results. Worst mess ever.

2. I debated thinking it was an issue with the difference between salt water fish and fresh water fish - not because of location or availability.

J

3. #3263 PineWeasle, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
    As a home brewer I must point out that airlocks are dirt cheap online less than 5 bucks for 3 if I remember correctly

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IGY9H4M

4. I have a few of them with growlers. I made them first because I was unwilling to invest money in something I hadn't tried. It worked great so I bought several.

5. #3265 stoned-trout, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I grew without bottles for a while way back...its rather easy.....yeehaw.. weed was just as good or better..airlocks are cheap and also easy to make ...

6. @jerry111165, I'm a long time lurker and newer member...I plan to get all the ingredients in the next few days, perhaps even tomorrow (I'm in Michigan btw)...Anyways my question is are you still using the same items that you originally posted? Also are you aware of anything I might not find on that list in the mitten?

7. #3267 jerry111165, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
    Hi Mega. Sorry - just saw your post.

That mix in the early part of the thread will work and work well. The best advice I can give you is to source the very best quality compost and vermicompost you can find and by which I mean rich, viable (living) broken down organic matter - this is what will make or break an organic garden - not this or that amendment.

These days I personally go about things much simpler - old soil, homemade compost, leaf mold and lots of comfrey. I'm finding that this works very nicely for me.

Just starting out, if I were you, I'd grab a bale of Pro Mix and mix 1/3 Pro Mix, 1/3 compost/worm castings and (around) a third aeration - lava rock, perlite, buckwheat or rice hulls etc etc.

Then mix in a couple cups (per cubic foot/7.5 gallons) of rock dust and the amendments you plan on using - crab/lobster/crustacean meal, kelp, neem etc etc. a little more or less either way doesn't seem to matter much - it ain't rocket science and again, it all comes down to the quality of your compost and vermicompost.

That's it. Wet it and set it aside for a few weeks for best results to allow the mix to Nutrient Cycle. Make sure your mix drains well.

Let me know if you want to go into this further and I'd be more than happy to help.
    J

Edit - I put together this thread some time ago to help people find what they need - you may find that it helps you.

Sourcing Organic Soil Mix Components - http://forum.grasscity.com/unknown/1277064-sourcin...

GL

J

8. alright that thread will help, must have missed it. I'll probably get everything soonishly!

9. why don't you put together a list of what you plan on doing before you actually purchase it and we can discuss real quick before you actually shell out the money.

Peace

J

10. Shoot me a message when ever you have some time!

11. Jerry is the man definitely listen to what he had to say learned plenty from him myself over the years here.

12. thx for sharing

14. #3274 CheebaFaceChase, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
    I personally like hydroponics method since I started with not that much money and resources. The growing part is fun if your a true smoker. I don't know anybody who isn't interested in the growing process.

15. Plus this year was my first time growing white widow and completing the process. I didn't any soil and shit. Last time I had a 40 watt bulb and a white widows in a cups with soil naturally getting sun. Unfortunately I fucked up and sad to say they died on me and I was upset but it was due to the lack of nutrients plus drowning the roots. Well fuck it I did better. So i highly recommend indoor growing, but don't make the mistake I did by not being prepared.

16. yes but horse poo is real hot got to mix in browns and worm soil theres youtube vids on using it for gardening hope it helps you out

17. in my opinion i feel alot better about smoking organic great stuff much of the same thing im doing i use alot of seaweed extract best stuff on the planet

18. Why use extracts when you can have the real item, just the way they harvested and dried it? Why use a processed version when you can get the natural one for pennies?

19. Correction sorry i worded that wrong. I dont use extracts, i use ground up raw materials.

20. I keep seeing people talking about seed sprout teas on here but am I the only one doing a popcorn tea? Popcorn is full of sugars amino acids and growth hormones. I use 1cup organic popcorn and 2cups water in a jar for 2-3 days until corn sprouts then I the blender it goes. Strain out solids and add to 4 gallons of water and let bubble for 24 hrs. Use use within 48hrs or it will turn to alcohol. I use this tea at transplanting and one more time right before flower. Just thought id add this since I haven't seen anyone else talking about it here. For more information on this look up a guy on YouTube called MinnesotaNice. He was my introduction to no-till container gardening. Well time for bed. Keep it organic guys !!!!!! Night.