Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

1. You will want to post this in the Lighting forum, dedicated to questions like yours. Sorry I can't help more with this but if you post in the right forum you'll get the answer you're looking for.

Good luck -

J

2. too long . but i will finished it .jaja

3. What is the smallest size cup or bucket that I can keep a mother plant in, organic soil? Trying to figure out how many moms I can keep so that whichever I want to grow, I will just cut a clone, get the roots going and plant it in a bigger bucket under the bigger lights.

4. #3204 jerry111165, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
    You can keep a mom in a 3 gallon, heck, a single gallon but you just might need to replace the moms every six months or so, but that's not an issue either.

I'd suggest low lighting to keep growth slow.

J

5. Thanks J

6. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but its my first organic grow and third grow total and I mixed my soil and I've been feeding them ssts and acts and an occasional foliar spray with aloe water juice in veg. SSTs are made with corn sprouts acts are made with earthworm castings kelp alfalfa molasses and elemite sometimes I add crabshell meal my plants are in 5 gal buckets, my question is when I harvest my plants, should I dump the dirt back into the baby pool I mixed it in add amendments stir and put back into buckets or is it better to pull out the stem and rootball and plant another seedling in its place? What makes a no till a no till?

7. No-till means you leave the soil in the pot and plant into it. Dumping it back in your baby pool and amending it again is called recycling. No-till pots should be at least 7 gallons but bigger like 20 gallons is better. The reason is that 5 gallon pots don't leave much room to add the next plant. It can work if you're transplanting from a 4" pot or a cup. Then you don't have to remove much soil.

I grow in 5 gallon pots and I recycle my soil. For each 5 gallon pot I dump I add 1/4 cup each of: neem cake, crab meal and kelp meal. If the soil is a little dry I may brew an ACT and moisten the soil with it. Otherwise I don't use anything but water for my plants with one exception. Once every 2 weeks I grind up some malted barley and bubble it for 4 hours. I water the girls with it. It seems to reduce the flowering time.

8. Wow so malted barley teas all through veg and flower? That's it? And thank you for your reply, that really cleared things up for me! I also needed an idea of what to amend my soil with so I think I will order some malted barley !!
    Wow so malted barley teas all through veg and flower? That's it? And thank you for your reply, that really cleared things up for me! I also needed an idea of what to amend my soil with so I think I will order some malted barley !!

9. I've noticed shortened flower times too Pak.

Good advice. Hope your summer is going well.

J

10. That brings the question, how much malt to water? I brew beer as well, have plenty of malt to feed :)

11. Summer is going great. I got laid off on May 21 and finished many major projects in the cellar and yard. I'm going to start looking seriously for another contract soon. Really don't want to go back to the grind until summer is over.

I use 1 tablespoon of malted barley per gallon of water.

12. Lucky! :) I've been working too too much Pak but am finally today taking a day off, and think I might stay home on Monday as well.
    Bggrass, grind the barley before you soak. I don't soak longer than 4-5 hours before use on advice from the pros lol

J

13. Hey hey green thumbs! I'm a long time veggie grower, first time cannabis grower. I've been imploring Fukuoka/permaculture style methods in my veggie gardens for years, but it never occurred to me to cross over these techniques into my indoor cannabis grow smh so when planning my first grow I decided on a subcoolesque style supersoil in 5 gal smarties. I plan on switching over to the no till methods in 20-25gal geopots after this run. As for now, here is my setup:

-4x8 gorilla tent
    -11,000btu dual hose portable a/c
    -2 Spectrum King 400+ series full spectrum LED's with dimmers
    -20gal co2 tank on an atlas controller

I only know one other grower and he is the one who hooked me up with some clones for my first run. They were looking pretty ragged when I received them and 3 of the 6 were monster cropped. Out of the 3 non monsters there are 2 OG kush and one Grape God. When I first received them I fed them plain unchlorinated water. After about 5 days I switched them from 4" pots to 1 gal smarties and 2 or so weeks after that(once I saw roots on the bottom) into the 5 gal smarties. I've been giving them a weekly alternating 6row MB tea and coconut watering(200x aloe powder is coming this week from BAS). Since this is my first grow and I only know one other grower I just want to get some experienced opinions on how they look.
    This is the same plant(OG) over the course of the last 4 1/2 weeks with some bending and LST. They are on gas lamp lighting schedule.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440524963.229047.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440525012.070315.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440525068.869535.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440525126.819914.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440525240.317560.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440525279.283719.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440525312.067580.jpg

I feel that the growth is really slow or maybe I am just impatient? Thank you all in advance. This forum is amazing and the wealth of knowledge here is truly astounding and inspiring. So much in fact that my wife is beginning to get jealous of this site haha.

14. hi Native. I think your plants look pretty good but I'm not famiar with LED lighting.

You say "sub cool" type soil. Can I ask what you added to this mix, or an approximate recipe?

You can absolutely implement your veggie style gardening into your cannabis garden. With an organic soil your compost and worm castings components are pretty important but after you post what's in your soil we can discuss more. Welcome to cannabis gardening!

J

15. Thanks for the reply jerry! This is the recipe I used spot on: ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440895893.508944.jpg

16. I've heard of folks using this but have zero experience with it myself. Only way to tell is to try it on a single plant I guess. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

In my own opinion, though, you'd be better off with Ahimsa cold-pressed organic neem oil from India. It can be bought directly from the neemresource.com website; from Fedco Organic Growers Supply or from builds soil.com.

J

17. it's not a recipe is personally use but then again there are many out there. One note I will make is that any soil mix relies on the quality of the compost (which I do not see) and vermicompost/worm castings in the mix.
    Does the mix drain well? I didn't see any kind of aeration added either.

J

18. Yeah, the compost I have going isn't quite ready yet. It was improperly mixed and I had to add comfrey leaf to kick start it again. I figured that the Alaskan humus would have some beneficial microbes. I got swayed by the article I read this recipe in. The drainage is definite sub par. I normally prefer not to use things like blood meal and guano, but oh well what's done is done! I've read this thread and taken notes so my next run will be based on your soil formulas from scratch!