Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

1. #3001 WorkingMan, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014

Yesterday I mixed a 1-1-1 ratio of Promix, Perlite, and Bumper Crop and transplanted into it. It felt great to have my hands in it! Everyone seems to be loving it....

2. Ok ok I'll say it.. The problem with not using bottled nutrients is that plants have no idea how to conserve their food.. They eat full time and when it's gone, drop leaves, get sick and die.. Potted plants only hold so much nutrients in the pot right...That has to last months .Their life cycles are constantly changing ( every 10 days ish) needing more of one thing then more of something else... The problem is they are eating ALL of it ALL the time. So when more specific nutrients are needed say for bloom.. They have already eaten the reserves...
    How do we combat that?
    Bigger pots perhaps?
    Maybe add a handful of new mix every 10 days?
    Repotting shocks them quite a bit so right before bloom is kinda out...
    Disclaimer: I have never tried this style.. I always use nutrients:) but love the idea if it could work effeciantly..

I am so open minded you should only think like me..

No offense but you have the wrong mind set about growing organically. You don't feed the plants if you have the right soil mix. You're feeding the micro-herd and they feed the plant. I've grew a plant once in a gallon pot to maturity without having to feed it anything but water. You should check into the soil food web and how the living organisms in the soil provide the nutrients that a plant needs. This is something that has evolved over 100s of millions of years.

I transplant my rooted clones into 4" pots -> gallon pots -> 2 gallon pots -> 5 gallon pots without and problems. I've even lost half a root ball transplanting from the 2 gallon to 5 gallon and the plant didn't miss a beat.

If you can find excellent quality EWC and/or compost and get some good sphagnum peat moss you can create a soil that only needs water to get your plants to maturity.

I was a bottled nutrient grower for over 30 years but I switched to mixing up my own soil based on information I found here in this journal. I'll never go back because this is what I'm getting with my soil mix.

[​IMG]

Anyway it works for me.

5. So I'm in the 3rd week of the flowering phase. The plants are doing very well I'd say, despite it getting kind of crowded in the tent. They were veggin for almost 2 months so I hope the yield will be large.

Is there anything specific one should have in mind during this phase?
    Any general tips?

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    etz

6. Crowded = higher chance of powdery mildew, bud rot and hidden bugs..

7. You can guard against all that by having lots of air flow, high and through the base of the plants.
    Watering with a drip or a medium that doesn't hold water over the top soil helps keep moisture in check.
    And trimming the leaves or training branches away that press against the walls helps air flow and keeps moisture build up in check too.
    Sticky traps just laid on the soil will let you know what kind and how many bugs are really around even if you can't see through the forest👓.

8. Hey how many harvest do you guys go thru before changing your hps bulb?? Just curious

9. Hiya Bro, I like to change out my bulbs yearly so about 4 cycles of 12/12 for 90 days each. they still appear bright but with the price of weed I don't scrimp on lights. Hows it been goin?

10. Back in the day I would go 3 cycles, and always have a couple pair on hand for emergency.. These days I'm pretty much all LED and love it.

11. my brother Marv how's everything man I'm doing good getting better each grow. This cycle is my 3rd so after this harvest I'll go one more then buy a better buld. I have lohan..blued dream..and agent orange going at the moment 23 days until choppy chop time how you been Marv and what you got growing on?lol

Attached Files:

12. I have a Indiana bubble gum in a scrog net its about 88% full its growing ng crazy so this 23 days needs to hurry up lol

Attached Files:

13. #3014 Dat_dere_prime, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    Hello, this is my first time growing. As such, I am pretty much trying to learn everything as much as I can before I go all in with my organic grow adventure. Here is what I have so far for my soil mix. Money is an factor, I am trying to have the best bang for the buck organic soil mix. Here is what I have thus far, is this good to go?

So as of right now I am deciding whether I should buy the pro-mix as base or get some organic soil from Home Depot. Promix is $30 for 4cf. I can get organic soil for much cheaper. 

I can get Gardner & Bloom organic blue ribbon blend soil for $6.50/1.5cf 
    http://www.hearnestore.com/gardner-bloome-blue-ribbon-blend-potting-soil-1-5-cu-ft-in-store-only/

Or I can get Greenmix organic Blend5 soil for $3.25/1cf
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Greensmix-1-Cu-Ft-Organic-Blend-5/16782601

I plan to grow 45 plants under my basement. I have (3) 1000w light kit with switchable MH and HPS bulbs.

14. Is it possible to reuse organic soil? I'm thinking that after harvest the soil will still be filled of roots from the plant. 

15. That's one of the big advantages of organic soil. It can be reused just about forever. The roots that are left behind after harvest quickly decompose in the soil after the plant has been harvested. No need to re work or till the soil, either. Simply make a hole to set the new plant in. :)

16. Sounds sketchy to me.

17. What does?

18. I recycle my soil after ever harvest. I was going to go with no-till but I'm only using 5 gallon pots and I like to transplant from 2 gallon pots so I was digging out a lot of the soil away.

After a year of use I took and added about 1/4 cup per cubic foot of each of these as re-amendments: neem cake, kelp meal and crab meal. I sometimes with moisten the soil up with an ACT but that isn't needed. I could use plain water to moisten.

It's working well for me.

19. Pulling a plant out and directly putting a new one in.
    I'm not trying to offend, it just sounds sketchy. 🐛If you have a hint of bugs from the last plant your doomed.
    Of course I'm thinking indoors but even outdoors it seems rotating plots would be better...
    Keep in mind I'm not organic except in ways that can be mixed with other styles.. 🐸