Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

1. etz - That will work for mulch. After a few days is dries out and looks like what it is, dead grass.

2. Thanks man. Appreciate it!

3. #2903 HipHopaddix, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
    Heyoo, whats up GC so I'm trying to figure out what's up with my youngings. I have been doin lots of thread searching and looking at different micro grows and what not and have come to to the conclusion that my babies are really small for almost 5 weeks veg! Now my setup is a closet with two 4' sylvania gro-lux on each side hanging vertically and a 2' t5 HOFl hanging horizontally about five or six inches above my tallest plant. So the attached pictures are my plants that are almost 5 weeks sprouted from seed in root riot cubes soaked in rapid rooter and domed for a few days. I used straight Earth Grow potting soil I bought from the gardening section at lowes for super cheap. I didn't want to use bottled nutes AND a self feeding soil like Fox Farm because I feel like that would have been too much food for the small seedlings. Plus it was 2$ for a 20lbs bag. I've been using Dutch Master Gold Grow A&B once a week at 200 ppm. Now I'm up to 275ppm and watering with distilled water at ~5.8pH everyother day, or when I notice it dry. I'm pretty sure there in 3 gallon pots with drainage. It gets pretty warm in the closet but I have two small desktop fans and a big window fan making sure there's good circulation. Basically just wondering what I may of done wrong or why my babies are still so small. Idk maybe I'm jusy a worrysum father hahaha. Anyways any pointers or tips are much appreciated. Also check out the last two pics. I'm thinking its male pre flowers but not sure. There the two tallest plants I have so I'd lioe to figure that out as soon as possible ya digg? Thanks guys
    "lets grow this muthafucka down."

Attached Files:

4. Try reading in here and follow those methods for much better results - http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

Trust me, that soil you're using, especially coupled with bottled nutrients is the culprit. I'll guarantee there's not enough drainage/aeration to begin with, and then paired with a lack of humus is a recipe for disaster.

J

• Like Like x 2
  5. #2905 beerbrewer, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    You're on the wrong thread bro. And that soil looks like crap. BTW this is a thread titled INDOOR GARDENING WITH OUT BOTTLED NUTES.

And one last thing. That soil looks like crap.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II. I know you bitchez be jealous.

6. Wait, what? That's unmilled grain. What use does that have in soil? I have about 12# of Maris otter 2 row sitting in my garage waiting to be turned into beer. You're telling me I can use this in my soil?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II. I know you bitchez be jealous.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oh shit haha no wonder I didn't get a response till now. I didn't see the word without. I saw with. Hahaha my bad. Well while I'm here what's a good brand soil that's not too hot with nutes. I Used fox farm happy frog but ended up burning my youngings. Any advice or tips are appreciated, Thanks anyways man.

• Like Like x 1
    Use just plain old ProMix for seedlings. You don't need any nutrients for the first couple of weeks of growth. Just water them, the seeds have all they need to get to the first true leaves.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hello there I'm am fairly new to organic growing. Wanted some info on a super soil recipe that I've been waiting to try out. I'm using 8 bags of fox farms ocean Forrest, now for every two bags of fox farm (Hurd it burns small plants) I cut it with one bag of light warrior. I'm adding 30 pounds of warm casting plus my blood and bone meal, Epsom salt and rock phosphate, sweet lime azomite and powdered humic acid along with my bat guano.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Start reading here: http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

That will answer your questions. Normally we're not using blood and bone meal, epsom salt or azomite. They aren't bad but there are better alternatives.

• Like Like x 3
  11. So how would one go about transferring them to better soil? Drop the bucket and plant in a bigger one with better soil or do I have to get the old soil off the roots somehow?

Finish up what you have going and plan on improving with your next run. You're on a start of a journey that will take a few runs to get everything working. Keep reading and asking questions. There is a lot to learn to understand how the living organic soil with the soil food web works. You need to think about feeding the micro-herd and forget about feeding your plants. If you have your soil dialed in you let the micro-herd feed your plant.

• Like Like x 3
    Should I water them? If yes, then I made a mistake not creating holes in the bottom of each cup.

I've placed the plastic cups in the growing tent with the bigger pots containing cooking soil. Should I turn the lamp on?

No holes in the bottom of the cup will put your seedlings in dangerous waters. If they've already sprouted then you will have to not over water them. It's easy to kill new sprouts with too much water. If they are sprouted then water with a spray bottle and try not to over water or let them dry out.

If they haven't sprouted then carefully remove them from the cup and put them into cups with holes in the bottom. I use a nail to poke holes in them.

You should turn on the lights but make sure the lights aren't too close to the cups. I like to feel how much heat is reaching the plants. Too much heat then raise the lights or lower the cups.

Lots to learn and managing seedlings/clones is one of the times that you have to be careful not to over do anything. Remember, over watering is one of the main mistakes and not LITFA is the other.

Don't worry if you have problems. That's how you learn. Good luck and ask more questions.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Great responses/info Pakalolo. Sorry folks I've been super busy (yeah, yeah, crappy excuses right lol) but I do check the thread as often as I can so please keep the questions coming.

So glad it's the weekend! :)

J

• Like Like x 2
  16. @[member="Pakalolo"] @[member="jerry111165"]

Thanks for the help Pakalolo! Such good explanations and easy to understand as a foreigner (had to google LIFTA tho). I managed to solve the situation and two out of eight seeds have now sprouted after approximately five days. How do I know when it's time to move the plants from the plastic cups to the bigger pots?

--

And now to the next problem, since I always seem to mess things up, I planted seeds of two different strains; Sensi star (indica) and Jack Diesel (sativa), Unfortunately I did not take any note of which cup that contains what specific seed. So stupid, so soon enough I will probably have eight small plants, and I won't know which one is what strain.

What I do know is that I planted three seeds of SS and five of JD. Do you guys think there will be any characteristic tells during their vegitative phase that will allow me to distinguish the two strains?

If pictures will help, let me know!

Sativa dominant strains will have narrow leaves and the indica dominant with have broader leaves. This is a general characteristic of the 2 types. You could also Google for those 2 specific strains and see if you can find some pictures of them.

Why are you concerned about the identity?

• Like Like x 2
    I fear that I, upon harvesting day, still would be in the unknowing of their identities, That would be sad!

I'll keep an eye out for differences when it comes to narrow/broad leaves. Hopefully it won't be to difficult!

• Like Like x 2
  19. you will know before harvest, sativa dominant plants tend to be much taller than indica dominant plants

Sent from my XT1031 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    You can take some pictures too and post them.

• Like Like x 3