Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

No prob'.

Are you applying Neem Oil to your soil?  If so, stop.

Don't worry about things "coming in with the soil".  They're supposed to be there...

2. #2882 etz, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
    My soil has "cooked" for almost two weeks now. Smells kind of nasty in the tent but it's alright, I have taken @[member="Pakalolo"] 's advice and add oxygen to the soil once a week by basically turning it all upside down and back in the pot again.

The soil consists of: organic compost starter, earthworm castings, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, perlite and some allround fertilizer.

I water like every two days, the soil becomes dryer at the top quicker than in the middle (of course). But I keep a close watch to keep a good cycle.

I will order some neem powder and/or crab meal tomorrow. Are there any other ingredients I could add to the soil now that it's two weeks in?

3. Did you add Sphagnum Peat? I'm just wondering because I didn't see it listed. Rock dust is a must-have in my garden.

Read here if you get a little time. It's a good starting point. http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1111289-rock-dust.html

Good luck with your garden.

J

A big mistake a lot of growers make is to over water. If the top layer is drying out too quick you might think about using a mulch. I go to the feed store and buy timothy hay that is food for rabbits and put an inch or so on top off my soil. I use the back of my fingers to feel how much moisture is there just underneath the mulch. When it starts to feel damp and not moist it is time to water. If you don't have any plants in the soil then it shouldn't need too much water.

I make 30 gallons of soil at a time and keep it in those cheap 32 gallon garbage cans. I also have some 10 gallon plastic storage bins I use for soil too. When I do it that way I only water it when I mix the soil and don't have to water at all until I use it in my pots. I mix it up in a wheel barrel and transfer it to my garbage can.

[​IMG]

I'm using the storage bin to harvest EWC and this is the size I use but I do have a couple about twice the size too.

[​IMG]

5. Whats a good flowering mixture to top dress your soil during flowerin and fruiting

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. 45 days
    Correction 36 days at picture

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

Pea gravel may work as aeration but I prefer pumice. Pumice has lots of nooks and cranny's for the bacteria to set up in but I don't see pea gravel providing that sort of an environment. I haven't use pea gravel so this is based on just my thinking about it and not based on experience.

I top dress with EWC. Some of the growers here that have access to comfrey also chop up dried comfrey and mix it with EWC.

8. thanks Pakalolo  :)

im also adding the rock dust so i hope thats got them covered for housing  :D  

I'm thinking using bio-char would be a good way to balance that, as well.....  it goes in as up to 10% of your mix, and it is considered part of the "aeration" component.  So instead of 30% pea gravel, it'd be 20% pea gravel, and 10% bio-char.

@[member="RichardDean"]  Thoughts?  I know you use pea gravel as part of your aeration.....

The rock dust is great for the micro-herd but I like the idea of multi-purpose usage. Can't you source pumice where you're at? It's very inexpensive if you got it available. I pay $9-11 per cubic foot for it where I live.

11. I struggled to find it and the buckwheat was costly so when i was offered the "pea"  free of charge i grabbed it.

He's in UK.... not much volcano flow there lol..... he said perlite and rice hulls were expensive too.... any other ideas?

13. I think youz thinkin of @[member="RanchoDeluxe"] the other RD

TJ

Fuckshit.... you're right lol  Sorry for summoning you Richard!

Rancho uses pea gravel and lava rock..... do you have access to "lava rock" Mr Bubbles?  Often used in landscaping, so try landscaping places.   And did you check with home-brew beer supply stores for the rice hulls?  Would think in England, there'd be plenty of home brewing....

15. There is a micro brewery near me but they wont part with it and the big brewerys are a no cant even get to ask.
    security just chased me lol  probs knew i would have ditched the buckwheat for beer if given a half chance  :ey:  :ey:

the only lava rock i could find was for bbq.s and it would cost a lot for a little.  i probs just going to stick with the "pea"  i could throw a bag or 2 of perlite in there ..

16. Not micro-breweries..... Home brew stores.... they sell supplies so you can brew beer at home yourself.... give it a google.  I'll guarantee there are places near you.

17. Just picked up a pound of 6 row malted barley grain at a local home brew store for $1.95

Sent from my XT1031 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

18. @[member="dczaster"] you'll like the results from the malted barley.  Have you used it yet?  I use it a lot.  If you're interested in what I do pm me and I'll tell you how much I use, what I use with it, and the results I'm seeing.

No I have neither of the two ingredients you mention. Is it OK to add even though the mix has been cooking for 2-3 weeks?

Yeah I think I overwatered the whole thing. When I flipped the pots over (for adding oxygen) it was clumps in the bottom because of all the water. I'm gonna lay low with the water for a while.

Nice pictures! Looks like you have a good thing going on!

My growing tent: http://anony.ws/i/2014/09/07/20140826_223900.jpg

--

As for the mulch; I was able to find food for rabbits and the product consist of the ingredients timothy and two different grass types (one typically growing in fields & the other for lawns och to feed cattles eng. name: Bluegrass). Do you think it would be OK to use in the same way you are using your timothy hay?

Picture of the product: http://anony.ws/i/2014/09/07/20140907_184512.jpg

Thanks in advance =)