How much are 400w hps lights and how good are they

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JDi, Apr 13, 2012.

1. well if I grow 8 plants under 2 400w hps, can I get 3-4 oz a plant? and how cheap can you get 400w lights..

2. 600 is better if heat issues are not a problem but, the 400 works well...
    Search ebay for hid grow lights.....

3. Yes they are relatively cheap.

Weight will depend on growing style, and skill. No way to answer

4. Also, 4oz per plant @ 8 plants = 32 oz @ 28.3 grams per oz = 905 grams.....doubt you would get that from 800w of lights.

5. Yes it's very possible, I've been doing 4 plants under a single 400w and yielding that or better per plant. But...to do that you have to have your grow op totally dialed in, you have to provide lots of root volume, use only top-quality organics, use training like LST and topping, and veg for several weeks before flowering.

You can get a 400w HPS for about $120, but that would be a magnetic ballast and open hood, you would be better off investing in an air-cooled hood/cool tube and a digital ballast.

6. where?!

Also, ill ask this here I guess..Can you grow an auto with only HPS? Or does it need MH at first?

7. [quote name='"Carl Poot"']
    where?!

Also, ill ask this here I guess..Can you grow an auto with only HPS? Or does it need MH at first?[/quote]

It isn't optimum but you can grow them with just an hps.

8. HTG has some pretty cheap, or ebay. And yeah, you can use HPS for the whole cycle, they will just stretch a little more than with a MH.

9. You can pick up old magnetic ballast HPS lights for under 50 bucks with a bulb if you do your searching.

Magnetic ballasts have nothing wrong with them, and digital ballasts really don't have a whole lot of benefits over magnetic. Magnetic will outlast a digital, they've proven that in time. Magnetic ballasts last forever, and rebuild parts are dime a dozen. If a 25 dollar ballast/bulb combo lasts the same life as a digital, the money savings is obvious.

I use magnetics without any issues, and shops have been using them for high bay lighting longer than that. They are super reliable ballasts, and I honestly can't justify spending my money on digitals anymore when they are so expensive.

As for how it works. It works excellent.

10. Depends on how you use your digital ballast. If I was only going to buy one ballast, it would be a digital, due to the convenience. Being able to switch between HPS and MH, plus being able to down/up the output comes in handy. It's really situation dependent though.

11. to prevent stretching can one just add a few blue cfls during veg? Then when they flower just take away the cfls and leave the hps?

12. Did I see that correctly? There is a vegging and flowering bulb included and the transformer unit is already wired to it? Or is it a building case? Sorry I'm in a hurry, hope I didn't fuck up my English.

13. Where could I find this???

14. I'm confused.  I have read extensively on this and am starting out.  I hear the HPS lights are the best but they are hundreds of dollars.  But I see where you can get them for about $10 for a 400W bulb....when put out 2000 lumens I think it said....so wouldn't I need like three of these per square foot?  They do screw into a regular fixture, right?  Maybe people are referring to buying a HPS 'setup' when they are saying it is hundreds of dollars.  I'm using CFL's and was thinking should use HPS for flowering for best results (I know I can use CFL....but faster with HPS?)  Thank you in advance for your inputs!!

15. One other light question please.  I know some growers leave lights on in veg stage for 24 hours but most say do for 18 hours light and 6 hours dark.  I understand about not interupting the light stage when it is in flowering stage, but even a small amount of light can stress plants in veg stage with 18/6?  Since some don't even use dark at this stage....

I'm trying to find the best way to make a room this 'light' proof.  There is some kind of 'film' you can put over windows....do you get it in a photography store?

16. HPS bulbs do not screw into a regular socket, they need a ballast. The ballast/bulb combo start at around $100+ depending on the wattage.

The only time you can't interrupt the dark period is for photoperiod plants that are in 12/12. Vegging and autoflowers can be grown anywhere, light leaks are irrelevant.