The Continuing Education of a Noob Wanna B

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by noob_wannaB, Apr 12, 2012.

1. It was scary to me as well, and I wouldn't suggest it to you at the moment. It's actually less complicated - BY FAR, IMO - but that simplicity is based on you having the other basics dialed in already. I always see it recommended to grow in soil first - and I think I agree. Soil protects first time growers from a bunch of potential mistakes.

2. #42 noob_wannaB, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
    Welcome 365 and Devils...glad to have you along for the ride.
    Thanks for the condolences as well. My dogs are my family and it was and is a hard thing. He definitely left a big hole here.

Dr, I've read a bit of your oil thread here and there. Some day I'll have time to read it in it's entirety, but wanted to add my appreciation for your effort. You're a gem, and I'm happy to have shared a bit of cyberspace with ya.

Did some feeding on the girls today....I swear there's a visible difference in them every day now. When I feed and water I take them all in to the tub and do a good soaking. When they've drained enough I take them out one by one and remove all strings, look them over real good and start all over. I'm sure what I'm doing is LST because well, it's lo stress training, but unless I've misunderstood what I've read I guess that's a variation. I think if I ever went to another type system (scrog esp.) I'd miss that individual time I spend w/them. I really enjoy doing it, and they seem to respond well to it. I took some before and after pics earlier and I'll try to get them posted later. I'm running a bit late in feeding critters, and they're letting me know that they know ;)

Later :)

3. #43 noob_wannaB, May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
    Ok, just a few pics. Got a pic of the 3 Wonder Woman girls in the tub today (just watered).
    image-2158716004.jpg

Some better pics of the Jock Horror. Again, this plant is only 5 weeks from germination, and is in flower for a week or so. I am just so impressed with this plant.
    image-2121882326.jpg
    image-981697902.jpg
    image-2698082203.jpg
    image-799963810.jpg
    image-1939727178.jpg

And here's a couple of before photos of my LST method
    This Wonder Woman girl got topped later than the other, and has always been 'leggy'. I was so sure it was going to be a boy...
    image-1267133491.jpg
    image-3429665973.jpg
    (sorry, this one's sideways) :(

and here's after I finished bending her to my will ;) Again, I use cotton string and clothespins for the most part, and remove ALL string and pins periodically (usually when I feed/water unless I notice a real need) and start over.
    image-853960739.jpg
    image-3701429668.jpg

And here's mini me before and after
    image-780320443.jpg
    image-433577332.jpg

I'm also working on another scrubber variation, and found a real deal on a fan/scrubber kit on EBay that would totally solve all my heat and stink issues IF I win it. I don't expect to though, so for now it's back to the drawing board on the DIY scrubber ;)

Hope everyone's grows are going at least as well as mine is right now. This luck can't last....I just keep waiting for some crisis to rear up :O

4. Bustin out the mad LST! That's my favorite technique by far. Whip those ladies into shape!! Hah. Looking great. The 4 of 12 shot looked good except for where you have your lighter placed, lol. by having the lighter up higher than the bud site it gives the illusion that the site is teeeeny, if you lower the lighter to equal height it'll give the right scale.

Out of curiosity why do you have to water in a tub? No trays?

LOL that you thought the stretchy one was going to be a boy - are you SURE you haven't grown before...are you just that well read?

It's nice that you have LST friendly strains. I've had a few that after releasing the pressure even after weeks, they grow right back up (fighting me). Same with supercropping. Have you ever thought about Supercropping vs LST?

5. [quote name='"drhell2pay"']Bustin out the mad LST! That's my favorite technique by far. Whip those ladies into shape!! Hah. Looking great. The 4 of 12 shot looked good except for where you have your lighter placed, lol. by having the lighter up higher than the bud site it gives the illusion that the site is teeeeny, if you lower the lighter to equal height it'll give the right scale.

Out of curiosity why do you have to water in a tub? No trays?

LOL that you thought the stretchy one was going to be a boy - are you SURE you haven't grown before...are you just that well read?

It's nice that you have LST friendly strains. I've had a few that after releasing the pressure even after weeks, they grow right back up (fighting me). Same with supercropping. Have you ever thought about Supercropping vs LST?[/quote]

Ya, I'm a noob (lighter shot). I almost didn't post that one, and when I did my focus was on my hand, which is really tiny and thinking along the lines of photos adding 10lbs but hands too? lol! Thanks for saying something so I don't KEEP making a total ass of myself. I think I'll leave the lighters be for awhile ;)

I do have trays, but I just find it easier to do the tub thing....no draining trays, I can get lots of runoff and soak them really well, plus like I said I really enjoy the 'one on one' time with them. That could change if they get monstrous, but with CFLs I'm not expecting anything like that.

Nope, this is my first grow. I have read a LOT, but I also just had a 'feeling' about that one. It just felt male to me. I remember telling my husband I had a 'feeling' they were all girls, but if there was a boy, it'd be that one.

So far they all seem to respond well to the LST, but I do have to keep on em. A couple times a week, with turning daily. I had planned to try at least one scrog (this little mini greenhouse I use is just perfect for it), but I hadn't planned on 6 females so I don't have the space. The idea of supercropping is scary yet soooo intriguing! I'm really dying to try it, but it's too late for all but the White Castle because everyone's in flower. And the White Castle is growing all tight like iceberg lettuce with huge, fat indica leaves! Not what I expected with that strain. Can't wait to see what happens as they mature a bit.

Shoot....I just realized. I have been spouting on about having all girls, but the White Castle hasn't shown sex yet! They were fem seeds but that doesn't make it so.

6. I was a little stoned when I read this and your tender loving care and description of taking them to the tub and looking over them everyday seemed so beautiful and romantic.

Time to go cuddle with my plants...

7. I'm usually on the ios app but try to visit via the web daily to give likes, rep, etc. (not sure what rep is exactly, but I get that it's a good thang). I can't give you more rep yet, but I've tried to 'like' your post (I really do!) and GC is fighting me today. Sigh.....mehbe it's gonna be one of those days. :eek:

8. My stink/ventilation problems are about to be a thing of the past! I was looking around on a popular auction site last night and found this
    Active Air 1312 Filter Combo
    image-1764206283.jpg

It's a $249 retail package and it was missing the pre-filter ( which I have since picked up via Amazon for $10...twice the retail price, but I don't know from good hydro shops...suggestions?) so I got it for.....

drumroll please.....

shipping was $25 (41lbs)

$53!!!!!!!

With shipping $78. I'm pretty pleased with the price, and from the reviews I've read it looks to be a quality product. Now I'll at least be able to use the controller I bought. :)

9. That's an awesome deal, I'm super jealous.

10. Nice pick up noob! Speed controller with a cent fan is a nessecity I reckon, especially if you are in a situation like me and have the setup in your bedroom, I can just walk over to the wardrobe before bed and turn the fan down to lower the noise a bit, its not that loud to be honest to begin with, but its good to have.

11. My my my. It looks like you got voted Ms Popularity; sorry it took me so long to wander over from my thread. Your girls are looking nice; I've had a few stumbling blocks with mine and looks like I'm nearing the end. My little girl is still only 3 inches and her sister is only 4; since they and the other runts still have healthy white pistils they will get a few more weeks. I had started a new batch of seedlings but the heat and circulation issues are killing them. Am going to redesign the sprout/veg area to be underneath the flowering; phase two will be bagseed as well, once the kinks get worked out I may spring for some of them store bought ones.

Attached Files:

12. Linky da store pleease! Whats the CFMs on the fan?

13. [quote name='"drhell2pay"']

Linky da store pleease! Whats the CFMs on the fan?[/quote]

Aww, I would if they had more, but it's one of those warehouse shops that sells one of everything and nothing twice. I don't think they had anything else in their inventory that was grow related. NPS I believe was the seller. CFMs on the fan 400.

14. Nice pickup nonetheless.

15. After rereading your thread, it occurred to me that nobody has asked about your experience with use as a pain remedy and what your current prescription for traditional meds is; I ask because a doctor in my backwoods no weed state refused to prescribe narcs for me. I have two herniated thoracic discs and live with constant burning pain in the center of my back, like someone is pressing a lit cigar into my spine. His words were "By Alabama law, I am not allowed to prescribe narcotics to someone I know who uses marijuana". That was after two epidurals and several weeks of TENS therapy; certainly reinforced my disdain of traditional western medicine and left me as my own "expert on pain therapy" I believe I damaged these discs when I had a nocturnal Gran Mal seizure in 1998; labeled idiopathic epilepsy, I rejected the consulting neurologist's recommendation to undergo a precautionary course of treatment consisting of an indeterminate period (several years was the hint) with an anti seizure medicine. I have found relief from both conditions with my daily use of marijuana however living in Alabama I face not only Bible-thumping prejudice but serious fines and jail time for my choices. There is a MMJ bill before the House here, but a lifetime of living among these hillbillies has given me little hope that it will pass. You mention a no med state as well so I feel a kinship for your plight and your courage to take charge of your own treatment.

16. [quote name='"mrjerky"']After rereading your thread, it occurred to me that nobody has asked about your experience with use as a pain remedy and what your current prescription for traditional meds is; I ask because a doctor in my backwoods no weed state refused to prescribe narcs for me. I have two herniated thoracic discs and live with constant burning pain in the center of my back, like someone is pressing a lit cigar into my spine. His words were "By Alabama law, I am not allowed to prescribe narcotics to someone I know who uses marijuana". That was after two epidurals and several weeks of TENS therapy; certainly reinforced my disdain of traditional western medicine and left me as my own "expert on pain therapy" I believe I damaged these discs when I had a nocturnal Gran Mal seizure in 1998; labeled idiopathic epilepsy, I rejected the consulting neurologist's recommendation to undergo a precautionary course of treatment consisting of an indeterminate period (several years was the hint) with an anti seizure medicine. I have found relief from both conditions with my daily use of marijuana however living in Alabama I face not only Bible-thumping prejudice but serious fines and jail time for my choices. There is a MMJ bill before the House here, but a lifetime of living among these hillbillies has given me little hope that it will pass. You mention a no med state as well so I feel a kinship for your plight and your courage to take charge of your own treatment.[/quote]

I read a version of your story here in the city somewhere's, and I sure can relate. To keep it short, double S curve scoliosis with pain most of my life....high pain tolerance so I never let it slow me down. Hit early 40's and threshold breached....I could barely stand. Meds didn't help and fusion surgery was recommended. I've had 3 since....the first 2 (2 weeks apart) helped for about a year, then deterioration...again. Had a third (by then I had a bulging disc besides arthritis and degenerative disk disease) and it failed. So...fused from T4-S1 and in constant gun-to-the-head pain. Having been on meds (only morphine and methadone work for me) for 10 yrs I've built a tolerance and have to alternate between them when one stops working. I HATE narcotics...always have, but I could never get out of bed w/o them, and would be in agony whilst IN bed. The meds take the edge off, but activity of any sort is still sorely limited. The worst thing about it all is that I'm an A type personality lol! Kinda like a shark that never sits still....frustrating at the very least.

Does mj help? I don't know yet :) I lost most of my friends when I became 'disabled', and the ones we have don't smoke, so no access! We had one friend who had a connection and if he was in the right mood you could score a bit here and there, but Lord knows the strain....in my life I've never had weed that was anything but leaves, seeds and maybe if you were lucky a small bud or two in a bag. The couple of times I've smoked since pain was an issue it just made me concentrate MORE on the pain...not a good thing when you use disassociation to cope ;) This is my first grow....and buds are just starting to form. I have tried a few fan leaves here and there from trim, and the White Castle for me seemed to help, so I'm hopeful! Have you found strains that work for you?

Edit: I tried to keep it short...really I did.

17. Strains? Lol, I'm a single-wide trailer-park kinda smoker; always buy in bulk and never sucked into the marketing scam of "kind bud". I understand there is some benefit to knowing genetics in so far as having a schedule of growth patterns, but I believe that weed is weed and if you give a plant the proper care and time you will get what you need. Adapting your harvest by the development of your babies will provide the type of buzz that works best for you; good luck on finding a safer and more endurable treatment for your condition.

18. #58 drhell2pay, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    I hope both of you can make it over to my hemp oil thread, it could really really help you both out medically.

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-...make-medical-grade-hemp-oil.html#post11482192

I'm also in a non medical state. Fuck the police state tyrannical bastards. One thing I learned in our process NEVER tell the doc you smoke MJ or vape it. I recommend you vape it for medicinal use along with ingesting.

I'm sure you both know this but time of harvest and strain type have a LOT to do with pain management. I've grown some strains that work better than dilaudid for my wife and they gave her 5mg pills of the shit because she was terminal and they're like fuck it, who cares if she gets addicted.

My goal was and is still to keep her from ever having to take that shit as the side effects and addiction is volatile as you know up to and including death.

If you need advice on pain strains, you can also visit my grow thread (click my picture in my signature) and there are many people in there including myself who can help you with the best strains. I will help ANYONE in pain the best I can because I know first hand the shitstorm that it causes in your lives. It breaks my fucking heart that you are put in that situation. I'm not fishing for subscriptions for my thread trust me, its 400 some pages long almost and has plenty of people in it, lol.

19. Weed is not weed. Having grown out and tested many many many strains in an effort to destroy my wife's pain I can attest to this first hand. Please check out some reviews on pain strains which are also grown properly it really really does matter hugely on both accounts.

20. THIS

GDP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eliminated my wife's pain (which is by doctor's accounts is top tier number 11 pain on the 1-10 scale I'm sure you're sick of being asked about)...

This while getting me stoned as all hell and back and as you can see is grown beautifully did NOTHING for my wife's pain whatsoever..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I forgot to mention I have THREE caregivers all helping my wife out. You'll see them in my threads. ME BUBBLEDUSTY (who grew that amazing GDP from my breeding efforts - AKA my seed stock of GDP I bred), MajorBotany, who has grown some crazy fire buds for her too and myself.