Medical Marijuana Pits States Versus Feds

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Medical Marijuana Pits States Versus Feds
    ABC / NILS KONGSHAUG / April 11, 2012

The sun has now warmed the rich soil of California's Central Valley. It's time to plant. But for one of the valley's most profitable crops, this year's forecast is decidedly chilly. Starting this weekend, growers of medicinal marijuana who have the bad luck to be in Madera County, will have to move their entire crop into their bedrooms or, at least, a bedroom-sized greenhouse.

The new county rule says plants must be in an enclosed space no larger than 10 feet by 12 feet. That's enough room for about a dozen plants says Madera County Sheriff John Anderson, more than enough space for anyone legally growing marijuana for their own medical use. "What we're hoping is it will prohibit the huge crops they've been planting out there for commercial and criminal use," he says. "You don't need several thousand plants to control pain."

When California legalized marijuana for medical use in 1996, Johnson says it was an invitation for drug cartels to move in. Before 1996, he says, illegal growers were forced to hide their crops high in the mountains. "They've since discovered, 'why go up into the mountains when we can grow legally here in the valley?'" he says. "They've just moved into the farmlands and started growing large crops."

Medical Marijuana Debate Pits States Against Feds
    Last year Johnson says there were 80 marijuana crops in his county with between 100 and 5,000 plants. This year, all of those crops will be illegal. Even supporters of legal marijuana for medical use acknowledge the problem sheriffs like John Anderson are facing.

California State Sen. Mark Leno is a major voice in support of legal medical marijuana. He says Anderson has found "a creative solution" to an underlying problem. That problem is that California and 15 other states now say one thing when it comes to medical marijuana, while the federal government says another. Those 16 states have passed laws allowing patients with a doctor's recommendation to grow and use marijuana, but those people are still breaking federal law. So law enforcement is caught in a trap. "Until that discord is resolved we will continue to struggle," says Leno.

Anderson's solution is to follow state law when it comes to growers with just a few marijuana plants, but to call the feds when he finds a major growing operation. "Anyone we catch we recommend for federal prosecution because they can't use Prop 215 [which legalized medical marijuana]," he says. "And the feds don't have parole, so people will serve 85 to 90 percent of their sentence."

But far from an ally, Leno sees in the federal government the root of the problem. The Obama administration came into office pledging not to prosecute medical marijuana cases. But this month federal agents raided the infamous Oaksterdam University in Oakland, Calif., across the bay from Leno's San Francisco district. It's an election year, and Leno smells politics. "They've done a complete about-face and it's very disappointing," he says. "We've got a raging meth problem not just in California but across this country. There are some very dangerous drugs out there destroying lives and communities, but the Justice Department's singular focus seems to be on medical marijuana."

Oaksterdam Raided By Feds
    Oaksterdam is both a dispensary for medical marijuana and a school for cannabis entrepreneurs, offering classes on every aspect of this burgeoning industry. Even the name (combining Oakland and Amsterdam, where marijuana is legal) is a wink to its underlying agenda.

Advocates on both sides of the issue acknowledge that the medical use of marijuana is sometimes a cover for recreational use. Patients do not need a prescription for marijuana, only a "recommendation" and a quick search on the internet will turn up dozens physicians selling those recommendations to treat a wide range of symptoms.

Last Monday, agents from the Drug Enforcement Agency raided both the school and the apartment of its founder, 49-year-old Richard Lee, suggesting the feds may be planning to bring a case against Lee on federal tax charges.

But while marijuana growers and police in 16 states must navigate a strange world where federal and state laws contradict each other, the marijuana growers in one California county now have a clear understanding of what's allowed: you can grow marijuana in your bedroom, but not your back yard.

videos at title link

2. I can see why the cops want this controlled, however it will not be good. All those crops supported the weed consumption in the US, where the majority of all weed in the US is grown here (45% US, 40% Mexico, 5% Canada, 10% other countries). Now a lot of that Cali Kush will not be there, opening the market to Mexican drug lords to fill in, damn shame the cops have it all backwards here.

3. ^^In this situation, though, I don't think it's the cops that have it backwards. I actually sympathize, in a way, with law enforcement when it comes to state v/s feds on the issue of mmj. They, the local law, are really in a catch 22. The State says such-n-such is okay, while the feds say it's all illegal. Federal law trumps state law every time. <----That's what needs to change. States should be allowed to regulate certain laws without federal interference...Period.

4. I agree the cops in the county are just trying to do what's best, however, what's best there is just going to escalate more drugs being produced else where. And all of this will not end until it is legalizes and regulated.

5. ^^Absolutely, 100% true. Until the states and feds come to some kind of agreement, the only ones who will prosper from the situation will be the criminals, and at the cost of the sick and the suffering.

6. Federal law should only trump state law if the state law directly discriminates against or harms people. IE if some southern state wanted to bring back racist laws against black people it would be time for the feds to intervene.

7. that would be nice but it's not how our system works. Federal law needs to be changed and it can be done, but not with the people the Republican and Democratic parties foist upon us to be chosen from. It is nice to see that some in law enforcement are trying to find a way to carry out the will of the states voters in the face of federal intervention.

8. the cost is not just the burden of the sick and suffering. common citizens who just like to get high also carry this burden. the issue goes far beyond medical use which quite honestly is just a drop in the bucket and in my opinion not as important as the issue of government interfering in it's citizens lives with the power of law for no justifiable reason.

9. Federal law only trumphs state law if the power is given to the federal government in the Constitution.

10. You're right. I totally agree. I'm not one of these who believes cannabis should only be legal for medical purposes. I just always seem to weigh in on the side of those suffering from medical issues because I'm one of them. I don't mean to lose sight of those on the other side of the same debate. It's just that my pain is a constant reminder of why I started using in the first place, and that tends to skew my view. :eek:

11. Great just what we need! More non-violent "criminals" serving hard time for producing to much of a fucking plant..

This whole debate seems pointless to me, I don't even think it's worth discussing. Medical Marijuana? Fuck that. It should be legal in all 50 states. It's funny how a plant that is known to cure diseases is illegal, while tobacco has 0 medical benefits and is widely marketed to young audiences.

I say it should be legal in all states not because I'm just your typical stoner, I don't even smoke that much anymore, but I say it because no one should be able to tell me what I can or cannot put in my body. It's that simple.

12. and I did not mean to say medical users did not have a legit reason to join in the battle that I have been fighting for over 30yrs. sorry to hear that anyone needs pain relief and yet happy to hear that in your case my favorite vegetable can provide it ;)