600 watt + 400 watt or one 1000 watt?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by whiteb0inewb, Apr 10, 2012.

1. I currently have 1 400 watt hps. I want to upgrade to 1000 watts but don't really want to spend 290+ dollars to get the 1000 watt dimmable cool tube.

I can get a 600 watt dimmable for around 210-220$. If I add a 600 to my 400 and air cool them both will that be sufficient or will I not benefit as much as I would from 1 1000 watt??

Little confused and having a hard time deciding what to do

2. It is an option, but not the best. The lighting would be off and uneven. If you don't care, then go for it, you will still get good results.

But I would sell the current one and get a 1000 or two 600's.

3. Yea that's what I'm worried about. I guess I'll go with 1000 watter and run my 400 watter for veg in my dr80 or something. Going for 4x4, 4 plants 1 lb scrog

4. What if you ran the 400 for the first 4 weeks of flower and the 600 for the last 4?

5. #5 WaGreenGuru, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
    I would do the 600 and the 400! 2 sources of light will always be better than one, Also you can get a mixed spectrum from having one a mh and one a hps. Also the 600's give you the most lumens per watt. Also will have a higher amount of overall coverage from the 2 lights over the one. Idk your decision in the long run buddy, But I think that 2 lights is deffinently better than one any day.

Edit: I just read that your air cooling your hoods, If you choose to run the 600 and the 400 it is pointless to run a mh in the air cooled hood. Alteast for uv bonuses. The glass from the hood will not allow the uv to come through, atleast not in enough of a amount that will do anything awesome for the girls.

6. i'd go with the 6 and 4 bare bulb vertical

7. How big is your space and how many plants are you growing? I would definitely go with the 1000 if it covers the area of your grow, more robust buds and better yield.

8. It's just a 4x4 area. Going to be scrogging to create a thick canopy to really capture all the light I can. Hard decision is hard. I'm leaning toward the 1000 watter, but still weary of dropping about 300 for it. Probably just going to do it tho

How realistic is it to expect around a lb under 1000 with 4 plants?

9. id get the 1000. because im in the same exact situation and thats what im doing, and i think youll be able to pull a p off 4 plants but also depends on what strain your growing. if your good enough you can off most any strain. Ive pulled 4 os off one plant under a 400, and that was one of 3 plants i had under it. ps i had NO ventillation, i kept my closet door open a little at all times with fans blowing in and out and the buds were awesome.

10. A pound from a 1000w is realistic, but not for a newbie.

11. Buy the 600 watter put a HPS bulb in it.

Use your 400 watter with an MH bulb in it.

Use this until you are 3 weeks into flower then replace that 400watter bulb with an HPS light. Now you are running both lights...Like the poster a few before me...600watters put out more lumens per watt than a 1000watter!!! Work smarter not harder.

There is your pound of weed ....Thank me when you harvest.

12. [quote name='"phucker"']id get the 1000. because im in the same exact situation and thats what im doing, and i think youll be able to pull a p off 4 plants but also depends on what strain your growing. if your good enough you can off most any strain. Ive pulled 4 os off one plant under a 400, and that was one of 3 plants i had under it. ps i had NO ventillation, i kept my closet door open a little at all times with fans blowing in and out and the buds were awesome.[/quote]

[quote name='"usedtocare"']A pound from a 1000w is realistic, but not for a newbie.[/quote]

Yea I just pulled 3.8 oz off a blueberry gum under a 400 watter. The smoke is outstanding.

13. I'll be making the purchase soon I'm still not 100%

14. #14 JonesB, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  15. I'd get another 400 and do a scrog, but thats just me

16. [quote name='"JonesB"']Check this out> vertical grow[/quote]

God damnnnn the yield off that first plant was amazing. Wish I had bare bulbs and the space to try out a vert grow.

2 400's won't give me as many lumens as a 600 and a 400. A 600 and 400 will also throw out more lumens then the 1000 watter. But with the 400,s light penetration wont be that great. Does this matter when I scrog? Will I see a huge difference using two 400s instead of a 400 and 600 or even one 1000 watt? I'm looking for efficiency and something that will give me a large yield. The choices are near endless at this point.

17. Yea I wish I could do a vert., but mine is too hard to change.

If you plan on doing a scrog with both lights it would be easier with 2 of the same size lights, not saying it cant be done it just easier.

As far as efficient I got 2 ½ off my severely overgrown 2x400 watt grow and 2 from the next one.

18. [quote name='"mile"']Yea I wish I could do a vert., but mine is too hard to change.

If you plan on doing a scrog with both lights it would be easier with 2 of the same size lights, not saying it cant be done it just easier.

As far as efficient I got 2 ½ off my severely overgrown 2x400 watt grow and 2 from the next one.[/quote]

Yea now I'm just thinking of running two alternating tents. Both scrog, one 400 in a DR 80 and one 600 in a 4x4. Thinking harvest one around June the next in July.

So many routes to go!

19. Skimmed through this thread, my recommendation; get another 400 watter. This will allow you to place your lights closer, with less heat issues, giving you more effective lumens.

Regards