The End of the Tunnel

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jörmungandr, Apr 10, 2012.

1. LOL  HAHAHAHAHhahahahahhaa................I like

2. A pale reflection of the more dedicated growers here, my method is more wishful thinking than action;   even on autopilot, with my humble approach things are looking pretty good.  The back up dancers show a variety of silhouettes already with some staying short and bushy despite several toppings while others on the same schedule are much ganglier.   All are as large now or larger than the ones  in flower were when I flipped them so I should have my hands full when these get promoted. 

IMAG0204.JPG IMAG0205.JPG IMAG0206.JPG

IMAG0207.JPG IMAG0208.JPG IMAG0209.JPG

The girls in the Big Room  are slowly hitting their stride (not quite a month from flipping) but two with Sativa dominant characteristics look as though they'll take forever to fill out

IMAG0168.JPG IMAG0167.JPG IMAG0165.JPG IMAG0169.JPG IMAG0170.JPG IMAG0171.JPG IMAG0172.JPG IMAG0173.JPG IMAG0174.JPG IMAG0175.JPG IMAG0176.JPG IMAG0177.JPG

3. Still about a week shy of a month on short hours.

IMAG0238.JPG IMAG0239.JPG IMAG0240.JPG IMAG0241.JPG

4. Sats are light whores

Not good with cfls

They may never finish

5. Appreciate the insight;  actually a 400 watt HID combined with a 90 watt UFO LED in the center of the room with four 42 watt @2700k CFLs to cover the weak spots.   I have two Skeksis in there that may take til the end of November to fatten up but the other ten should be ready much sooner.

IMAG0216.JPG

6. Shamelessly shared from the Serious Faces Forum (like I mentioned, I'm more at home here but have opted to create a persona to find gems like this) this thread concerning Sativas might prove enlightening to some. RUST / for those like myself who prefer the vibe here or anyone who might blanch at the cross promotion of another site, I apologize for not researching and finding an equivalent here before posting this.

7. Seems as though several of these come from the opposite end of the gene pool from the aforementioned Skeksis;  that's the delicious mystery of collective seed gathering and Bagseed in general, never know what will show up for the dance.  Not the best batch for one month from seed but far from the worst;  the bedraggled four at the end were transplanted too early but I'm sure they'll come around.

IMAG0290.JPG IMAG0291.JPG IMAG0292.JPG
    IMAG0293.JPG IMAG0294.JPG IMAG0295.JPG

IMAG0296.JPG IMAG0297.JPG
    IMAG0298.JPG IMAG0299.JPG

My next wave started soaking last night;  with the hope of revisiting a very odd Ruderalis throwback from my first effort several years ago, I chose these beans from the original batch that spawned the creature of my fantasy .  Curiosity might bite me on the ass with this one;  the original never got more than five inches tall but had dark green that I've never encountered before or since.

8. Only made it page 100 of nearly 600 in the RUST thread after almost a week;  deliciously decadent pics and tales of breeding (getting hints that this thread might show the birth of the Golden Tiger that I tried a couple of years ago).  My beans showed three different silhouettes out of five that I ran, which only strengthened my feeling that "named strains" were more a marketing hype considering the anonymity of the internet as a source and the completely unregulated way in which the cannabis culture floats along the edges of society.  Lacking the ability to buy cuttings  from the mother in a controlled environment where I could see what I'm getting I'll continue with my indefensible championing of Bagseed. 

9. With a new batch in the ground, I won't be so preoccupied with the glacial pace of the wave I started last month;  even if there's a bottleneck created by these girls in flower taking overlong, I still have the shelves that I can easily put in to action to begin short hours for any overflow from the Vegetarium. 

IMAG0352.JPG IMAG0351.JPG IMAG0350.JPG
    IMAG0349.JPG IMAG0348.JPG IMAG0347.JPG
    IMAG0346.JPG IMAG0345.JPG IMAG0344.JPG
    IMAG0343.JPG IMAG0342.JPG IMAG0341.JPG

OK, so are you saying that there is a possibility that "ORIGINAL" genetics DO PLAY a part in the unknown Bagseed????  LOL  Yes, Chupa....it does....I'm running 3 unknowns in the flowering room NOW, with the rest (8 plants) of KNOWN....& I'm telling you, even if I didn't know which were unknowns, I could pick out the unknowns....just by their structure....they are flowering, but are not the healthiest of the bunch....tall & bare...I'll get some smoke, but little...My theory???  The seeds are feminized & from hemied plants...maybe immature seeds where full genetic makeup was NOT passed on.....so, I feel it is a crap shoot with Bagseed....don't get me wrong, I have had some wonderful Bagseed plants, but my main objective is "WEED" for my curing closet...running them?  Well, my curiosity gets the better of me every time...I will run them to the end, just to see what they do...with space allowing!!!  LOL 

Hey, now these look to me to be heat stressed....or possibly not enough fresh air in the closets....see the curling of the fan leaves???  I would say has something to do with "AIR"....are you feeding these ladies anything?  Or going just soil only.....

~Julie-Beth~   questions, questions....I'm just full of them....LMAO!

11. #1351 Jörmungandr, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
    What I've always maintained is that there is no reason for "me" to believe that the anonymous source from the internet will provide the actual strain ordered and more importantly that "strains" are purely marketing hype by cash hungry seed companies and this bait has been swallowed by a great majority of prideful growers.  Status symbol, bragging rights, call it what you will;  it still doesn't guarantee what you will be able to produce from an endless variety of environments and techniques.   And the logic of assuming that Bagseed is more prone to hermie and is  any more of a crap shoot than $10 beans escapes me;  recount after recount here and elsewhere of people working the prized genetics only to be disappointed with their result (not to mention the ones that don't germinate).  As you say my aim is to provide for my needs with the best smoke I can manage, but I don't feel that store bought seeds have any more potential than what I find in my sock drawer.

P.S. Welcome back, yourself.

12. #1352 Sundance6758, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
    I agree with you on the whole deal...this is why I REFUSE to send my $$$$ out of the country & hope I would get what I paid for...& that customs doesn't flag it....some of the prices are outrageous!!  I will NEVER do that...now, if a breeder wants me to runs his/her genetics as test runs...fuck yeah...I'll do that!  If someone in my area wants to do a clone exchange....yep, I'll do that one!  I'll also gratefully accept seeds from friends, regardless which state they may hail from.....I like my $$$ in my pocket & my weed in the curing closet, thank you very much!  LOL  Listen, I get what you are saying...& I think we all KNOW that you can ruin a genetically known plant just by looking at it wrong, where the same applies to bagseed....duh!  Now, the Noobs may not have figured this one out yet (& may never) & the more experienced growers may follow suit (which really makes no sense to me, but??)....As a grower starts figuring it all out, well I would hope by that time they have made personal contacts for clones & seeds, thus not falling for the HIGH PRICED seeds from an unknown source....Yes, I get it Chupa....speaking of Bagseeds....My 8000 ft Experiment has come to a close....She was harvested yesterday & is hanging in the basement at a nice comfortable 70F & 65% RH....purty purty Li'l Bagseed....& smells like a cross between a Blueberry & something else I can't place yet...but is Fruity!!!  LOL  Here Lookie:

Her Bee-U-Tif-Full Purple/ Black Leaves on my Knee   BB purple leaves #1 (800x600).jpg
          And one of her Purple Buds (one of 6)  8000ft BBaby Bud (800x600).jpg  

Now, this is Bubba-Baby....We think it was a Bubba Kush that came out of a Dispensary purchase...Only one seed was found & it's still "up in the air" if it really is a Kush!  LOL  This is the 3rd run of her, but up to this point it was all indoors...I chose her to be the first try outdoors at 8000 ft  & her sisters have all reached at least 5 ft indoors...Bagseed, Chupa....Bagseed....ain't she pretty???  LMAO!

~Julie-Beth~   by the way, missed you too.... :wub:

13. Would be interesting to see what matching clones do indoors and outdoors (I suspect the coloration is harder to achieve indoors). 
    Even though I rushed them into the soil once again, I'm please with this early showing from a batch that as I mentioned has to be at least 10 to 15 years old;  their fairly uniform appearance at least indicates that I managed to properly segregate the seeds.

Lilliputians.JPG IMAG0372.JPG

IMAG0373.JPG
    IMAG0374.JPG IMAG0375.JPG IMAG0376.JPG IMAG0377.JPG

The earlier wave has all been transplanted to their intermediate 2 gal buckets for extended veg;  they'll have the luxury of another six to ten weeks before being called up to the big leagues.  (missed one for the class photo, but I'm too lazy the redo it)

IMAG0368.JPG IMAG0369.JPG IMAG0370.JPG IMAG0371.JPG
    IMAG0383.JPG IMAG0384.JPG IMAG0385.JPG IMAG0386.JPG IMAG0387.JPG

14. Waiting in the wings, ready for their turn in the Big Room and more robust than anything yet.
    IMAG0398.JPG IMAG0399.JPG

If it weren't for the close up pics you might not recognize Quasimodine on the left.

IMAG0394.JPG IMAG0395.JPG

15. wow, they look GREAT!!!!!

16. Transplants went pretty well for the four dainty ladies who now tower over their elders and will soon blot out my electric Sun.

IMAG0462.JPG IMAG0463.JPG IMAG0464.JPG IMAG0465.JPG

17. I'm admittedly a narcissistic and opinionated blowhard so I am well qualified to recognize that quality in others;  strange that it lessens my feelings of camaraderie when I see it displayed rather than sparking a greater kinship.  Rather than bruise egos, I'm rambling in the abstract to try to sort out my own thoughts and perhaps soften the rougher edges of my personality.  Speaking in forums like these is a cry for attention whether the poster admits it to themselves or not;  with four threads kept active more for my own amusement than any commitment to community, I feel again I'm an expert on the topic. 
    I've made no secret of my unsophisticated history of dealing with nameless schwag for the more than 40 years I've enjoyed the leaf of life and in doing so, cast aspersions and disdain upon more dedicated and serious growers and users;  more to my shame.  While I remain convinced of the inherent potential of all weed to rise above, it's foolish and ignorant for me to continually deny the gains made by their efforts.  The mistrust of others that produces the doubt about authenticity of online purchases is just my glass half empty mentality;  the flip side is that perhaps there is more potential in that anonymous seed than in what I've got squirreled away from days gone by. 
    (re-reading this before sending, I can't help but feel satisfied that I've turned the diatribe inward rather than lashing out).    I've had my share of folks wander in for short periods and then drift away but there are some who enjoy listening to the mockingbird. 

18. Sadly, I couldn't contain the Muse and let fly with this bit of cryptic criticism that I'm sure will ruffle some feathers but I unsubscribed so any retorts will be voiced to empty air unless the feeling of umbrage motivates their commentary in one of my threads.

There was a grumpy bastard drinking coffee close to dawn
    mad at everything and everyone for messing up his lawn
    instead of signs and fences that would keep the world at bay
    he attacked the ones who trespassed in a most disgusting way
    with an unexpected anger he would catch them by surprise
    like a cobra spitting venom in their unprotected eyes
    and exposing in the process to those sitting on the side
    a little bit of darkness that excuses cannot hide

19. I liked it & thought is was appropriate when posted.....as do others in that thread....the group that targeted Rookie's thread do it often & I've seen them wreak havoc on others...don't be too judgmental, Ol Wise One....

~JB~