The End of the Tunnel

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jörmungandr, Apr 10, 2012.

1. That's why good growers are good growers. The passion and drive and love of doing what we do and always trying to get better :).

Next run without breaking the bank try THIS soil mix:

HIGHTIMES.COM > Subcool’s Super Soil Step-by-Step

It's pretty similar to mine.

Also people are correct to steer you towards a HID, while I am thoroughly impressed with what you've done with CFLs, I know you'll have much more density to your buds (CFLs tend to grow airy buds) with a good penetrating light that has a much more ample spectrum for the plants.

I got there the same way. I started indoor quite awhile ago with CFLs and I still use two 105 watt spiral CFLs by sunlite in my veg room combined with a 400 watt HID. I upgraded to the 400 watt and a tent awhile back, then moved the 400 watt to a side room and went with 2 - 1000 watt 6xxxl hoods in the flowering room and have never looked back. Let's just say I'm very happy I saved up for this investment. It has been well worth it.

As far as my soil recommendation - I don't like moisture control soils for a few reasons. They design that soil for grandmas who forget to water so it will hold onto moisture for long periods. This stunts the growth of MJ. MJ needs to dry out (not for long periods of time) once in awhile so the roots go searching for more moisture. This is why some people get spiraled or root bound plants int he pots and why I use air pots to self prune the roots. If you cant go with air pots, I highly suggest you punch ass tons of holes in your pots, sides etc :). Use a drill. You want the soil to dry out every few days.

That requires massive attention to prevent the plants from dying without water and vacations are IMPOSSIBLE, but it seems you have the attentive qualities good growers possess!

The cat video was the funniest grow video I have seen yet!!:hello:

2. #42 Jörmungandr, May 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
    was curious

3. They're used for outdoor lighting, like on the side of apartment buildings and such. They still require a ballast, Shotnva has a great thread on how to diy them into a grow. You can find the units at home depot in the outdoor lighting section, don't know offhand how much they are but they're pretty cheap, especially if you "find" one on the side of a building ;)

4. Mrjerky. Check Craigslist in your area. I often see people with commercial buildings selling those very very cheap. I saw one guy selling a pallet full but you could get them individually. Some were self contained ballasts in the hoods that you can remove with a little DIY which is what I believe Not Sure might be referring to.

5. While I was shopping at the Depot the other day I of course took a look at their lighting. They had some hps fixtures (in the area where outdoor security lights are) but the most 'powerful' was 70 watt. It was one of those cylinder style pole barn lights, and it was only $45. It came with a bulb too, but I figured 70 watts (and Lord knows the spectrum of the bulb...it wasn't listed) would only serve as 'filler' and add to my already near critical heat issues, so I walked away.

6. #46 Jörmungandr, May 18, 2012
     personal experience is really no  way to judge

7. [quote name='"mrjerky"']Since a buzz is a subjective and personal experience, there is really no qualitative way to judge the effect of my finished product; click on Stingray for his opinion.[/quote]

Don't even get me started about your cat not being neutered ....

8. #48 Jörmungandr, May 19, 2012
    Old pic

9. #49 Jörmungandr, May 19, 2012
    it's happened again,

10. :laughing: Some vagrant male is probably slipping in at night while you're sleeping :laughing:

Or, more likely one or more have hermied ....?

11. #51 Jörmungandr, May 19, 2012
     just poof,

12. #52 Jörmungandr, May 19, 2012
    I cursed myself

13. Where the harvest pics at!:poke:

14. #54 Jörmungandr, May 26, 2012
    I'm well pleased

15. Yummy buds! I'm so glad you got a haul and are happy with it. I can now sleep soundly tonight. Haha peace !

16. #56 Jörmungandr, May 30, 2012
    Sorry  to delete them.

17. [quote name='"mrjerky"']Sorry all the videos are gone; wife happened upon the youtube account and got cranky. Easier to delete them than try to convince her that they are harmless.[/quote]

You're a wise man mrjerky ;)

18. #58 Jörmungandr, May 30, 2012
     I don't

19. #59 Jörmungandr, Jun 2, 2012
    I huffed and puffed

20. I'd be skeptical of your success at grafting, but re-vegging, if the plant's healthy and you leave enough foliage for her to recover is certainly doable.
    I've thought about it, but have been having pretty good success w/clones so I've taken the easy way out ;)

You gonna try it, or was it an effect of the 'meld' that has since worn off?