Archery

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by TooLegit2Quit, Apr 6, 2012.

1. i used to love archery but my bow got stolen and i havent bothered to get a new one

2. Well where I'm at there aren't any suitable hunting targets besides wild chicken,goats, and sheep. And while I could if I had to don't see myself killing, cleaning nor eating any of them especially since it wouldn't be much of a challenge as most of those animals are descendants of domesticated animals and besides some of the more aggressive chickens (don't judge till you've been chased and pecked by a chicken) I wouldn't call them Wild.

I'm Rambling but I hope someone finds that interesting. Anyway the point of all that is that there aren't any archery interest down here, and ordering a bow would be a waste. So I've taken to building my own bows and while they are successful in my eyes, I'm having a lot of trouble in making straight arrows. Anyone have any tips?

3. a small flame. one of the straightening techniques used until modern arrow materials came about was candling or fire straightening/hardening. the key is to heat the wood up until it is pliable. it might take a little practice, because it is a matter of seconds before you go from the correct heat you need to having a flaming stick in your hand. or break down and buy a couple of carbon arrows.

4. dude i found a bow online old wood just a regular practice one. love the thing want to go hunting

5. Thanks I'll look into it.

6. T-minus three days until bow season here. This will be my 8th year bowhunting. By far the most satisfying way to take a whitetail or any other game for that matter. I shoot an older Parker Hunter-mag. Definitely not the newest or nicest piece of archery equipment out there, but she shoots so damn smooth and will put an arrow through both sides of a rib cage; that's all I'm worried about it when it comes down to it.

I'd like to get a recurve, but hunting on the properties I do, I don't want to take any chances of missing with a bow. Opportunity definitely doesn't show itself too often.

Good luck to all those who will be taking to the woods or already have!

7. I still have my PSE from 1993 in the garage. Haven't even moved it in 10 years. I used to love going hunting in Prescott, Az for deer.

Might have too pull it out and put a new string on it. Maybe I can still draw it! :)