Archery

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by TooLegit2Quit, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Any archers out there? I just got into the lifestyle and plan to go hunting once I have the gear!

2. What's the lifestyle like? Lol

3. Well what I meant was, I just got into an adventure lifestyle. I'm fed up with the city and now prefer going to the shooting range, camping, fishing, hiking, etc. at scenic places. If I had the money I would revolve 90% of my freetime to archery but gear cost $$$

4. start with a 25 30 weight.. there cheap maybe 60$

5. I actually do have one of those, and after a couple days I got sick of how weak it was :/. I'm going to the range soon to see if I can pull back a 70# from the getgo cause that's what is recommended for my weight.

Watchu shootin?

6. I have a 2001 PSE Nova 70lb 29 inch draw. I got my hunting license this past year, but of course now I work mornings and haven't been able to go hunting at all. What a waste of money. Love shooting though, just gotta find a fairly close range I can go to, other than gander Mtn.

7. I have 5 or 6 basic bows. 3 are handmade by me and 3 were bought ranging from 150$-200$. They are all nice but even the most expensive one only has a 60 pound draw. It will do the trick but its not exactly what im looking for anymore. Ive hunted with it but its not the greatest. I need to get a compound bow.

Any reccomendations?

8. PSE bows are fairly cheap, decent quality, and kinda forgiving. Can't say beyond that other than go to a pro shop, (not gander or dicks) and shoot as many bows as you can to see what feels right to you.

Oh, as a side note, compound bows shoot completely different than traditional.

9. you should try building your own bow some time, it would be a nice project.

10. i haven't shot bows much for a few years
    for recreation, i love a good recurve bow, i think they look sexy and feel just right to shoot but when it comes to hunting i think a compound is definately the way to go as once you get it pulled back it holds pretty well and requires a lot less effort to hold out while you're waiting for that perfect shot that takes forever

i haven't gone bow hunting yet, trying to get one with a rifle first lol
    and nice on the adventure lifestyle lol imo if one is to spend money on things they may not nessacarily NEED, they should at least spend it on "adventure" things because it gives them experience in the outdoors and gives them excercise that some people aren't getting, especially those who spend their $ on the newest big screen or some bullshit like that...

11. I have a 60lb composite longbow that I use to shoot a hanging target in my backyard, I've shot a few deer with it but prefer rifles when it comes to hunting.

Though you do feel pretty badass stalking deer through the woods with just a bow and arrow.

12. From what people at the range say, compounds are for boys, or call them 'training wheels'.

13. "Training wheels" they may be, but anything that can shoot through two car doors and still go through some poor bugger on the other side isn't something I'd say is for a boy

14. This.

15. Honestly I think both compounds and recurves are for men, crossbows though.. Lol :D

16. Nice a archery thread! Glad I can get in on this, I got a 2011 qwest rev 60-70# limbs set on 60# with a 29 in draw. Im so excited for hunting this year, I have been practicing like crazy. Turkey season opens up this weekend so hopefully I will get a couple nice longbeards! Well Im subbed up for a good conversation. If you guys are serious and looking for awesome bows with awesome prices. I got mine from Hunter's Friend, America's Busiest Archery Store ... Discount Compound Bows and Hunting Equipment.
    Happy hunting guys!

17. Necro, for consolidation purposes.

I've always wanted to get into archery, but I always had too much on my plate till recently.

I'll start off by saying that I know next to nothing about archery, but I did have a few opportunities as a kid to fire a bow. I've been researching pretty heavily the last few days and I've decided I want to build my own bow.

Plan is to build an all wood (bar any strengthening laminates), 62" 3 piece TD recurve, 19" riser. Definitely overly ambitious, but I'm going to anyway. I have a pretty basic set of plans, and "The traditional bowyer's bible I & II" (still working my way through the first one). Also read through a tonne of build-alongs, though most are pretty vauge information wise. I'm sure it'll fall into place once I start.

I'm pretty handy, so it'll only be a test of patience/commitment. I'll be doing a few test runs building/shaping the riser with scrap wood to get a feel for the process. I just really love the idea of making my own bow. I don't mind if the bow turns out sub-par (next one will be better), just knowing I built it and that I can rework/tweak the design outweighs any gripes I'd have with it.

Any blades build their own bows? How do you like them? Any wisdom to part with on the subject?

Peace :smoke:

18. if you find forums to be as useful as i do, you may wanna check out paleoplanet for bowmaking thread and such

19. Cheers, first thing I always do is head to forums for info. Didn't come across those 2 though. I'll check them out when I get my computer set up again :)

20. nice to see we've got a few stick n string shooters on here. honestly unless you intend to devote most of your time to traditional shooting, i suggest a compound for your first bow. something light, on the 50#-60# range. you can find damn good used bows on craigslist (got my first mathews solo-cam on there) if you are interested in a damn good recurve that will give you plenty of years of great shooting i suggest the Samick Sage. $140ish bow, smooth limbs and a tack driver out past 40yds (this is as far as i have shot mine) i do recommend that you start out with light limbs, 35#-40# until you get your shot strength up, then up the poundage of the limbs. also if you go with traditional gear, when you go to build your arrows, you're going to want somewhere between 145gr-300+ gr up front. especially with lighter poundage bows.