Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Straining weed from oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Slushy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. I got a French press at a garage sale for 25 cents. It was brand new. Greatest investment I've made for straining oils, qwiso, etc. I can even make coffee with it! 

lol

:)

2. Cheesecloth soaked in your oil of choice and wrung out a little. This will keep the oil from spreading up the cheesecloth, therefore saving lost oil from being lost.

3. I don't bother straining it because I could *swear* I get a different effect from strained vs unstrained, anything made with strained oil almost always ends up being a paranoid and uncomfortable high for me, and maybe THC clings to the oil that you strain out, but I suspect there are other cannabinoids being left behind.

I use a Magic Bullet. The ground weed ends up blending nicely with whatever you put it in (my trick is to decarb in the oven, then bake in a baking dish with coconut oil and lecithin).

Maybe if you're having a party, having a bunch of good-tasting cookies that don't taste like weed, is important and it'll impress your friends.

But if you take it every night by yourself (especially if you're a medical user), the gimmick of weed cooking wears off. 

Preferred medium of administration is via Nutella or peanut butter. 

4. #25 mrsilly, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
    Potato ricer works great for larger runs. I squeeze it over a SS strainer to get any finer pieces.
    [​IMG]

Got it on Amazon or eBay don't remeber do know it was around $30.00 it Is SS so you can really squeeze it hard with out fear of it breaking.

Happy Mediables

I grow medicine not weed

5. I use cheesecloth.

6. For those that use the AeroPress with the fine mesh screen.
    What is your recovery rate?
    For example if you start with 100ml of coconut oil mixed with 10g of cannabis, how much do you recover?

7. Do I understand correctly - you MB your mix and the result is smooth and debris free enough to be a decent edible. I'm intrigued...

cat

8. I would like to knows this as well. AND - any ideas what micron size works best? Is 140 micron too fine?

Thanks for passing on your experience.

cat

9. Straining can cost you between 20% to 70% of the Cannabinoids being lost in the (Waste) material.
    Decarb raw weed first to activate the THCa to THC (240 F for 40 minutes)
    Grind to flour grade dust.

5 grams decarbed powdered weed
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    .5 teaspoon Lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Done.

This will give you the most bang for your cannabis dollars.

[​IMG]
    This is done with dry ice kief-hash but the steps and times are identical.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    Take care as this is as strong as it gets. My wife needs just 2 or 3 drops of this while I need a full capsule or 2.
    BNW

10. BrassNwood ^ This makes complete sense to me - seems like an '"oh, of course", though I have not read before to grind to a flour. Certainly seems like it would capture everything. The "flour" doesn't dissolve does it? So you could expect the oil to have a powdery consistency?

Could you then infuse honeys or lemon curd etc. with it or is it really limited to capsulizing? I assume you could multiply the proportions up or down depending on your intended finished product.

AND - why the freeze as the middle step?

Thanks much.

cat

11. The weed dust does indeed remain in suspension in the oil.
    For infusing Honey and Syrups we generally advise using high proof drinking grade Alcohol Tincture.

Canna oil I use directly as Capsules or in any baked good that calls for oil as part of the recipe.
    The freeze helps soften the weed particles and smooth's the gritty mouth feel it can have.
    My oil recipe will give you a thick sludge that only flows well when hot. Since I use this every day as medicine for my medical issues I need it as strong as possible with as little oil as I can use.

For a baked good like cookies or brownies add that finished tablespoon of Canna oil to the oil called for in your recipe, blend well then add the dry ingredients and cook at normal time and temp.
    BNW

12. Thanks BNw - Been looking around GC threads during the last 1/2 hour since I posted above and reading more from you guys about grinding to flour so I'm gettin' edgycated :thumbsup:

It occurs to me to ask this question - yup I'm a newbie to this tincturing/edibles stuff, so bear with me - why not run the high proof alcohol through the weed dust rather than through the bud/trim? Heat/evaporate pretty much the same but after, filter the alcohol/dust through a super fine filter to get out the grit. Wouldn't that get the concentrate better? Even though there is a filter process in the case of the dust, it would be after optimizing the exposure to the alcohol extraction and so (I'm guessing) leave a pretty potent fluid. With the bulk to alcohol process there is straining too, with much more residual matter left behind.

I'm not trying to reinvent the process as I have read and listened to lots of PSam's process and results and they are conclusively excellent but the high concentrate powder makes me wonder if there is another way.

You have my full attention :popcorn:

cat

13. #35 Cannacaps4U2, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Sorry bad post so I fixed it below

14. BrassNwood
    I am very interested in the method you use
    I would guess weed flour would be to thick to use an oral syringe?
    It seems like you are using an eye dropper ?
    How many 00 capsules do you get from the recipe you posted?
    And what is your dose?

15. @Catintheshop
    We tend to do alcohol extraction with a more rough grind grade of weed mostly to make it simple to strain. I've done it both ways with rough and fine ground weed and felt I was getting the same results but saved time not waiting for the fine grind to make its way through a coffee filter.

@Cannacaps4U2
    I usually use dry ice kief that is running through a 160 micron mesh so if your flower is larger then that in particle size it'll jam and you'll fight to load the caps.
    Can use a tip trimmed Plastic Pipette as that will have a much larger bore.
    The finished Tablespoon of Canna oil fills about 30 single zero capsules @ 100-150mg each.
    With good weed we guess a (0) cap to hold around 30mg worth of meds.
    I've not used 00 caps as a single 0 is a perfect dose for my needs.

BNW

16. Thanks BrassNwood - so you are saying that there is no appreciable potency gain using the weed dust rather than buds/trim ? Good to know.

cat

17. No. I mean good quality bud decarbed then ground to dust like flour.
    Trim is garbage in my book.
    GIGO = garbage in garbage out. You get back the quality of what you put in.
    Since I grow I can devote my entire personal grow to smashing the best buds up for the highest quality Kief I can make. Like skimming the cream off of whole milk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I use for my capsules.
    BNW

18. I might not have the terminology correct but I get it. I grow too and all my "stuff" is worthy of of use. I think I throw out parts that others would gather up off the floor while looking at me as if I am a mad man. :confused:

So - allow me to ask my question properly - "are you saying that there is no appreciable potency gain using the weed dust rather than good quality decarbed bud ? "

:weed-4: cat