How to clean a metal grinder?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by deepee, Apr 3, 2012.

1. how would you clean a metal grinder? it has been used before a while back but am trying to clean in so it looks brand new. since its metal, im thinking water would rust it, would isopropyl work?

2. Iso would work great.

Even better, i'm pretty sure you can make a bit of hash if your grinder is dirty enough...i don't know the method exactly though.

Basically, you wash with the iso, pour the liquid you use onto a plate or something, let it evaporate, and it leaves something nice.

Look up QWISO...i think that's what i'm poorly trying to describe.

3. Yes. You should rinse it in iso a few times. If you let the iso dry out on a plate you can scrape up some hash from it. I do it all the time. It's important that you do a few rinses. The first one or two will just get the grinder all sticky.

4. In the past I've just taken my grinder apart, put each piece one at a time in a glass with a bit of isopropyl alcohol, shake it around for a few seconds, and it's good to go.

Like the posters above said, pour the iso out onto a plate afterwards and let it evaporate. Scrape and smoke. :smoking:

5. looks like us detroiters are alike lol.

yeah OP i do the same thing. put it in a plastic baggy with enough iso to cover it and clean one part at a time. once its done strain it with a coffee filter and leave it on a pyrex dish for a day or two (run a fan over it to speed up the process). when its completely dry and free of iso oder scrape up the product with a razor blade. top a bowl, or lace a joint with it and enjoy :bongin:

6. The economy is tough around here. You gotta save money where you can.:D

7. So when you say pour the liquid onto a plate, what exactly do you mean. I was planning to just take apart my 3 piece grinder, and put each separate piece in isopropyl. how would i rinse the grinder of the iso? or if your not suppose to rinse it, how do i let it evaporate

8. Do you not rinse the grinder with anything after cleaning it with iso? or do i just let it dry itself?

And for the last part, pour the iso onto a plate of some sort and let it evaporate? what is left that lets you scrape and smoke???

9. No need to rinse with anything, they are usually stainless or aluminum either of which will not rust even with a water rinse.

Just pour the iso into a pyrex dish or a plate, simple enough now let it evaporate. You will be left with some recycled hash.

10. I would go ahead and rinse it.

It would probably be fine letting it dry by itself since isopropyl evaporates rather quickly, but I always rinse it afterwards. Just in case. ;)

All the stuff inside of your grinder, all the leftover kief that's stuck around the insides, that is what will be leftover when you let the alcohol evaporate. No point in letting it go to waste when you could smoke it instead. :D

11. I could spend hours cleaning my grinder hahaa. I just use a swiss army knife, a lighter and some common sense.

12. #12 youngkamikaze, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
    Ive heard you can boil your grinder in a pot of milk lol 😳 idk how well that works though

13. I think most grinders now are stainless or aluminum so they should not rust from a good rinse after the ISO bath.

Im cleaning my sharp stone today since I left it open and out over night and it got rained on lol.

14. soak in rubbing alcohol

and make qwiso...

16. I used water and it turned it white and ruined it I advice not to clean it at all.

17. Also, Happy Daddy Products makes a tool called the Grindson! It's great for digging into the threading and such... although I'd say it's more for regular maintenance than a full clean! Either way, it's an excellent tool to have around... doubles as a poker or dabber, possibilities are endless![​IMG]

18. Make sure to scratch out the hash deposits ^^

Those green patches around the grinding area, scratch those out and smoke or vape the resulting hash.

Isopropyl should work well for cleaning your grinder, although most grinders should have some kind of coating to protect the metal from rusting anyway, so water would theoretically work, but iso evaporates quicker and will allow you to possibly gain even some more hash from it. Look up QWISO.

19. Paintbrush will free everything stuck for now.

Do an ISO wash if you want it sparkling

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app