Dummy's Organic Run

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by 3Deez, Mar 31, 2012.

1. #3721 over dere, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    DDD

Since you live in America's version of Hell's Kitchen I wanted to ask you if jojoba and yucca plants are common there...

If not plants what about a good source for pure extracts?

Thanks for any help!!

CC

2. Hello CC, I live in SW Colorado. Lots of yucca around here. Is there something useful I can make of it? Thanks!!

3. #3723 over dere, Jul 29, 2014
    gardnerthegarener

Is it Yucca Schidigera specifically? 

CC

[​IMG]

4. We have those in my front yard!

Always wondered how to make some sort of yucca extract or as to what benefits they have.

5. CC,

Probably not. This is in my front yard and the wild ones are like it I'm pretty sure. I will keep my eye out for one like that. Any use for the kind I have?

image.jpg

6. #3726 over dere, Jul 29, 2014

LoneRanger

I'm still looking for a recipe for extraction but the benefits are the high levels of Saponins (all 4 groups), a wide spectrum of elements (NPK thingie) and the usual. When applied to leaves and branches it's called a surfactant. When applied to the soil is called a wetting agent - I have no idea why that is but it is. LOL!

I used to buy a human food-grade product from T & J Enterprises in Spokane, WA but their prices are in Goofytown - about $90.00 per gallon. This guy is about a taco short of a combo meal...

Here are some comparisons of different plants and their Saponin content...

Alfalfa - 20,000 ppm
    Aloe vera - 30,000 ppm
    Yucca - 40,000 ppm
    Horse chestnut - 260,000 ppm

CC

7. "I'll be back" - LOL!

8. If you find a recipe, feel free to shoot it my way! Ive been using aloe juice (not sure why I havent sourced fresh aloe as my mothers greenhouse is full of them).

They sell Yucca at tue street corner ready to transplant into a yard on a weekly basis.

I have seen a few people mentioning a "press" to extract comfrey using two 5 gal buckets..one inside the other with drainage holes and a weight on top. Do you think something similar would effectively work in this situation or is it more in depth than that?

9. #3729 over dere, Jul 29, 2014

LoneRanger

That I can't answer because I've never had the actual plant material available but it's definitely worth a shot!!!

The benefits are too many to list here but what I can tell you is that Aloe vera juice/extract is one of the best materials you can use - especially for its Salicylic acid content. 1/4 cup per gallon is all you need to use.

Salicylic acid was the very first commercial 'rooting agent' going back to the 1920's. This was at least 60 years before indole-3-acetic acid (IAA) and indole-3-butyric acid (<span style="font-weight:bold;color:rgb(84,84,84);">IBA) became the standard in the nursery stock sector. Aloe vera contains Salicylic acid, IAA and IBA as does coconut water. This will make your cuttings explode with roots and is far better than the hydro-store gunk & junk like Clonex, Oliva's and the rest.</span>

You're way ahead of the deal having fresh Aloe vera fillets to work with but do NOT try and store this gel because the Benzoic acid causes fermentation within 30 minutes after extraction. For consumer products they add salt which converts this acid to Sodium Benzoate which has been used as a food preservative for over 130 years. Check the labels on manufactured foods sometime and figure out how much of this crap we ingest daily - it isn't pretty.

HTH

CC

10. CC.... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the saponins of yucca located predominantly in the roots?  I remember hearing about native americans pulverizing yucca roots to make suds, then putting the suds into a stream.... apparently the saponins themselves would incapacitate or kill the fish, which were then easily collected..... maybe the saponins disrupted the breathing of the fish?

Anyway.... harvesting and pulverizing yucca roots seems a tedious task..... but there are plenty of videos on youtube about how to harvest yucca and cassava/manioc roots

11. Good morning all! Another great morning of coffee sipping and San Diego early morning fog (actually late morning, hehe!). @[member="GandalftheGreen"], that's one of my favorite scenes from Super Troopers. I hear that they are making a sequel. It'll be hard to top the first one that's for sure!

CC, we have Yucca like the species in the picture. They're a little further out on the outskirts of town where I hike and fish. I used to have some in my yard but at the time I had no idea what they were. They were just known as "Those ugly cactuses that need to go", according to my wife, :lol: We had a couple large ones, some agave and aloe plants. The agave and aloe literally became extremely invasive so we got rid of EVERYTHING. True to my luck, I found the organics section here long after our landscape had been replaced with rock. Now the only remnant of what we had from that time is a Nopal cactus that takes care of itself....literally. We slice new pads off every year to eat and it just keeps going.

Now I just have aloe that is already multiplying quickly. From just two plants in pots, we already have 6. Different types but equal in vigor!

12. <_< My coffee maker disintegrated! *sigh*

:D so I got a new one!!!
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406677690.562346.jpg
    Soooo many good looking women at the store today! From now on I do my shop'ns after work! ;)

13. #3733 HOWHIGHISTOHIGH, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcsqpoP7AY

I like to mute it, and play another song! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HORkT4a2MhQ

14. Whas up, whas up!! Did you guys see Silva vs Diaz announced? WTF, not sure what to think about that fight!

15. Check the shopping cart bro....if it's full of TV dinners, she might not be the one cause she ain't cookin! :lol:

...or maybe she can make up some points in the courtesy category if she's the type that'll pop one in the microwave for you along with hers, haha!

***note: none of the above is meant to be taken as a male chauvinistic attitude and is not a reflection of DDD inc. Or any of our affiliated sponsors. ;)

Bro, that was a great fight!! It could've gone either way and I would've been okay with it... but tbh, I'm happy to see a true vet of the sport in the hunt for the title!! Lawler puttin the stamp on them youngsters!!

The fight he was SUPPOSED to have against GSP? I seriously don't see Silva losing that fight...but Diaz could have everything to gain if he was to pull it off. I'd really hate to see Silva go further down the rankings with something like that.

16. Veg update:
    Kinda crazy....it's only been 10 days since this run kicked off. I could've sworn it was more like two weeks already. Only thing that keeps veg from going so slow for me is the deepening of the green and watching the leaves to see which way the phenos will lean. Then how many blades they'll have.... Okay, okay, I really like veg time but it seems like it IS dragging on right now....

Came back home today to find Ravnus showing his "situation" to my girls....:blink:...so he had to go! I replaced him with the other ravnus I had on standby. Still don't know the sex of that one either but I gave it a pinch of VAM on the roots just the same and threw it in.

The rooster among the hens...ravnus.
    1406699479925.jpg

Sugar punch clone is still throwing threes left and right but good thing is that she's putting on the green. Maybe that means she's coming round enough to start putting out fives, nines and size like her sister did.
    1406699635077.jpg

Our other bad girl....Orange K(r)ush. I topped her for the third and final time tonight. I know some of you think I shouldn't have kept this clone going since her mom bitched up and hermied on me. I still think it was something I did wrong with the mom and that the change was not a genetic thing. If she proves me right then it's me and her and we're thumbing our noses at all you naysayers. :p If she does me wrong again....then I'm a two time loser and shame on me. :unsure:
    1406699802285.jpg

Last but not least....Katsu Kush x Killing Fields. Still no idea on the sex. It's not a robust plant. Kinda small in stature. I read up on it in some of Sannie's forums and found that it's got some bubba in it genes so that should be interesting if it comes around as a lady.
    1406700199448.jpg

17. Good to see I'm not the only one awake around here.. Plants are lookin good dude! I've always been interested in Killing Fields for some reason. Yut. ;)

18. #3738 3Deez, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    Hey bro! I just got home from Camp Pendleton a little bit ago. Three hour drive, unpacked, tended the girls, showered and smoked a bowl :D

My back is kinda hating me right now for all that time in the seat and I'm always a little wired after a drive like that. I figure some nocturnal should help fix that.

Edit: Btw, I was reading up on killing fields also. The genetics says it's a direct offspring of "The One". I wonder if that is the same "The One" that's been talked about lately around the boards?

19. I would be willing to bet so! Not too many "The One"'s around these days. :p

Hey do ya ever check your PM's?

I'm betting No..... It says Sannies Seeds bred Killing Fields in the Netherlands, from their own (Sannies) strains- Jack and The One.  This is how Sannies described The One:

F1 Blueberry Sativa X Killa Queen/NYCD
    A beautiful plant which does not continue to grow long in flowering. I called her The One because she has such a beautiful shape.
    The selection found place in 2006 and we used the blue pheno to make jackberry and we used nr 46 (the one) to make Killing Fields.
    She is THE lady.she was from the beginning the nicest growing plant,with the typical blue smell in here.
    After some weeks off flowering the smell turned more pungent sour,during the latest stadia off flowering the plant has a nice kombi off both worlds.Something like grape-berry

Fast flower?  Doesn't sound like CC's The One.... interesting that blueberry is a part of the mix again, however.....