Since I don’t know much about growing (let alone organics), I was a bit reluctant to get a journal going. I'd told some of the growers here that I would do one when I started the grow though...so here goes.
Also, before I begin, I did another journal a while back on another grow. The problem with that journal was that I spent so much time trying to update it that I ended up focusing more on my journal than I did on my grow....so this time I will update as regularly as need be.
Okay, lets kick it!! This will be an ongoing journal (if things go right). We wont necessarily go right into focusing on veg/flower cycle. My plan is to get some clone mothers established first. Currently I have 8 babies that sprouted from seeds on Feb 16th so they are now two weeks old. My plan is to veg these 8 babies for a while then I'll take some cuts from each plant and sex them. I plan to pick the best two girls and put the other 6 outside. If I get some boys in the mix, they will also go outside with the unchosen girls and make me some seeds that I can use later. Right now all 8 plants are in party cups filled with a mix of light warrior and EWC that’s it...nothing else.
Special thanks to all the growers who shared their knowledge with me. I won’t go into names because I don’t want to piss anyone off if I forget a few folks. Whether your support was technical or moral...I appreciate it just the same!
My soil mix is also my very first. With advice from the experts here, I was able to put a good starter mix together. It took me a while to find the amendments that I have and I still want to find a few more but I guess what I have now will be considered a good foundation and I will build upon this later on down the road.
Here is my mix:
50% Alaska Peat
Happy Frog 5-5-5
Composted chicken manure (1.5-2.0-1.5)
I also will be using an ACT which will consist of:
high P Indonesian Bat Guano
My soil has been cooking for 5 weeks now (approx). It’s been kept damp and I have wet it down with my ACT mix twice that I made for my other garden veggies and flowers. I had some mold growing on the soil at one point but I have not seen any more since I turned it at week 3. Ive allowed the soil to dry out a little because I will be transplanting my babies here pretty soon.
My grow area is a very small DR60 tent which is 2x2x5 and I am using 316 true watts of CFLs. Im thinking about upgrading one day...but until then...
Okay few pics….here's the babies at two weeks old.
Edited by Dumdumdummy, 31 March 2012 - 06:07 AM.