What is a stemless bong and whats the perks of it

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by heratis, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Dumb questions I know, but is a stemless bong just one without a down stem and rather a stationary mount for a bowl? Any pros and cons?

2. Depends
    A popular stemless range is the Black Lead Nautilus, they're quite kool, the smoke comes straight into an inline 12 slit precooler, so you don't really need a precooler as an addon or anything, and they have ice notches if you're a filter finatic
    You have to bear in mind as well that you have to clean it, and also the glass of the inline is probably not that thick, so one good knock/drop could snap the inline, rendering it useless

3. GlassCity - The Bubblicious Bong - 7mm - Bongs and Waterpipes - Smoking Pipes - Grasscity.com

This has a downstem, which makes it a traditional bong. Stems are something you can insert into and remove from a bong.

This is a stemless bong.

GlassCity - Stemless 7mm Glass Ice Bong - Triple Perc - SNOB Glass/GlassCity Collab - Bongs and Waterpipes - Smoking Pipes - Grasscity.com

Theres nothing to insert or remove.

What makes it stemless is that the bowl is directly connected to the perc.

The pro's and con's are not important really. They its just a preference of the style you like.

Some people stay stemless has better airflow, but the difference in negligible.

If your break the stem of a "stemless bong" your fucked because its going to be expensive to fix.

If you break the downstem of a regular bong, you can just buy a new one, and while the tube remains perfectly fine.

4. It has no 'percs'.
    :laughing:

Some do, but I'm not so lucky.

5. It's looks.

A $10,000 bong will not get you higher than a $5 bong.

If health issues are a thing, it might be cutting down on tars, but haven't seen any research.

6. well a $10,000 bong might allow you to take a larger hit due to the percs or ice or diffusion, therefore getting a higher per bowl lol

it'll probably be more enjoyable to use than a $5 bong as well lol

:smoke:

7. #8 ignila, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
    It doesn't really affect drag at all as that is more the design of the downstem and/or the perc's. You can have a draggy bong stemless or not depending on how its made.

The main difference is how the perc's work. Most downstem joints enter the tube at 45 degrees, which causes most downstem designs to fire only from the top slits. Stemless designs allow for the perc's to function in a straight up and down manner, which usually allows the perc to function better.

Watch a youtube video of a SG gridded stemline and of a SG gridded downstem firing and you will see the difference. Exact same pattern of the holes, but the stemline fires straight up/down and more evenly than the downstem which tends to only fire out of the first couple rows. The result is more efficient diffusion, however there are always exceptions to this line of thinking depending on the design of a tube.

8. Don't listen to this guy. A glass blower will charge you about $50 (give or take) to fix the stem on a stemless.

If you buy a downstem that's actually worth a shit, its going to cost you around the $50 range.

It's a personal preference, but tubes with a downstem are quite outdated when it comes to diffusion methods...

9. i have one with a downstem and one with a 90 degree angle and the 90 degree one helps collect all the ash and such while the beaker bottom downstem gets covered with minor use, with the ash collecting in the water and getting the beaker dirty

10. #11 BadKittySmiles, Mar 31, 2012
    I have an 16" stemless 'quadripartite' (meaning that it leads the vape/smoke to a connected 4-armed diffuser, with slits on each end, before entering the main chamber)... it's my favorite piece at the moment. :)

Just check out GC's shop & google, there are tons of good deals on both kinds, downstemmed and stemless. :)

Edit - A sort of crappy test/trial-video of it in-use, about half-way through, around 0:45... no it's not really chamomile, *someone* was paranoid and thought it would be safer (lol) to have that on the side... :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIBUFdr8vJU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIBUFdr8vJU[/ame]

11. Smh... PLEASE don' buy china class :(

12. #13 BadKittySmiles, Mar 31, 2012
    All gifts from patients, I haven't paid for a bong in almost a decade. :)

And please don't judge people for buying china glass if that's what they choose and can afford.

There's no reason for it, and it just makes a person look like a ridiculous follower, and a bit under-age to boot.

Have you ever shopped at your local grocery store, at a target, or a Wal-Mart, do you know where most of your clothes are made, and much of your food is produced? It's silly to judge nameless china glass simply because it's all 'leet and cool' to own something with an expensive name brand... I've used them all, most patients with $5 left at the end of the month don't know the difference. :p

And which brings me to my last point, if you actually took the time to read the comments for those videos before being rude, you'd have noticed that the videos are for the sole purpose of giving rural patients who are on a fixed income an alternative to their unhealthy joints and blunt wraps.

edit - 'SMH'.. :rolleyes:

:wave:

13. A quality glass tube can bu purchased for $70, so don't use price as an excuse to back up your ignorant views

I highly doubt you have ever smoked out of quality glass.. And your "patients" are the only people I have ever heard of that say china glass is on par with quality glass lolol

There is a difference between china glass and quality glass. Quality glass functions much better (much less drag, more diffusion, and no splashback) However if you compare a piece of cheese made in china, and a piece of cheese made in America, they each meet the exact same standards. However this is not the case when it comes to the glass world. China glass does not come close to meeting the standards that quality glass does. You're not paying for the brand name, you're paying for a tube that actually functions correctly. Idk about you, but if I buy a tube, I want it to function correctly. So don't call me a follower for having tubes that fubction correctly.

14. #15 BadKittySmiles, Mar 31, 2012

Again, you're taking the subject out of context and acting like a juvenile. :cry: "China china china." Broken record. :rolleyes:

You do realize how much food the US has to turn down because it's laced with plastic, right? And that most of it comes from China? I suppose glass that you don't actually own, is all you're an 'expert' in. ;)

Again, I'm discussing patients, in RURAL AREAS... maybe the bold capitalization will help you overcome the possible illiteracy you're displaying here?

How would you like it if medical patients told you your weed wasn't even close to being 'real' or quality, because you buy it off the streets and from home-growers. Get all the expensive glass you want, what you put in it matters too. :laughing:

When you grow up, and learn how to have a mature, non-judgmental, respectful conversation, adults in the community will be willing to speak with you as-such.

Until then, keep blowing that smoke right up where the sun doesn't shine. :wave:

15. If my actions are considered "juvenile" for only supporting quality glass, then so be it.

Your statement about plastic being found in China food only goes to support the fact that for the most part China does not produce quality items. I'm not proclaiming to be an expert in anything..

I have good weed and good glass, so there's nothing to worry about.

16. If someone wants a percolated bong and can't afford to spend very much money, there is nothing wrong with getting "china" glass if that's what they want to do.

You prefer higher quality glass, good for you. It may surprise you to find out that not everyone is the same as you. :smoking:

17. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I understand that. Those who support low quality glass have more than likely not experienced a quality hit from a quality bong IMO. Even if you want a bong with a perc, you can get a quality tube along with ashcatcher for $120 from SSFG. IMO people who buy low quality glass most likely didn't research their purchase in-depth.

18. [quote name='"Rokintreasr"']

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I understand that. Those who support low quality glass have more than likely not experienced a quality hit from a quality bong IMO. Even if you want a bong with a perc, you can get a quality tube along with ashcatcher for $120 from SSFG. IMO people who buy low quality glass most likely didn't research their purchase in-depth.[/quote]

I had a long explanation typed out but you beat me to it lol

19. I don't think it has anything to do with not ever having tried a quality bong. I've tried high quality glass bongs, but when it comes time to buy a piece for myself, I simply don't have the money for most high quality items.

A quality tube with an ash catcher is great if that's what you're looking for, but if someone really wants a tree perc (for instance) and can only afford 'china' glass, then I say they should do whatever makes them happy. :p