Pokesmot247's Homemade Wood Pipe Thread

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by rain dancer, Mar 28, 2012.

1. #1 rain dancer, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    Hello everyone!
    I just bought some property and there's a couple nice trees that are non toxic and I thought would be excellent for pipe making. I've never made wooden pipes before, but always wanted to, so I figured I'd give it a try. These are my results. First pipes I made first, so that it's all in chronological order. I'll keep this "blog/thread" updated as I create new pipes. :hello:

Peace.:wave:

2. [​IMG]
    By pokesmot247 at 2012-03-28

So this isn't really a pipe, it's just a stem to one that came off of a tree at my old house. I cut off a branch and wanted to see if I could drill a hole and make it work for this other piece I had. I was successful and was able to add it to this other "custom" pipe I was working on.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it attached nicely and since I had already put a custom glass bowl inside the tobacco pipe, it made it unique. Hits great. Ironically, the mouth piece/stem is the only surviving part of that tree, as a storm blew it onto my car.....but that's another story, for another section of the forum.:p

3. So this is the first pipe I made. I broke the branch off of a black walnut tree that sits in my front yard and decided to put the ugly thing to use.I used a saw-zaw to cut the branch to the size pipe I wanted. I used a drill bit from my black and decker set and just grabbed a random bit to put a hole through it. I drilled one side at a time until the holes met in the middle. Then I drilled a top hole for the bowl. The wood was wet when I was working with it and still very alive and I didn't think it would split, but it did....

[​IMG]

I "corked" the front with some more black walnut wood I shaved to the right size. The outside of the wood was hand carved. I sanded it by hand, then borrowed a friends sander as sanding by hand sux. I ended up using tar from pipes and bongs from various people (yeah, I drove around town collecting tar from whoever would donate it....lmao) and mixed that tar with honey and wood dust, plus ashes from cigs/bud and it sealed up nice. I put some honey in the bowl and let it set overnight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I custom made the bowl to look like an Indian bowl from some native american pipe I saw years ago. Bowls are one of my favorite parts of smoking so it had to be pretty cool imo. I was disappointed by the crack, but it was a gift to someone else, so I decided why trip when I can make more? Life goes on....btw, it hits ridiculously and people love the hell out of this pipe.

4. So this is the second piece I made.

[​IMG]

Notice how I sealed the bowl in this time with pieces of wood, rather than using that messy concoction tar mix crap I made? Yeah, learning!

[​IMG]

Then you see the other side and that I'm still working with wet wood and you're like.....I thought you were learning? Nope, apparently not.

[​IMG]

But like that 80's movie the fly....I'm....getting....better! :)

Notice how I sealed the front with wood as well, then sanded it down to be airtight. No leaks at all! Took this piece into the local smoke shop before it cracked and they offered me money for it. Told me if I could bring a few in they'd display them for me. Now I have a reason to learn from my mistakes! :)

5. I made this next pipe the same day as the one before. Made it smaller and made the mouth piece less round and more comfortable to use. This one is for sale, but I have yet to stain it, so it's not really done yet. None of them are as far as I'm concerned until the final stain.

[​IMG]

Also, I didn't crack this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. This next piece of wood was going to be firewood. Also made out of black walnut, it was just a bunch of elbows in a nasty clump of wood. I ended up carving the hell out of it by hand to get it to what it looks like. Many an angry feeling went into the carving of this pipe.

[​IMG]

Experiencing a loss a few weeks ago, I ended up doing two things for a few days: staying preoccupied with hobbies and smoking more weed and hash than human beings should.

[​IMG]

Deciding to keep this one for myself, I added my initial where ears would be.
    I carved a face and a mouth and set notches where a chin would be so that it sits flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a mouth piece that has some class imo. Looks pretty cool I think. Reminds me of the mouth piece on my lw 15 arm bub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still sealing the bowl in with only wood, now I just need to get the staining process down. Been researching all day.
    [​IMG]

Used a dremel for this one, no drill but used but in the initial drilling of the hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill keep you all updated:wave:

Peace:smoke:

7. nice pipes man, i wish i had the patience to do such a thing.

8. Thanks a lot bro! I pretty much carve pipes when im smoking and alone. I end up needing something to do because i smoke sativas mostly and they give a lot of energy.

I thought it would be harder than it is but its really pretty easy. If you dont have much time, work on it ten minutes everyday. Thats the way i stay in shape haha. Peace.

9. subbed/ i like where this is going

10. #10 rain dancer, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
    Nice! Glad you like it. I hope to get into welding glass someday, but figured I'd start with wood as nobody appreciates it as much anymore. We'll see what happens. I hope to make more and more complicated pieces.

Here's a mini spoon I made for my wife....:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Didn't sand it yet, but thought it was still pretty cool. Yeah, it would hit too. Not smooth, probably like a roach. Should probably call it a wood roach lmao.

11. It seems like the bowls are really narrow and tall, also do you have any sort of carb system on those? But props man, i've never thought about making a handmade wood pipe before. I probably think i "wood" mess up to bad and not have any patience, ha but if i ever make one which i kinda feel like doing, I will post it here.

12. you should make a business :D

13. Yeah I made the top of the bowls purposely fat and the bottom a narrow hole, then the side of the bowl has a narrow hole that feeds into the stem, that way when you pack the top fat, you have little chance of ash getting through. Ive been using a couple pipes like this for years and no carb is necessary. They hit well imo and everyone who tries one wants one. Also, these bowl are fatter than any glass bowl I've hit. You can easily smoke out 3-4 people on the larger pipes/bowls.

Talked to the owners of the cig store recently to confirm the worker put in a good word for me and he said just bring some in when I'm ready and hell only keep a few dollars from the sale to display in his store. :)

14. Ur pipes are awesome. I especially like the angry face pipe it looks like it has a personality hahah. I just made this tonight. The bowl is a little small but it fits a j perfectly so I can use it to finish roaches and as a one/two hitter.

Attached Files:

15. How do you shape them? Band saw?

16. Nice work guys.

All of my pipes are carved by hand. The only electric tools I use are a drill to drill the holes and once in a great while, but almost never, an electric sander for really nicked up wood. Since its all in pretty good shape most of the time, I usually hand sand. I find taking my time and watching it form to be very satisfying.

17. I thought this thread would be 30 pages by now with everyone complementing your pipes lol I love them. I'm thinking about starting to make some because I've been watching this glassblower on YouTube make piles then chief them lol keep it up and update often :D subbed

18. And when you post the pics you should tell how long it took to make them.

19. awesome. I make pipes too. I make chillums mostly. I'll have to get some pics posted up on my profile soon
    great job staying busy... being a productive smoker. very nice.

20. Pipe making is a art great to see you get better manSent from my GT-P5100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app