Home Made DWC in Stealth Closet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 9, 2006.

1. so im starting to gather all the components of a closet setup......but i have a few newbie questions.....so in a dwc setp will the plants roots be submerged at all times? and also will the pump be on at all times.......i was also wondering if the long airstones worked best or if the round stones are better if someone is making setups for each individual plant.....also i was wondering if its ok to get the five dolalr ph test kit from the store or should i spend a bunch of money on the digital ones online....and also is there a lesser cost alternative to the expenisive ppm meters.......and i was also wondering about light distances, scroging, and a basic run down on what all i need to get started :smoking: sorry if its a bit much but ive not had access to the internet for a while so i had a bunch of stuff that i need clarified....thanks

2. Don't hijack an old thread - make your own. Also, that's too many questions and too much information for someone to answer. You need to read this forum top to bottom for all those answers.

3. 1.yes the roots will be in the water at all times start at 2in till roots come out.
    2.yes the pump will be on at all times
    3.that i dont know but i do know that the blue ones fall apart after afew weeks.....i am told that the wood ones work the best but i cant find any.
    4.and for the $5 ph test kit....all i say is you get what you pay for
    5.same for pmm meters
    6.light depends on what kind of lights(cfl-3-5in more worry about heat...hps and mh i think its around 20in....dont hold me to that)

Oh ya next time try using the search button....dont worry it doesnt bite....hard

Toke on:smoking:, Tol

4. ok this is just for pride puroposes.....ive read many of these threads from top to bottom but due to the fact that i have, like many of the users in the city, an extremely bad memory and i dont have internet access all the time i had some questions that i needed definative answers on thats why i had to ask all these questions at once and also thanks for the answers

5. this thread clearly demonstrates what "optimal conditions" are for any grow. wish i could pull a yield like that. :smoking:

6. Again thanks for all the useful info! What is the purpose of the air being drawn into the light and not exhausting it out. Allow the light to be closer to plants? Thanks.

7. Hi bud!

Great looking setup! Have you thought about adding 6500K t5 HO bulbs?
    They add a bit of extra UV light, they are also very very cool. I'm using both ATM, I'll let you know how mine works out when I'm done.
    Great setup again!

Chronic

8. I am done adding light to this small grow. I'm always working on small improvements.

9. SUPERB- just one newbie ques, how high should the light be from the clones when they are first put in the bucket to veg? I read that it gets moved down 6" per day until it is about 18" from the tops.
    btw, its a 600W MH in a 4'w x 3'd x 6'h closet over 6 plants.
    thanks in advance and much rep.
    BRILLIANT GUIDE!!!

10. rumple - I have followed your grow designs and threads for about 3 months now re reading all the old and new posts. I have 13 plants going in soil right now, organic. This is my 5th attempt at growing but first attempt that has lasted past 2 weeks heh. I have a room that is 6' x 8' x 6'6", i have everything covered, ventilation (heating cooling), every crack is foamed or couked (however spelt), etc. Your designs with the buckets and your setup has inspired me to opp for this similar setup. I am going to have 2 80cfm inline 4 inch fans that are temperature controlled. My question for you is, have you ever used a ruber maid storage box for a bubble bucket? for clones or to grow. I have been trying to apply ur bubble bucket design to this rubber maid box to fit around 4-5 plants, the box is 4' x 2' x 2'. Have u ever done something like this?

11. incredible example of what the scientific approach can yeild. I wish I had the funds to replicate this. you should do some research into strains and start to make plans to develop your own strain. peace

12. If they are rooted clones then I would treat them as normal plants in veg.
    [​IMG]

13. You can make a bubble bucket out of anything that will hold water. I don't like to do the multi-plant in one unit thing. But I'm sure it would work just fine.

14. hehe have you ever used an exothermic burning rod?
    300+amps of DCSP to start an arc then 200+ psi of pure o2 to burn and blow the burning steel out of the kerf. its even more fun when we get to use it under water while diving but you get shocked a bit.... and you split water into its base elements oxygen and hydrogen and ofcourse its explosive so if you dont vent it properly it will collect and blow up causing you to die...

i started mygrow 9 days ago and my plants have grown about 6 inches taller than the clone i got from the clinic DWC rules!

15. rumple, whats your opinion on multi plant bucket systems? if i'm gonna do this i want some input from one with knowledge(you lol). i was originally going to do separate buckets but i figured it might be more efficient to do it with more than 1 plant.

i have 11 babies sitting in promix soilless mix. they love this shit. Do you know what big named retailers that carry fox farms products? if not i'm gonna have to order off line. I plan to do areoponics my next grow.

16. I like to keep each root system isolated. I can see the needs of each plant by measuring PH.

I know folks who do real good in multi plant systems. You will have to do what fits your situation.

17. what do you think of sectioning the plants, making their own cubicles in a bigger container with plexiglass or something like that.

18. Seems like a lot of trouble. I think you are going to do well no matter what style you choose.

19. true it does seem like a lot of trouble. but what i'm thinking of is the amount of room needed. i originally was going to opt for the individual buckets but then i found a huge rubber maid container and my mind started working lol. do you find areoponics easier than soil less hydroponics? or do you just do it do to the difference in bud potency if there is any.. thanks for the responses, it's really nice to have a conversation with someone with rep.

20. Thanks for the kind words. I'm still learning.

I started out growing 8 plants in my 2'x4' closet grow. I went to 4 plants, then 2. Now I get more then twice the yeild from 2 plants then I did from 8. Not only twice the yeild, I get quicker grow cycles, and very little scrap. One plant that gets all the light it can use will yeild more then four plants competing for resources. What I mean when I say "scrap", is bud that never gets to it's full potential. One plant at it's max potential will look like ten and grow in half the time.

This is a tuff lesson for a new grower. It took me a few years to realize and execute this strategy.

Two plants that took a total of 70 days to grow start to finish can be a challenge to hold:
    [​IMG]

That was March 11. I'm 30 days away from my next harvest. Two plants is less work and better results.