Home Made DWC in Stealth Closet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 9, 2006.

1. I have posted pictures of my closet on other forums, but a few of my bro's post/boast over here. So I will post a few of my small grow to get advice and share ideas with folks here as well.

This is my clone room and mother plant. I use four 20w florescent bulbs. I turn half off when not cloning.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1st day in main room. Everything is in place for new grow.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Turn on the light!
    [​IMG]

Looking for leaks. I use no glue, sealer, or metal parts.
    [​IMG]

400w Grow tube. It does not draw air from the room. The room is a closed system. The plants have a max height of 5'6". I have not had to raise the light to max height yet. I like to keep the plants at about 4'6".
    [​IMG]

The screen is to keep the plant stable and help train uniform growth.
    [​IMG]

I use two air pumps that feed three buckets. Each bucket has two airstones.
    [​IMG]

TDS and PH sensors screw into the side of bucket.
    [​IMG]

Co2 control with tank.
    [​IMG]

Top half of my controls. Co2 valves and thermostat.
    [​IMG]

One intake for the cooling of the light and the other in case the grow gets above 85*
    [​IMG]

Dampers on the grow intake and exhust to maintain high Co2 levels in the room.
    [​IMG]

A 6" blower on a thermostat to cool the room and a 4" blower that cools the light.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The light stays cool with a 4" blower that stays on. The air is piped into the light from the outside.
    [​IMG]

The noise from the air rushing into the closet was so loud, I had to build a muffler on the intake as well. It's kinda hard to get photos of how I did it, so I will have to draw a picture.
    [​IMG]

Have not got around to painting the outside yet.
    [​IMG]

8 days later, still in veg cycle.
    [​IMG]

15 days later I am in day 10 of flowering.
    [​IMG]

Its day 16 of flowering and we are at alittle over 5' tall.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is the 5th grow with this set-up. I had four plants last time. I'm only doing three this time. I did my harvest in two cycles, one at 45 days and another at 60 days. Here is a picture of the last two plants I harvested.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I put it all in glass jars when done.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I hope this grow comes out as well.
    Peace, R

2. Dame fine set up Rumpleforeskin;) , gives me some great ideas for my current build.Your 400w cool tube, how close can your plants get before getting damaged?

3. It has a dedicated 4" blower that runs the whole time the light is on. It never has a chance to heat up. Touching the tube would be fine, like I am doing in this picture. The glass stays cool. The light radiates warm rays buy not enough to burn or damage plants. I have the light right on the plants today.
    [​IMG]

4. thanks for the demo.This may be a stupid question but do you think that 2x 4" computer fans will do the job in getting air in and out enough to keep it cool:confused:

5. Holy fuck man.

6. It is possible. It depends on your set-up and location. If your grow draws air from inside your 70 degree home and you grow with low watt bulbs, it can be done.

I re-did my vents and blower set-up six times. I always underestimate how hot it gets in the summer here. I can't draw air from inside my home. If I don't cool my 400w bulb the room will get over a 120 degrees on a cool day.

My advice is "over-kill the hell out of your ventilation system". You can always add a dimmer switch;)
    Peace, R.

7. Awesome Setup very nice.

8. yeah, what he said..

Honestly, that is a very impressive, kinda puts to shame what I did in my closet.

9. holy shit.

how much did that setup cost you?

10. Damn i can tell this is a pro grow lol

11. good stuff best ive seen

12. Thanks for the kind words. I rebuilt this closet about 5 times. I love making stuff myself. I shop around for my junk to try and save money when I have to. I'm in my 40's and have a pretty good job, so I can afford to spend on my hobby. That does not mean I toss money out on every cool gadget. I built most my CO2 system (not the meter). I am in the process of moving the CO2 tanks from inside the grow to the attic. I have to run steel pipe the whole way.

The guys at the welding shop that I buy CO2 from asked "what are you using CO2 for?". I replied "SCUBA-diving, bucause CO2 is cheeper then compressed air". *Thats not the funny part*.............The funny part is they all agreed.
    True story. R

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ah, my dream setup!

14. Hey Rump...you should give coco a go...Will save you time and trouble..

Nice set up..What is the postman doing that you want to do?..I just had a quick look and he hasnt stopped playing in the dirt yet... ;) ..

15. I did soilless growing for years. I did not use coco, I used pete. I had great results with the soilless grows. After testing DWC, I switched. I got alot faster growth rates that yeilded more.

I read your thread that compared the two in the same grow. I did not have the same results with my setup. The un-obstructed root growth in liquid gave me twice the growth rate. The DWC plants had reached the flower height in ten days, when my soilless took well into three weeks. I understand results will vary depending on your setup and skill as a grower. I have all the stuff to do my grows in a media of coco or pete but it just does not work nearly as well as a good DWC setup in my case.

My results my have been different because of an enriched CO2 environment or the strain I choose to grow.

I know you will not be convinced I'm doing the right or most productive grow. You are totally sold on that coco stuff. Alot of DWC growers here don't feel the same way.

I feel DWC is the best method for indoor grows, but I'm not going into a coco grow thread and tell everyone they are doing it all wrong. I respect the difference in techniques and feel "its all good".

Have your read that whole thread by postman? Some real cool stuff.

Peace, R.

16. Thanksgiving day harvest was my last. I took a break from growing for re-tooling and cleaning:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. hey rumple i had a question for you reguarding postmans grow. What do you know of the UVB lights that he is using? how and when are they used?

18. I am in the same boat. I don't know a thing about them.