My $300 DIY growbox 26"x26"x4', 250w MH, 150w cfl

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Thicken Dense, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Thanks man.. no, I don't use them but I'd consider this one for the inside because it's compact, or I could hang a bigger one behind the box like you suggested. I've got 2 boxes that I'd like to filter but priorities have me using Ona in my living space instead :eek: My basement stinks but nobody goes down there anyway :smoke:

2. Really nice !

I am just here to steal good ideas so thanks a million dude ! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. great looking set up man, looks professional...sucks that you had ballast issues, but it all worked out :)

hahah...upgrayedd! ...I always wondered if yer user name was from that. That's got to be one of my top 3 favorite movies. I think public schools should make all kids watch the first 10 minutes or so...it's so true. :p

4. Looks like your getting a lot of free stuff because the ballast issue though :D

5. Yea, I feel like everything balanced out. The reflector alone is $40 but it's probably cheaper if you take it as an upgrade, which I highly recommend. I never realized how much of a difference a bigger reflector makes... so impressed I'm buying one in a week or two for my other light. :)

6. looks good , do you have a pre filter for incoming air ?

7. Wish I did, I didn't even consider it when building my box. I can see the dust accumulating on the mylar, would shorten the life of a carbon filter. Oh well, I'll know better for my next one. :smoke:

8. what if you made a box 26x26x2 using 2x4 , 2inch being the hight, so that the wheels can go back on easy being 4inch wide, and fill in the middle of the add on with some foam covered with a fine fabric, half an hours work and it is done, less dust and pests .
    middy

9. That's a good idea, that would actually go a long way towards helping me with my gnat problem. They keep infecting new soil :( I like to think of them getting sucked into my vent fan and ripped to shreds, makes me feel warm and fuzzy :p

10. have you sorted that gnat and dust problem yet ;)

11. ^just finished a 60 hr workweek and started my vaca :D

I've decided to cover the intakes on both my boxes with screen, won't keep the dust out but I can deal with that by wiping the walls down :p it's the gnats that are getting out of control. I tried mosquito dunks today, in addition to regular neem/pyretherin sprays and a no-pest strip in the far corner of my basement. My fly ribbons are black within a week :eek:

12. Hey just tosh this in DIY and all but has anyone here build and seen any different with a live yeast co2 generator and then if I would love to work on something "uber"

worked as a chef/baker for the last year and kept some excellent yeast grow for different kind of bread, always wanted to but some growing skills to yeast farming :D

maybe have it in a rectangle box wide 0,5 feet by 1,5 feet with about 1 deep 15x45,30 cm (sorry normally write in centemeters)

have a fish tank heater in the bottom

have more idea´s but to stoned to put in writing, gone try out google sketchup after shower, got a drawing with paper and pencil :D

heater, and a net tray that is submerse under the top of the yeast, tray that allows you the collect to top waste from the yeast with out disturbing the rest and has a large co2 production area because of length, then I just need to figure out a top to snuggles totally to that to hold in the c02 before it is "pumped" by pressure into a small water container and into a hose toward the plants

13. Okey sorry just smoked smoked some very nice skunk

got some more brilliant ideas !

what if the container for the yest is big enough so you can pressure rise the co2 inside the container, you just need to put a energy release with the same pressure the box can hold and I guess you just need to test that, build two boxes, blow one up !

then you could have a timer release on the system :D

14. I hope I can hold my tent free of that, indoor and gone but out side filters on the tents

good luck dude, I never had to use nothing more then lady bugs in the past

Sorry about the crazy diy co2 generator on your thread :D

15. lady bugs can be brought on-line or send the kids out with a jam jar

16. No problem man, all the research I've done leads me to the conclusion that DIY co2 is a complete waste of time. Also impossible to measure for the average grower who can't afford the proper equipment in the first place, so any claims of increased yield with soda bottles and yeast can be easily attributed to minor fluctuations in the growers environment, skill, materials, methods, or a billion other variables. Also need to run higher temps to utilize the co2, increase nutrient doses, everything is supposed to scale up according to the plant's increased metabolism, not just one thing like co2... good luck anyway, sometimes it's just fun building shit like that. Saw one guy use a showerhead to deliver the heavier-than-air co2 to his plant, I fucking loved it :D (circulation in my cab would defeat that purpose, but ingenious none the less)

Cheers!! :bongin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. for filtering the fan.. Cut a square piece of air filter and place between the White Square trim piece that came with the fans. You'll of course need to cut small holes in the filter for the tension arms of the fan trim. This should filter your intake. I'd cut a couple extras 12" pieces for easy change out of the filter.

18. I picked up some iron-on fleece from the fabric section at wallymart, says it can be ironed onto wood. Hope it holds... :bongin:
    [​IMG]

...did my best with weatherstripping and duct tape to seal off my cables, sealed the gaps in the wood with caulk.
    [​IMG]

....scrog rig
    [​IMG]

...scrog rig installed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got 15" between the screen and max height on my 250, should be a challenge with a 12-14 week sativa... all tips are welcome :D

...wish I had a runoff pan, thought it out good, won't be efficient considering time and materials. ...turkey baster will have to do for now

Thanks for the great ideas.... keep em coming!!!! :hello:

Attached Files:

19. looking better dude.
    are you leaving 3 plants under that scrog ? impo one sativa plant under that size scrog would be perfect.

i have 8 indicas under an 8x4 scrog, so thats 2' x 2' room for each plant and it's getting harder to keep them under control. (pics in new journal below).

middy

20. #40 Thicken Dense, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
    Thanks man, didn't think about all that dust blowing up under the canopy :eek:

I was going to start flower before they hit the screen and keep training it down, I understand that the longer you keep tucking the shoots down the lower your canopy will stay? I figure the stretch alone will fill out the screen and then some, any thoughts on this? I'm sure I'll have to do a lot of pruning either way :p

Your setup looks amazing!!! Beautiful plants too :)