Root Root: How to fix/prevent it

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Original Past, Mar 14, 2012.

1. sorry new to this my bad on the pics. anyway thats an idea of my garden and some leaf damage and u can see the pots i use in the background of one of those pics

2. Just so I am reading this right.. 

Pro Tip #3: Let your medium dry out between feedings. I can't state this enough. Regardless of your medium, let it dry out before watering/feeding again. This will expose the roots to oxygen it needs. Ideally, you should only water your medium enough that it will be dry within 24 hours. Coco coir may stay moist for longer, which is fine, but let it dry out between feedings. If you're using a flood/drain system with hydroton, you'll need to water every couple hours or so, but LET YOUR MEDIUM DRY OUT between feedings.

Does this mean during reservoir changes for a DWC Bubble system, you want me to let the roots that are wet dry out before placing them back in a fresh reservoir change?

3. I have a rather unique system and I need your help with fine tuning it..

it is a 6 feet high rain tower in a 10 gallon water reservoir .. water gets pumped up and rains on the 20 net pods sticking out of the tower with hydrotons as the medium but most of the roots just hang lose inside the tower out of the 3" net pods.

I have had this system for more than a year and improving on it slowly been dealing with root rots on and off 

Question 1) my water pump goes on 15 min and off 15min  and I think that should be part of the issue  so after reading this article I increased it to 15min on  and 30min off  do you guys think I can go further? I will see how the 30min off goes and push it further from there.. perhaps increase the off time at night to 45-60min intervals

Question 2)  I have 2 tetra whisper 10 air pumps blowing air in the reservoir but I think that is around 2W.. so considering 1-2W per gallon recommendation   I need 10-20W air pump the question is how much Litter per minute does that equal to?  am I going to end up with a commercial loud air pump in my living room?  any recommendation for air pump to use?

I am going with the ceramic 4cm air diffuser stones  hoping they have a smaller bubble size..

Question 3) did you guys notice a huge PH change with that much air flow? how is that managed?

Thank you  

4. My clones have good white root coming out of my cloning system. But when I put them in my pots (dwc) they might last for a few days and then wilt and die the root don't have a chance to come through the net pot before they wilt and die is that root rot.

5. In soil grows it is best to flush 2-3 times the volume of your media with water to pull fresh air into the root zone , ( 2 gal pot = 6 gal water) then let drain preferable on a 45 degree angle until water stops , then stand upright , them add the nute/water mix .