first grow, need some feedback on my setup

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by imlouiedawg, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Hey guys, pretty new here. (not just to growing, but the forum as well)

I plan on starting my first grow soon and I was looking for some input on my setup and anything else you more experienced growers think I should add to the list.

-Advanced Nutrients Nirvana
    -GrowBright Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer+Hygrometer
    -8 outlet surge protector w/ built in timer
    -Seed Starter Kit (local hydro store)
    -Bubble Boy Single Shot DWC (local hydro store) 5 gallon + pH test kit
    -HPS 400 watt 55,000 lumens
    -Hydroton Growing Medium
    -Mylar for the tent or box

Anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Total comes out to about $200

2. What are you vegging under?

3. I was thinking of just using the HPS Bulb. I read that they were good for all stages of growth

4. They are, but using a light more in the blue spectrum will give you better results. The blue spectrum gives you bushier plants from what I've read. Plus, most people around here are vegging with metal halides with excellent results.

If you had the cash, I think it'd be a wise investment.

5. Yo! U need hps lighting if you want some decent shit also u defenetly need a fan shit gets hot in there.

6. Just remember the more corners you cut the more problems you will create for yourself. I spent months on here and other sites reading journals and seeing what problems arise from cutting corners. I took the time saved up and dropped about 1500 on my first grow

My set up
    Gl145
    Magnum XXXL 6"
    Lumatek 600w Ballast / High PAR bulb
    2 Sunleaves Windtunnles
    Icebox 6"
    Active Aqua water chiller 1/10hp
    CoCo medium
    H3AD method (coco's version of Lucas formula"
    Phresh Filter 4X12

7. From your list it seems you forgot ventilation and filtration (if stealth is a concern), also you will need some ph up and down. I haven't used the Advanced Nutrients Nirvana but so far I have decent results with the 2 part lucas/h3ad formula with GH Micro and Bloom.