Lots of LED - Laughing Buddha, Super Lemon Haze, Vanilla Kush, Raw Diesel.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ChinaRider, Feb 28, 2012.

1. #1 ChinaRider, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
    I'm back for another round and I figured I'd start another journal. This is a legal medical grow in the state of Arizona.

I was pretty pleased with the harvest of my last grow so I decided to replace the 240 watt Blackstar with a 500 watt to give me a total of 1000 watts of Blackstar LED.

I started two Critical+ Autos around 3 weeks ago so I would have a quick harvest to hold me over if I need it. Around 4 days ago my Super Lemon Haze and Raw Diesel sprouted. Either this weekend or next I am going to start vegging a Vanilla Kush and a Laughing Buddha in a veg area I'm in the process of setting up. I'll be moving them over as soon as the main tent goes 12/12.

Here we go.....

Strains:
    Laughing Buddha - Barneys Farm
    Super Lemon Haze - The Greenhouse
    Raw Diesel - G13 Labs
    Vanilla Kush - Barneys Farm
    Critical+ Auto - Dinafem

Lights:
    2X500W Blackstar LED

Soil/Nutes:
    Summer Winds Organic Potting Soil (made by a local nursery), Techanaflora Recipe For Success, Air Pots

Misc:
    4'X4' Lighthouse Tent, Carbon filter

2012-02-27 Day 4 (from breaking ground)
    The two Critical+ are around 3 weeks old and both just showed sex in the last day or so. Each plant is a distinctly different phenotype. One has skinner leaves and a very sweet smell. The other has fat indica type leaves and is smells pretty skunky. The indica phenotype has grown strange and not symetrical. After the second set of leaves the main stem split into a 'v' on it's own.

Both the Super Lemon Haze and Raw Diesel are at day 4 from breaking ground.

Attached Files:

2. Subbed! Are you white balancing the LED to get the last few pictures? I'm just wondering why it's so black.

3. Enjoyed your last grow, I'm subbed! :)

4. Thanks for stopping by.... I did let my camera auto white balance on most of the pictures to help negate the LED colors.

5. #5 ChinaRider, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
    2012-02-27 Day 6 (23 for Critical+)

Well... Had the first mishap of the grow today. I adopted a dog a week ago and I made the mistake of watering the plants in front of him. Next thing I know Cheeba munched on the Raw Diesel. Oh well... That was the one I was least excited about anyway... I've now started germing a Laughing Buddha seed.

Watered the two Critical+ with 50% technaflora flowering nutes. Also used 1/4 B.C. Grow to promote continued veg growth. There are some nice bud site forming on both of the plants.

Watered SLH with plain RO water.

Put a laughing Buddha seed in a shot glass with RO water and covered with a coffee cup.

Attached Files:

6. 2012-03-08

The critical+ are at day 33 and coming along nicely. I think they had a bit of a copper deficiency due to PH being too high. The lower leaves were yellowing and drying up. I flushed and trimmed off the yellowing leaves. It seems to have stopped now.

SLH is growing a bit strange and twisted. Looks like I need to keep an eye on her.

I set up my new veg/clone tent with my 240watt blackstar veg model. I also have a t5 but I don't think I'll need it.

Laughing Buddha failed to sprout. I'm going on a roadtrip mid July. Since LB takes a long time to flower I decided to go with another strain. I decided to try Dinafem Blue Widow. It flowers in 50-60 days and the white widow was easy to grow last time. The girlfriend wanted me to start a plant for her to move outside in a month or so. I let her go through my seeds and she chose a pineapple express freebee I got a while ago. Both are germing in the tent.

Attached Files:

7. Just a tip...I grow with airpots as well. Throughly water it..water and some soil will exit the holes but eventually it stops and its not much. The roots will like you for it.

8. Also your not really pulling 1000w of LED but Blackstar makes a good product. I have there 240w Blackstar i use in my smaller tent. Your pulling about 600 watts total.

9. Yep.... If I remember correctly my kilowatt showed that my 500w blackstar pulled somewhere around 360w. It's all in the labeling. For the most part all LEDS are that way. 5w on your light interests me... I can't imagine the penetration.... Mine seems great at 3w.

10. This is true. They cant run LEDs at max they can near it but at Max lowers the lifespan a fair amount. You should do fine with your Blackstars..there good lights before I stumbled upon my lights half off deal if you sign up for there growers program I was going to do what your doing or one 900w Blackstar. I have been impressed with the 240w Blackstar that I have so dived in.

The light penetration of 5w is just about perfect I think...can be obtained with other lower wattage LEDs if they use len's for various beam angles which they do. Mine doesnt have any its 120 degree angles. The owner in a interview said 5 watt LEDs was over kill doing that. 3 watt LEDs they tend to have 60 and 90 degree to make up for that which they do very well.

Heres a good review of it.

500W Lighthouse Hydro Blackstar Review | LED Grow Lights Review

11. You notice a real difference with those aerated pots? Haven't brought myself to use them cause they're so spikey and hard to move around :x

12. Watered both the Critical+ yesterday with 50% nutes. Watered SLH today with 30% veg nutes. Looks like the flush is working. The SLH has stopped twisting and the Critical+ are not getting any worse. Decided to LST the super lemon haze.

Pineapple express has sprouted and blue widow has germed and been put in soil.

Attached Files:

13. always get excited seeing the little buds when they are small. just knowing they will be getting bigger very fast =)

14. I wouldnt be caught dead using a regular pot. What are you talking about hard to move around? There like any other pot. You get perfect airation of the plant and outstanding root development. Its also I believe virtually impossible to overwater a Airpot. Well you could if you kept it submerged. I havested two plants in small 1 gallon airpots. 1 was 27 x 24 inches wide other was 24 x 21 inches wide. Not the biggest but Ive never grown a plant that big in a regular 1 gallon pot.

15. subbed

Just picked up a 240W blackstar...looking forward to seeing what it can do in comparison to my 250W HPS...had to do something about heat issues, and the LED seemed like the answer

$300 well spent?

16. Love watching other LED grows! Can't wait to see how yours goes!

17. I'm getting either te 240 watt black star or the 500watt black star not sure but looking forward to your grow

18. Thanks for checking in.... Had to change strains for shorter flowering ones due to a road trip in July. I'm going to start a different thread with the proper title. Going to cali for the weekend so will be after that. New strains are Blue Widow, Super Lemon Haze, Pineapple Express, and Critical+ Auto.

What size is your grow area? How many plants? I've never grown with the straight 240 but if you can afford it my vote would be the 500. I'm growing medical and am a caregiver for 2. My first 500 paid for itself in the first grow.

Funny thing... went to the hydro store last weekend for more Technaflora nutes. Ended up talking LEDs with them. They like them and were pushing Kesel setups until I mentioned I had blackstars. Even though they dont sell them they said they offer the most bang for the buck.

EDIT: Will post a link here with the new thread.

19. hey i got a grow room size of .9m width, .5m depth and 2m height
    if im getting the 240 im only growing 2 but if i get the 500 im gonna be growing 4

20. Pulling up a chair...