Northern Lights x Big Bud auto LST Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by beerow, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Day 3 above soil for me. All my seedlings seem to be growing slowly (although at first I had a heat issue, before the nl x bb auto was planted.

[​IMG]

2. I am very happy with the growth rate of my nl bb auto, I wouldn't say that mine has sped up growing during flowering but it is going at the same speed as ever (which for mine is quite fast). Hope your girls pick up.

Happy growing

3. Wuddup guys, sorry I haven't been updating. My computer monitor is all fucked up, but I'm getting a new one tonight so ill post updates. This is from my phone.

4. #44 biff11, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    beerow;

Nice light and nice closet setup. Looks like your off to a good start. One thing to think about.... that 150w is way too much for young plants. Since you want to control plant height, its going to be tough to balance the light distance so you don't get stretch and don't burn the young plants. A nice alternative for the first few weeks of veg would be to use T5s or CFLs. You can get them closer, more even coverage, and use bulbs close to the spectrum you need (par in the blue range, not the red range as MH bulbs have).

5. #45 mizzmaryj, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    @Biff: you speak the truth for sure. I'm doing my first T5 grow for stealth/heat reasons and am doing the NL X BB NON-auto strain. This is the first grow I've ever had where there was virtually no stretch! I mean I've grown some that was somewhat bushy, but this looks almost flush with the soil at the bottom leaves. Blowing my mind! I didn't know whether or not it was the T5s or the strain itself. I'm now inclined to think it is the lights! Here's a peek at her today at 19 days old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the big-arsed pics BeeRow! Not trying to rain on your parade man. It's your world! I'll work on figuring out how to get the pics smaller here!

BTW, I'm with you guys, this strain does seem a little small/slow growing. Some strains do start off like that and then take off like crazy. Maybe this is one of those whether auto or not!!

6. Yah man! Checked out your girl at day 28 and DAYUM, she IS growing fast! I can only hope mine has a growth spurt and looks like that in another week! Good looking lady Sirpsycho!

7. Nice start! I'd have to guess its your light placement. I'm sure someone can chime in with a technical explanation, but the T5 and CFLs let you get closer to the young plants, promoting shorter node intervals. Getting that close with HPS/MH isn't possible. Seems like everyone who starts with HIDs ends up with "leggy" monsters thru the veg cycle.

8. Well bee like i said before , im not a hydro grower

i gave it a shot but stunted her pretty bad and yellowed her up some also

so i decided to put her back in soil

did not take pics because she has not grown since the last pic lol

but she should recover now

9. Well, I got a new monitor and it's working great so I can start posting on here again.

And I know I'd get better results with a T5 or some CFL's. I have 4 23w watt 3500k cfl's, but I don't think 3500k would do me any good in veg.

And @Brolly, sorry to hear about the hydro not working out for you man. I guess it's not for everyone. :(

Day 7 Vegetation

[​IMG]

She's pretty small for a week old, and I'm not sure what's going on. I've been watering about like 100ml every other day, sometimes everyday and I gotta stop doing that but I just get impatient. :p
    The 3rd set of leaves should be visible by tomorrow morning though, you can't see them too well in the pic. My camera has shitty focusing.

10. [quote name='"Brolly"']Well bee like i said before , im not a hydro grower

i gave it a shot but stunted her pretty bad and yellowed her up some also

so i decided to put her back in soil

did not take pics because she has not grown since the last pic lol

but she should recover now[/quote]

wow! be careful with that. ur producing most the stress urself u should have left it be

11. Well y'all, I am beginning to think my girl is an autoflowering strain after all. She is 3 weeks old today and when I walked into the grow room this a.m. it was funky and I had to kick on my carbon system to clear the closet and entire room of the smell! Typically I've noticed that only my autoflowering strains tend to smell this early during veg. All of the non-autoflowering strains that I've grown did not start smelling until I threw them into 12/12, and then it took about a week of the new light cycle to even have a hint of the smell. So ... maybe we ARE all growing this auto together.

Anyway, Beerow, glad to see you are back! Your girl will pick up. I think this is just a slow-starting strain 'cause mine looked small to me at a week old, and even at 3 weeks does not look as big as some other strains I've grown. Give her a little break from the watering though. Let her roots literally search for water a bit. You can go a few days without watering and she'll do fine.

12. I'll take your advice. I also noticed that on the nights I don't water, she has seemed to grow more overnight. :cool:

Day 8 Vegetation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too much of a change, but she's picking up the pace. And like I said I'm still a noob at growing, so can someone tell me what those bottom leaves are? They haven't grown much at all, and I was just wondering what's going on with them.

Oh and I also got a fan!

[​IMG]

Temps have been around 74-84 lights on. (Hotter today because it's like 60 degrees outside, but on colder days they go down to the 70's.)

13. [quote name='"beerow"']

I'll take your advice. I also noticed that on the nights I don't water, she has seemed to grow more overnight. :cool:

Day 8 Vegetation

Not too much of a change, but she's picking up the pace. And like I said I'm still a noob at growing, so can someone tell me what those bottom leaves are? They haven't grown much at all, and I was just wondering what's going on with them.

Oh and I also got a fan!

Temps have been around 74-84 lights on. (Hotter today because it's like 60 degrees outside, but on colder days they go down to the 70's.)[/quote]

How long did it take your seed to germinate

14. I have one that i started germing 6:36pm yesterday of this same strain

15. About 2 and a half days, in a tupperware container with damp paper towels in my dress.

16. nice grow mate im curreently doing a full CFL grow of a strain called catpiss not the best smell but supposed to be an awesome plant, currently in flowering :D

anyway i ordered off the tude and got a NL x BB auto and gonna start after i harvest my current plant. i have read with autos that after the 3rd sets of leaves are in start with quarter strength nutes. and every week increase dose a little.

those little round leaves at the bottom of the plant are what supply the nutes to the plant in the first stage of growth in a week or two you should see they will yellow and dry up. not to worry :)

looking forward to your grow and gonna mooch off all your stuff to see how its goes :p

but best advice once 3rd set of leaves are starting to properly form go with low strength veg nutes and when the flowering starts swich to flower nutes. after the first couple of weeks the plant really grows massive :)

good luck

17. Thanks a lot bro, I was wondering when I should start applying nutes. :hello:

18. Looking good Beerow! You are coming along nicely and building up your supply arsenal as you go without harming the plant at all, right? LOL! I know we would all like to start with major equipment, but when we don't overthink this s**t too much and go back to basics, all she really needs is air, water, light and TLC. You are giving her that and will increase in those areas as you can. I think you are going to do well for a first grow. She's looking just fine from what I can see! I wish I knew how to resize these darn pictures. My girl turned 3 weeks old yesterday and, even though she is not getting TALL, she is spreading wide! Tee Hee Hee. You can check out her recent pics. here

Happy growing bro! I'll be checking in on you. I'm excited to see how we both fare with this strain!

19. BTW Beerow, your temps sound good. I know that 75F is considered perfect conditions for the grow space, but I have ALWAYS had heat issues and temps that stayed about 84. One hot days I've had temps of up to 94 where I had to turn on the air conditioner to mellow things out. Here's what I learned from that though: as long as I did not do anything to stress my girl too badly (ie. overwater, over fertilize), she gave me nice buds, yield and frosty nugs! Again, we are back to the TLC. These girls are resilient and do well even when conditions aren't "perfect" ya know? In fact, I relaxed about my temps getting a little high after I read this:

TEMPERATURE Weed (Cannabis) Growing Guide:

Enjoy!

20. Yeah growing does seem so technical and everything, but it's actually pretty easy to understand and get ahold of! And better wide than tall, good luck. :D

That guide shall help. It's good to know that you got by with 84, because that's around my max temp. Very useful stuff I'm hearing from you and everyone, thank you! :smoke: