Ti Vs Glass Nail

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by trixman22, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Am i heating my shit up for too long aswell?

quartz nail

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sLEl2560Ac]DSC 0622 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Dude nice rig, is it one of a kind?

3. It's a Zach P sandblasted rig from his sketch series. He has quite a bit of rigs with different sketches on them. I got it at my LHS. Im not too sure how many of the same one he has made though.

Here is a dope one from him.

[​IMG]

4. QUARTZ! Fuck metal, kthnkx

P.S- that Zack P piece is NOT sandblasted, its chemical etched and then baked on decals. I hate his production work; true glass artists will know it's shit. Though his artistic pieces are a whole different story.

5. Lol your crazy. This piece hits amazing and his sketch art is fucking hilarious. If you hate his style that's fine but its still true glass art. Selling Candy getting money! love zach P.

6. Like I said... I hate his production work; bake on decals are a cheap fast way to decorate glass, so is etching. He does some great sculpture work and has some interesting color combinations in his heady pieces, but I'm not on his nuts liking everything he makes; also I didn't say it wouldn't hit good.

7. I don't have enough solid evidence about how Zach P's stuff is made, but I'm more than willing to bet that those pieces were sandblasted before putting the decals. I don't know of any etching solution thats made for boro

8. I'm a god damn glass blower... I also have both tools to do the job, so I think I know the difference. It wasn't a guess.

9. Your a beginner to glass blowing lol. I seen your glass blowing thread man. It's all good though im happy with this dope Zach p :)

10. Also how do you know its not sandblasted and etched? Have you talked to Zach Puchowitz personally about this or can you just look at a piece and say thats etching or sandblasting? How can you just tell from a video or picture? Just curious :)

11. Sand blasting with silica leaves a deep slightly uneven etch; as where a chemical etch will eat the EXACT same amount of glass over any surface area in which it is applied. Also, people like Zack P don't have the time to sit there and hand blast each piece; though that isn't proof. Also, you can tell by how coarse the etching is. Chemicals leave a perfectly even surface compared to sandblasting.

It's a common misconception really... you can even google "sandblasted pipes" and it will show pictures of pipes that have been chemically etched. It's nothing more than a general ignorance on the subject.

As for me being a "beginner"; sure, for Boro work, but I've been researching glass for years and worked with soft glass for a long time too; besides the coefficient of expansion being different, the glass is pretty much the same.

I'm not trying to come in here and be a know-it-all; but rather to help educate our current generation. I used to post on WTM since 2004 but they are gone now; so don't judge my intelligence by post count. I try to back all my statements with fact, I hate guessing, and I hate it when people give advice based off of a guess.

12. I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but what the hell are you using to etch boro? Hydrofluoric acid?

And I'm a god damned glassblower too :D

13. Ok so after looking at what I've etched and doing a little homework; here's what I've come up with. You can use Etch-All on colored boro; but almost no acid or cream will work on clear! That DOES require sandblasting, or tumbling. Considering the perfected evenness of Zack P's work, and the fact that it is clear... he tumbles his glass for the etching. I have never tried to etch clear boro; so that's why I didn't know why people kept saying it won't work. lol

14. TI nail for sure...all my glass nails crack :( even 3 days after I brought home a new Sheldon black rig the glass nail it came with broke...Gonna go domeless though.

15. If your nails crack so easily; they probably weren't kiln annealed. I make glass nails and I have only had one break, and it was an experimental design with color. Also, when you initially heat up a glass nail, you need to make sure you lightly burn off all the condensation before blasting it with heat. You could give quartz a try also, even if you invest in a domeless setup too.

16. Turns out it actually is sandblasted. I asked Zach p on Facebook.

Knew it :p

17. Finer grain silica? I can't get that perfect surface when I blast

18. I'm sure it was because I rushed the heat on the nail. Ill attempt to be more patient hehe...I've heard of a quartz nail I just haven't had the time to do some research

19. havnt notice diff between glass and TI but there is one with metal :/, metal sucks, glass is not durable... TI FTW

20. Love my someless