LED vs HPS

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Vincent Vega 7, Feb 20, 2012.

You can go to any of the local dispensaries around here and ask if any of the high quality product they sell is grown with LEDs. They will all tell you that commercial growers don't play with toys. Commercial growers want lots of high quality bud grown at the cheapest and fastest way possible. I mirror the same goals as most commercial growers even in my small grow closet. 

You have to honestly ask yourself this:
    Why don't the guys with all the money and hundreds of plants in the grow room believe what the LED sales guys are saying? Are they all that dumb?
    Do LEDs produce higher quality yield?, If so, all the Cannabis Cup winners must be using them and not telling anyone.

I see the commercial grower trend to upgrades are Gavita double ended bulbs/ballasts systems. Most are switching over to this style of lamp and giving up on conventional HID lights.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate LEDs. I install them all the time in rooms with limited grow height. The better LEDs will in fact produce a quality harvest if done right. I have lots of friends who love them and use them in current setups. We just finished testing some that did a great job and could rival a HID at the same wattage. But if all things are the same, I will do the ventilation right and install basic HIDs.

Peace, R.

2. ok the answer is simple just take a look on every indoor serious grower -dependencies or professional growers they all use HID LIGHTS for a reason and the reason is leds suck ass and like Ed Rosenthal says fluffy is for pillows ------>>

<h1 class="yt watch-title-container" style="margin-bottom: 13px; border: 0px; font-weight: normal; font-size: 24px; display: table-cell; vertical-align: top; width: 824px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); line-height: normal; word-wrap: break-word; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; background-image: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">the question is you are going to grow like pro or you are going to child play </h1>

3. #43 sick__boy, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
    ALL PRO AND SERIOUS GROWERS AND DISPENSARIES USE HID LIGHTS M8 THAT SPEAKS FOR IT SELF RIGHT ??

4. There is so much BS going on that promoted (still promotes R/B= Burple) leds as the greatest. It was a lie then, and it still is, even though plants growing under Burple look the part, it's what's inside that counts. and this is where lab analysis over 3+ generations should clearly reveal the deficiencies

Now, in one of GreengenesGarden YT videos, he had bud grown under a HPS and an Apache Tech WHITE led. The independent lab analysis was quite similar with a SLIGHT edge to led. That said the Apache is quite expensive, but the led tech and knowledge for growing cannabis is igrowing exponentially, much like computer tech

The new generation of leds is based on3000-4000K COBs, supplemented with select R/B 5w diodes to fill out the spectrum.

Another led tech just hitting the market is Remote Phosphor which is considerably more efficient with ~ double the life expectancy. I will b flowering with one in about 6 weeks. See my thread in the Light Forums: Separating the Wheat from the Chaff

5. #45 sick__boy, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
    the concept of led was less power more par in a logical price now you must buy (in some crazy prices) same watts with hps to take in the best case the same yield !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------spectrum king what kind of leds is using m8 did you know???

6. #46 REALSTYLES, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
    @sick__boy you sir are a confused person I get 1 gpw and the light I make will crush HPS all day

View attachment 1840917

View attachment 1838490

that's 372 watts in a 4x4 tent

edit: I forgot to say that's only 4 plant and 3 weeks of veg.

7. that old guy doesn't know what the rfuck he is talking about lol good luck on what he is talking about old shit he s tole from Gorge Cervates REAL FOR THE WIN

8. HPS will beat led even if you built your own. I know you got your technology for your led from an advanced race. So us idiots have no idea how great your built light is. Still no matter what a Ceramic Metal Halide will beat your led. Especially with a phillips master color ceramic metal halide.

9. YOU have no clue REA TALK

10. Neither do you apparently. Just going off every single thread and blade you have argued with. We are all tired of hearing about how you built your leds man. I'm sure they are great leds compared to others but not the best lighting out of other sources than led sorry to say.

11. No you are tired of me talking about my lights jealous person. Just face it I'm better than you

12. Once you think your better or smarter then most your mind closes and you stop learning.

I'm looking to get a 1200w led panel soon, but there's so much conflicting opinion on the internet between led and hps... Makes a decision hard!

13. If you have to tell someone you are better Hommie you ain't shit.
    So you built some light to grow cannabis if it was or is what you fucking say it is you would be taking it to the bank instead of gloating on a fucking forum.
    Check you ego.

15. #55 sick__boy, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015

16. Amen! Here are some commercial growers that went with the LumiGrow Pro 650. I'm not going to say these are the best; but after these growers evaluated initial upfront costs (capex), operating costs (opex), quality and yield, they went with a commercial LED solution. The capital cost savings on specifying smaller HVAC systems is something that home growers don't always consider. The operational cost savings on energy is significant especially on secondary loads like cooling.

Yes, there's a learning curve. Most HPS growers are shy to start from scratch; it's like learning how to snowboard after skiing for 10 years. But once you've repaid your dues and you're banging turns on powder, you ask yourself why you didn't switch over sooner. I don't fault experienced growers for expounding the success of HPS on quality and yield. It has a proven track record and a guild-like tradition passed from grower to grower.

However, from a triple bottom line perspective, energy-intensive technology made with toxic materials just doesn't cut it. Economically, it doesn't make sense either. I've seen the numbers and so have commercial CFOs for grow-ops. For a crop that is seeing increased competition and lower margins, the savvy commercial growers are looking at efficiencies in every aspect of their operation.

[​IMG]

17. #57 sick__boy, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
    I SEE OVER 10 LED UNITS IN CORNER OF ONLY 1 PIC OH YEA THATS A LED GROW AHHAHAHAAH IS LIKE I SHOW YOU A PHOTO WITH A DOZEN CFL AND SAY TO YOU LOOK HOW GOOD IS CFL))))

18. @sick__boy here is my shitty lights in action. I crush HPS all day and I'm gonna hit 1.5 gpw this run

19. At this point if you actually research you will learn led is on point with hps at this point. However this will be one of those subject debated to the day we die. Look at it this way. Guy grow for 20 yrs with HID and switches to LED and grows with the same style then says led sucks. Well a garden needs to be treated differently when using led. I have 2 flower rooms. One HID one mix HID and LED. Bothe the same size and same atmosphere. I get the same amount of flower from each room, but get about 20-30% more resin per ounce in the mix spectrum room. I grow for resin though not flower. So decide what you want for a final outcome and then decide from there. In the LED room it is all about getting that really even canopy with buds in the top 16" or so. With HID I generally want the same, but can grow more conventionally with nugs in the top 24". So in LED I always scrog. In HID I just top a few times and use tomato cages. Not sure if that all made sense to anyone but me. LOL. Either way learn what you have and adapt to that.

20. LED's are better imho no heat and less power consumption, however i wouldnt go for PlatinumLED, i bought 2 p600's and half the panel burnt while in veg mode 3 weeks after installation and its been emails back'n forth for 1 week waiting for approval or refund to this date no reply or decision from them. BS on thier site about 90 day money back guarantee, i got proof of emails communication and video too