Are there truly any people that do good things without wanting anything in return?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by JamestheFreak, Feb 19, 2012.

1. #21 TesseLated, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
    I dont do good things for people thinking of any other impact than what it will have on them.... Not the aspect of karma or any afterlife belief....but what you can do today.

Make somebody feel good/be better today...b/c today is all we really have....and yeah, it makes me feel good to give people a smile because I can relate....but there's way worse things in the world. :smoke:

Maybe if everyone tried it....things up on this 'hurrr rock might change.

*lol...@UpSky....just read yours and we said about the same things although we have different beliefs....

Human nature will have to develop like this somehow to survive ...raising of Consciousness....because humanity's weapons are becoming way too powerful for anything else..an evolutionary paradigm shift is needed.

2. When we do good things for someone else, we help create a world in which people do good things for others. We do good things for others because by doing so we create a favorable environment in which to exist.

You can't get nothing from any behavior, you get to live in the world that results from what you did.

3. I dont expect anything in return unless i dont like u

4. #24 1Trismegistus1, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
    I'm going to be detoxing from the medicine I'm on (prescription) that I went on to help quit my addiction (or rather to keep from getting high at first which caused physical dependence to this bullshit now), and the woman I am working with to do this special type of detox that isn't legal in the US is going to be sending me over 250$ worth of medications absolutely free. She would charge 2500$ normally for someone doing the detox with her at her facility, however I am doing it on my own and merely asked for her advice on what I needed to do and ended up getting much more than I ever even asked for., Along with that, she also allowed me to buy the main component for the detox from her supplier so instead of paying 520$ for 1 gram like I originally was going to have to dealing with some sketchy guy, I'm getting 3 grams for 385$ (120$ a gram plus shipping) directly from a laboratory in South Africa.

So yes, that's a prime example of such a person who instead of making some profit from me, is actually losing money to help me.

5. When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.

6. Yes, I enjoy doing good stuff for people.
    I guess in a way I expect something in return? a feeling of happyness when I help them.

I just like helping people because helping somebody is helping everyone, if you help in the right way.... Don't really think of karma all I gotta do is smile, look at the sky or a tree and be happy.

Eidt: woops just realised people already said this in different words

7. Well for one thing, the mods and the admins here, they are all volunteers, and they have not ever asked for anything in return, and without them this place would not be what it is these days, so yeah much props and love for all the mods and admins!

SJ

8. Indeed, it is true...modding is somewhat of a thankless job

9. I do believe this. I was raised a Catolic, but ever since i have realized that religion is worthless and god is man made I have realised something about myself, which is the exact opposite of what religions teach that athiests are. I realize I am a good human being, simply for the fact that the way I choose to live, the way I choose to help people, everything I do, I do not do it in anticipation of reward, or for fear of punishment, in this life, or any thereafter. I do the things I do because I feel its how a human being should be to other human beings. I expect nothing in return for anything that I do for others. I wish all religious people would see what an Atheist really is, because I feel better about myself now than I ever did when I had religious beliefs. That crap really keeps human beings down.

But I didn't mean to turn this into a religious thread. So yes, there are people that do good that expect nothing in return. I am one of them.

10. I love helping other people. Always makes me feel like i made a difference, even if its small. if you can help someones quality of life improve, or even just helping in some smaller way, its a good day.