Man in Wheelchair Killed by Man Driving Under Influence of Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by pearl75, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Look, none of this is fair. The article doesn't even specify what he was under the influence of. It implies and it may be correct that it was cannabis, but he could have been drunk and just happened to have some weed and paraphernalia in the car.

Nonetheless, if we ever want this herb legalized again, we need to be more responsible. As my UK friend said, wait till you get home for fucks sake (you must be from the north). I know we all think we drive OK or better when high, but the truth is that you don't.

2. Most of the comments at the article are from local citizens and are blaming,for the most part,the man in the wheel chair because they had warned him several times and even argued with him about riding on the streets instead of the sidewalks.

If I was using a wheelchair outside in the dark and wanted to live,,it would have lights,,who knows what drugs the wheelchair driver was on or his frame of mind?
    I would imagine depression could be a problem that a lot of wheel chair users face,,even if they make wheelchair basketball look fun.

My thoughts on the accident is that it was an accident that could have happened to any of us that have toked and drove,,hitting a man in a wheelchair on a dark street is no different than hitting a deer on the highway and reaction time is a non factor because by the time you recognize the victim and adjust for it,,the victim turns back or dodges the wrong way.

World's meanest neighborhood sign: SLOW CHILDREN

3. [quote name='"rickster74"']Look, none of this is fair. The article doesn't even specify what he was under the influence of. It implies and it may be correct that it was cannabis, but he could have been drunk and just happened to have some weed and paraphernalia in the car.

Nonetheless, if we ever want this herb legalized again, we need to be more responsible. As my UK friend said, wait till you get home for fucks sake (you must be from the north). I know we all think we drive OK or better when high, but the truth is that you don't.[/quote]

That's not a fact. I don't drive worse or better when I'm high.

4. "Showing 10 of 26 commentsSort By
    linda
    3 hours ago+2
    Share | Flag
    THIS IS VERY SAD BUT I HAVE SEEN THIS MAN ON THE STREETS AT ALL HOURS AND ASK HIM TO PLEASE GET ON THE SIDEWALK. I HAVE CALL 911 ON HIM BEFORE. HE JUST WOULD GET MAD AND CONTINUE ON DOWN THE STREET"

Hope that stoner's car didn't get too badly damaged
    /thread

5. I feel bad for the driver and the family of the old man. It was definately the old mans fault but just because the kid and THC in his blood stream and a bag of weed he's now going to be legally guilty. In the comments people were saying that a whole lot of people have not only seen this man rolling down the street at night before, but that cars were basically spinning out of control trying to get around them. Poor kid, even if he was high it wasn't his fault. Now he's never going to get a good job or girlfriend. Or friends for that matter.

6. He should not have smoked prior to driving. End of story. No one should or you will end up just like this, "Weed fiend out of control and runs over old man."
    Just wait til you get home, and keep your headlights on to notice incompetent old people. :rolleyes:

7. Both these people are paying with their lives. It doesn't matter whose fault...Man was asking for death and the kid fucked up.

End of story... :confused_2:

8. [quote name='"Laith"'] He should not have smoked prior to driving. End of story. No one should or you will end up just like this, "Weed fiend out of control and runs over old man."
    Just wait til you get home, and keep your headlights on to notice incompetent old people. :rolleyes:[/quote]

If u smoke and then drive u won't end up like that. Don't lie to people dude

9. I can a handle a car while high just fine.

10. I totally agree. If you're high, don't drive. It's that shit that gets the rest of us fucked when we're not actually high and something happens..

11. I'm saying that's how you will be portrayed by the media. You don't believe me?

12. [quote name='"Laith"'] I'm saying that's how you will be portrayed by the media. You don't believe me?[/quote]

That's how the media will portray it sure. But as for is it a fact something like that will happen if u smoke and drive? No. Do I believe you can't drive normal after smoking? No. Unless you smoke a retarded amount which is not what I'm about.

13. #33 Funk-D, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
    I drive high, and while smoking all the time.

With how long marijuana stays in your system. There is really no way of telling if the guy was actually high or not when he hit the guy. Sure he had weed on him, but that doesn't mean he was stoned. He just hit a guy who was in the middle of the street, in the dark, could've happened to anyone.

And to be fair, it has been proven that people are sometimes better driver when stoned. They did a test on it and everything.

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence

14. Look, do you not understand? This guy could've have not smoked at all! Anyone who smokes weed on a regular basis is going to have it in their systems even if they haven't smoked all day. There is no accurate test that can display how stoned you are. All they can do is tell whether or not you've been smoking recently.

This guy could've been completely sober, haven't smoked all day. Copped a bag and was on his way home to smoke up......and accidentally hit some old asshole who wants to ride around in the middle of the street in his little motorized scooter thing. And they test his blood, urine whatever and just see that there's weed there which really only proves that he could've smoked weed anywhere from two hours, or two weeks ago. Do the research people, you're arguments always make the most sense when you actually know what you're talking about. Do people really just smoke weed, and not know how it works? Seriously? This is the age of the Internet people there is really no reason for you guys, or anyone else for that matter to not know this stuff.

15. Awesome, just what we need. Watch the propaganda flow from this... Although it is sad, my respects go to the family of the deceased.

16. If he gets a good lawyer, he will win out on the marijuana being the cause. There have been cases in other states already, there is no evidence that marijuana would cause someone to crash, just a lot of unwarranted speculation and willfully ignorant opinions.:(

Where is the evidence? We have lots for alcohol and driving, texting and driving etc...

:smoke:

17. I think we can all agree that the dude was stupid for not ditching the weed before the oinkers got there.

18. Hm, that is very true.

19. [quote name='"Funk-D"']I drive high, and while smoking all the time.

With how long marijuana stays in your system. There is really no way of telling if the guy was actually high or not when he hit the guy. Sure he had weed on him, but that doesn't mean he was stoned. He just hit a guy who was in the middle of the street, in the dark, could've happened to anyone.

And to be fair, it has been proven that people are sometimes better driver when stoned. They did a test on it and everything.

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence[/quote]

I agree 100 percent

20. He had marijuana on him and they assumed he was high. He should not be driving around with weed. Ever heard of a bus? Maybe walk somewhere? It's not important whether or not he was actually high, because the media will still portray it as if he was, so why give them the chance by doing it in the first place?