Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Kief to Edibles?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Corn Man, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Most of my Edible's cook books have recipes that you cannot substitute with CannaButter, and I see a lot of videos that use those cool screens that turn trim into kief basically, and you can press it and it turns it into Hash, but I also know that just eating Kief won't get you high, so how exactly does the kief turn into has that gets you high when eaten, or at some point in the recipe the kief/hash will just be disolved into a fat or oil and that will somehow get me high, like let me post a recipe, and if someone could explain to me how to make the hash for it out of trim, or how the pressed hash would work.

Vanilla ice cream requires light and heavy cream, vanilla, sugar, egg yolks and of course hash, you basically boil everything together, simmer for a while, then freeze it, would the THC from the kief get absorbed into the cream allowing me to get high from eating it?

2. #2 cityboy2, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
    Yes. Kief is just loose hash. It may actually work better as there is a much larger surface area to be absorbed in comparison to hash.

Having re-read your post.. Am I correct in assuming you haven't made edibles before? It will work much better with butter rather than cream just because of the much higher fat content.

If you have some keif, here is what I personally would do.

Place it into a microwave for 1-2 minutes, take it out and shake the plate then put it back in for 1 minute longer. (decarboxylating).

Use the keif to make cannabutter (hashmouf has a good guide that is stickied)

Use the cannabutter in a store bought cookie mix, make your own cookie mix, spread it on toast. Keep a block of it in the fridge to lick occasionally (not hygienic).

Up to you man. I have done it with cream before but it was nowhere near as potent.

Another option is to make some canna-oil with your keif and then just mix a tsp into a bowl of ice cream and enjoy!

3. Check out badkittysmiles posts she's a iron chef when it comes to weed

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh, I have made edibles before, but with cannabutter, but a lot of recipes don't allow you to use cannabutter, they call for straight hash because butter doesn't fit in the recipe like in the one I listed above.

5. [quote name='"Corn Man"']Oh, I have made edibles before, but with cannabutter, but a lot of recipes don't allow you to use cannabutter, they call for straight hash because butter doesn't fit in the recipe like in the one I listed above.[/quote]

Are they gonna arrest you for experimenting?

6. #6 BadKittySmiles, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012

This comes up every few days... here's a reply from the 9th of this month. :)

But first, just to touch on a recipe like the one you suggest, ideally you would be using a blend of coconut oil
    and clarified butter to perform the extraction and promote bioavailability. Some ice cream recipes call for
    coconut oil for a more rich taste-bud-penetrating flavor.

But if you're truly compelled to sticking to the ingredients in a particular recipe, and don't mind sacrificing
    potency by doing so, then use clarified butter alone when making oil/butter with your decarbed kief... it
    is after all milk fat, and there is a fair bit in heavy cream. Some of the tastiest ice-creams also use lecithin
    as an emulsifier and homogenizing agent, and again to provide a more rich mouth-feel and flavor, so you
    can benefit from the increase in absorption and potency that it provides when making a highly bioavailable
    oil, as well as use it to more easily blend your clarified canna butter or milk fat, back with the low (non fat,
    or regular) milk-source of your choice.
    Lecithin isn't required to blend, just keep in mind that like many things, the best original or 'natural' ice-creams
    take patience and good blending (although the CannaPharm does have a good little 'quickie' recipe for
    those in a rush, with few tools to work with). :)

Now the reply from a few days earlier, concerning kief......

----------------

You haven't read the stickies or tried the search feature yet, have you [​IMG]

There's a whole thread just about devoted to it, stuck to the top of this very forum! [​IMG]

Although, rather than the simple or dirty kief produced by grinders, that many folks think of when the word 'kief'
    comes up, we use a series of fine screens to make our dry-sift, often with an ultra-fine finishing screen to remove
    miniscule inert waste material.
    A dry extraction using screens is superior versus water/ice, which removes free-floating oils (the warmer it is, and
    the slower the wash, the greater the oil content that is lost in the water... just because water is not a solvent, does not
    mean that chemicals and oils do not wash, detach, and become free-floating. The up-side being that potential
    excess salt content is also reduced at this time).

Just like ice-water, you can make varying grades when dry-sifting, some of which 'bubble', and all of which are
    guaranteed to contain a higher essential oil content when compared to water hash. [​IMG]

You can then take the sifted glands, with more of their terpene content intact, and make even higher quality concentrates,
    with less worry over potential plant waxes, chlorophyll, and bitter salts etc. contaminating your finished product.[​IMG]

--------

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb, all on its own, even after activation, even
    when it's in the form of a filtered, warm and sticky concentrate.

Just like herb, in order to work efficiently as an edible, your hash or kief requires activation or decarboxylation,
    and it requires proper processing in one of several edible solvents that the body can absorb easily, such as oil,
    glycerin or alcohol.
    If it's good quality hash, and still has a lot of its medicinal terpene content, it WILL produce an odor, if you're not careful
    that is.

However, the good news is that the very best and highest quality edible oils, produce little to no odor during the entire process! [​IMG]

To avoid odor production when cooking with herb OR hash, you simply need to 1) seal, 2) heat and 3) cool your material correctly
    during processing!

Sealing (1)your container prevents the most odorous and low-temp volatile vapors from escaping, heating correctly (2),
    or at low enough temps, will prevent you from degrading potency, from creating cannabinoid vapor and from bursting your seal,
    and waiting for the container and material inside to cool (3) causes any odor or potential vapor to condense, drop, and settle
    back into the material.

When actually baking with finished canna oil, some amount of odor in the kitchen can be expected, along the lines
    of a hashy vape it... terpene/flavanoids are responsible for the odor, and they have sedative, analgesic and
    cancer-figthing properties all their own! So the less you can smell, the more 'potency' remains in your oil/food.

You can get around this entirely by simply using cold recipes like certain drinks, truffles, ice-cream, smoothies, potato
    salad, and others.

----------------

Put it this way; it is the same glandular material on the buds... and as such, it requires the same level of activation, and
    processing, in order to create a bioavailable solution in oil. [​IMG]

It needs a 'vehicle' such as oil, glycerin, or even alcohol, which drastically improves cellular permeability, in order to provide
    you with the most absorption and the strongest sensations.

[​IMG]

The above 'water' could be brownie mix, it could be a beverage, or it could simply be the extra contents of your stomach
    after swallowing canna oil.

When you process in oil gently, for long enough, a solution is formed in such a way when the solvent (in this case, oil) creates
    a persistent 'coat' on the broken down particles of the solute (cannabis glandular material)... once this occurs, you have
    a bioavailable 'solution'.

In other words, we choose the edible solvents we do, not only because they are effective at breaking down cannabis
    glandular material, but because they help our bodies absorb it!

Certain oils (especially coconut oil!) can pass easily through the cellular walls of our digestive tracts, while the
    primary beneficial cannabinoids and some terpenes can not, and simply bounce-off on contact, where they will continue
    down your digestive tract for 'evacuation' without absorption!

The specific oil source you choose, even directly dictates where in the body, your oil is absorbed.... this is why the
    quality of oil matters, as well.

Unless you know for a fact that your liver does not function properly, and that it consistently over-metabolizes both
    food and medications, you should start with medium-chain containing oils such as coconut oil and palm kernal oil,
    or to a lesser extend, clarified butter.

These oils deliver potency via the portal vein and liver, where a kind of chemical conversion takes place as the liver
    metabolizes the oil, causing the majority of the D9-THC to convert to the more powerful 11-OH-THC!!

Choose the wrong oil, however, and you miss out on most, if not all of that conversion... which results in a much
    weaker, shorter-lived experience.

Photo Tutorial: Highly Activated Med Grade Bioavailable Hash & Canna Oils, Edibles, Drinkables and more...

(photo-excerpts, from the above tutorials...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps... the above hash oil for capsules, can also be used for any of the oil based edible recipes in the above link...

And remember, with the right processing.. you'll have a stronger, and longer-lasting experience, than you would get
    by smoking the same material!

But cut corners... and you'll quickly find that you need to multiply your required dose, in order to achieve the
    desired effect.

Sorry for the 'long read'.... Good luck! [​IMG]

Edit - Just thought this may help you decide if you'd like to make kief oil, or an edible concentrate oil... both are fairly easy :)

Edible Hash/Concentrate Oils

This may be interesting for you as well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1buSgDNfGFQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1buSgDNfGFQ[/ame]

7. Could i use a low ratio of like a tablespoon of butter and like 6-10 fatty scoops of kief from my grinder?

8. So I have half gram of kief. Would that be sufficient to make firecrackers and not waste?