DIY POLLEN PRESS- build along

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by NortherToker, Dec 7, 2009.

1. #1 NortherToker, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
    Here is how to build your own easy to use pollen press out of cheap material available at most hardware stores :)

Materials: 14" O.D. tube Hex nipple,
    3/8" M.I.P. nuts for the nipple(get all your giggles out now lol)
    a bolt or other solid metal rod to that is the same O.D. as your nipple's I.D.
    small metal discs to fit into your nuts to block the ends, I used nail heads.
    super glue, epoxy, etc to hold the metal disc in place inside the hex nut.

Pic 1: Materials

Pic 2: proper sized shaft, should be a perfect fit otherwise the keif will be able to go around the edges instead of being compacted.

Pic 3: I used a bolt for the compression shaft( if this isn't a term I'm making it one;)) bsically you need a solid metal rod that fits TIGT inside your nipple, nipples are of standard sizes so its not too hard to find proper fitting peices. Once I found the bolt, I cut the head of it off leaving me with the shaft slightly smaller than the length of the nipple.

Pic 4: Place a small drop on the inside bottom on your hex nuts. Then place small metal discs(nail heads) inside the hex nuts.

Pic 5: nail head in place, do this with both your nuts.

Pic 6: finished product, my 2 pollen presses, different I.D.'s for different sized hash pucks :smoke:

Attached Files:

2. bump for the evening crowd

3. Hell yeah. Think I'm gonna have to make one. I've got tons of brass fitting layin around. I think they might all be too big though. anyways THANKS for the diy how to

4. Awesome tutorial man +rep. Any way you think you could post pr PM me the sizes and names of what I need for those parts because I would like to go pick them up tomorrow if you can thanks man, and also, how did you get the nail heads off?

5. "1/4" o.d. tube hex nipple", "3/8" M.I.P. both ends" nuts, The pkg dosn't have much info on it, they're plumbing parts, the nipple has "iron pipe written on the side of the pkg, the nuts have "compression" written on the package.

6. good idea man il have to hit the hardware store sometime

7. Thanks for the tutorial, NortherToker. This is especially useful for those of us who can't afford to buy a pollen press. It's so simple, yet seems so effective. I must make one soon! You should add the sizes you used to the original post. +rep

8. Cool thanks man, I am heading to my local hardware store to pick this stuff up today, what did you use to cut the nails and bolt though since its thick metal?

9. awesome i should make one since a decent press is expensive (like 100+)

10. I used a bolt cutter for the nails, and a grinder for the bolt, if you don't have a grinder you could use a hacksaw or file, it will just take abit more elbow grease.

11. show pics of your pucks!

12. I picked up my stuff, but the screws I got are thick as shit I have no clue how I am going to get through them without bolt cutters...oh well i will figure somthing out.

13. great tut