Homemade Inline and Tree Perc Tutorial

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Kalec, Jun 22, 2009.

1. #1 Kalec, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
    A bunch of people wanted me to make a tutorial on the homemade inline i made, you can see it by clicking the link below to my homemade toking tools thread:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/484985-kalecs-homemade-toking-tools.html#post5886932

You might be able to improvise with some of the tools, but these are the tools i used.

Tools needed:
    - Power Drill
    - Steak knife/knife/saw
    - Scissors
    - Hot Glue gun

To make this you will also need a few parts from the hardware store. These parts shouldn't cost more then like 3-4 dollars combined.

TO USE THIS HOMEMADE YOU NEED TO PURCHASE A 14.5mm GONG SLIDE. You can buy one at a local headshop for like 5-10$

Parts Needed:
    1/2" PVC Adapter threaded (Here's a picture for those who don't know what they look like)
    https://www.plumbersstock.com/images/products/large/00364570.jpg

1/2" PVC Elbow Threaded (Here's a picture for those who don't know what they look like)
    http://www.northernpvc.com/images/Sch40-PVC-Elbow90.JPG

12" long and 1/2" wide PVC Tube

2 Vitamin Water bottles.

Once you have everything together the first thing you need to do is peel the label off of one of your vitamin waters. And then get out a drill (I used a 1-1/8 drill bit.) You can use other tools as well here if you don't have a big enough bit. You could probably use a knife or something.

[​IMG]

You want to drill right in between the two bumps where the x is.

Now on your OTHER bottle NOT the one used above you want to take a knife and cut the lid off the bottle.

[​IMG]

Once you cut it off you need to take some scissors or something sharp and cut away the extra plastic. when your done it should look something like the picture below.

[​IMG]

Next you need to take the lid you just cut off and glue it to the hole you drilled in the other bottle.

[​IMG]

Once the glue drys i always block one of the holes and blow into the other to make sure its air tight. If there are any leaks it will be harder to find them later on so make sure you deal with it now.

[​IMG]

Now you need to take your PVC Pipe and stick it into the bottle to measure where you need to make your cut for the inline. I marked my line with a marker.

[​IMG]

Once you have your line just cut it. Make sure that the cut is level you don't want one side of it to stick out considerably father then the other.

Now you need to get the drill back out I used a 5/16th drill bit for this part but if you don't have one that's fine you could use another size as long as its fairly close to the same size.

[​IMG]

I drilled 8 holes but you could do more or less if you wanted i just think 8 is a good number. Be careful here to make sure that all your hole are in a pretty straight line, its easy for the drill to slip.

[​IMG]

Take your PVC Adapter and screw it into the PVC elbow. Your inline should look something like the picture above.

[​IMG]

Now take the PVC adapter and Elbow that you just screwed together and glue the PVC elbow to the PVC pipe with the holes on it. Make sure the holes are facing down and that the side with the holes is not the side being glued to the PVC elbow.

Take your drill back out or whatever you have been using to cut your holes. (I'm using the 1-1/8 drill bit again) Put the vitamin water cap onto a vitamin water bottle and then drill your hole directly into the center of it.

[​IMG]

After your done drilling your hole it should look something like the picture below:

[​IMG]

Now take the PVC inline and apply glue in a ring around the end of the PVC pipe:

[​IMG]

Before the glue drys on it you need to stick it into the bottle (MAKE SURE THE VITAMIN WATER CAP YOU JUST DRILLED IS ON THE BOTTLE) This will set the inline part of the tube in place so you need to move fast and make sure the the inline is not crooked or angled wrong.

When your done with the step above it should look something like the picture below:

[​IMG]

You need to take your hot glue gun back out and glue the PVC elbow to the vitamin water cap that's on the bottle, So that your inline will be 100% air tight and water tight. (MAKE SURE THAT THE CAP TO THE VITAMIN WATER IS SCREWED ON ALL THE WAY)

[​IMG]

Do another test by covering one hole and blowing into the other to make sure it air tight.

TO USE THIS HOMEMADE YOU NEED TO PURCHASE A 14.5mm GONG SLIDE.

Your done congrats your inline should look something like ones in the picture below:

[​IMG]

2. #2 Kalec, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
    You might be able to improvise with some of the tools, but these are the tools i used.

Tools needed:
    - Power Drill
    - Steak knife/knife/saw
    - Scissors
    - Hot Glue gun
    - Scotch Tape
    - A Drill Bit that will make a hole big enough for you to get your bendy straws through. I'm sorry i don't have the exact size i used but it also depends on your bendy straws. I recommend going and buying a pack of bendy straws from your local grocery i got 100 pack for 2$. Then taking one out and bringing it with you the hardware store and using it to help you identify the proper sized bit. Its better to have it be a little bit bigger then the bendy straw then too small.

Pieces needed to make Percolator:
    - 2x Vitamin water bottles
    - 1 Vitamin water cap
    - Bendy Straws (for how many trees you want your perc to be)

Step 1:
    Take your vitamin water bottles and remove the labels. You are going to then take your knife or whatever you are using to cut and cut each bottle exactly where its marked in the picture below. For bottle A there is a nice little indent that will guide you easily. Same for Bottle B but the indent is much wider, you want to cut on the bottom part of the indent.

[​IMG]

When your down you the two bottles should look like the ones below. You don't need the bottom halves so you can recycle them. You now want to take out your scissors and clean it up a bit, you want the cuts to be as level as possible because later you are going to put them together and if they aren't level your perc may have some lean to it.

[​IMG]

Now you need to take Bottle A (The now larger Bottle) and cut the part that the lid screws into off. Be careful when cutting because you don't want to take any of the bottle with it you want to remove the piece leaving a nice round hole. When you're done it should look like the the picture below.

[​IMG]

You don't need the piece that the cap screws into so you can recycle that too. You can set the bottles aside for now and bring out your drill. Take your cap and drill how ever many holes for how ever many trees you want in your perc. Drill them in a circle along the rim of the cap. Not too close to the rim though you don't want to hit the sides.

[​IMG]

Now you want to clean up all your holes with either your finger scissors or whatever but you don't want any excess plastic blocking the holes. After doing this i usually go over my holes again with the drill to make sure they are good. And then i take a straw and test every hole to make sure it fits right.

[​IMG]

Now its time to work with the straws. Take the straws and stretch them out and bend them down. Then cut off most of the excess on the bottom of the straw, don't cut off to much and don't worry about cutting off to little because you can cut them at anytime. Once i cut a straw i hold it up with another one so i can make the same cut for each straw just to make it easier.

[​IMG]

I'm making a 9 tree perc so i cut out 9.

[​IMG]

Now we need to add the slits to all the straws. You are going to add the slits on the short side of the straw. I use my thumbs/teeth to flatten the short side of the stare to make it easier for me to cut.

[​IMG]

I make 2 slits per tree but your welcome to make as many or as little as you like. Once they are flattened like above make your slits you will need to be very careful and patient. I usually make 2 cuts across the straw making a little flap and then i cut the flap out making my slit. Then repeat for how ever many slits you want for how ever many trees you want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you need to take out the scotch tape and tape the trees so that they face straight down like the picture below.

[​IMG]

When you have them all tapped up they should look the like the picture below.

[​IMG]

Now back to the Bottles! take the two bottles and put them together how they are pictured below. and glue them right along the indent where the connect. I usually just fill the gap to the top with glue ensuring its air tight. Once the glue is done FULLY drying i cover one end up and blow into the other to check for air leaks. If you have any fill them now while you have less stuff to deal with.

[​IMG]

Now back to the lid and the straws. Take the straw and eye it up and see about where you want it rest in the perc using the glue gun apply a ring of glue all the way around that spot and then slide it into one of the holes in the lid, push it down till the glue seals up around the hole. Then repeat with each straw till your done. Below are some picture of what it should look like.

[​IMG]

Now you want to cut off all the excess straw coming out the bottom of your perc. Cut off enough until the perc can rest on a flat surface undisturbed by the straws.

[​IMG]

Now we need to get the perc into the bottle. Its going to go into the side that the you cut the lid off (Bottle A). This is going to be a really really tight fit. You need to use your hand and push all the straws into the middles of the cap and slowly ease it into the bottle. When you almost have it in the slits on the trees will usually get caught on the rim so carefully make sure they all get in.

[​IMG]

Once they are in glue it up along the eadge where the cap meets the bottle and your DONE!!!! screw it into your favorite homemade and rip it!

[​IMG]

3. sick guide man

4. Damn nice tut. :hello:

5. Brilliant tutorial for the best homemade ive ever seen!
    Cant wait for the perc tutorial to be up!

6. nice guide +rep

7. Where are you suggesting to put the bowl, smoking out of PVC can be very harmful to your lungs...

8. This.

9. I just realized i never included that in the TUT, The PVC Adapter will hold any 14.5mm gong slide to use this homemade you will need to purchase one.. The smoke is NOT hot enough to melt the PVC if the smoke isn't hot enough to melt it, its not creating plastic fumes. This piece is a perfectly safe homemade.

10. SICk guide dude..

11. Awesome, thanks for puttin this up! Nice attention to detail, very easy to follow. Can't wait for the rest of it:hello:

12. Mind adding that detail to the tutorial? I'm gonna bookmark this tutorial and make this at school in a few months.

13. your gonna make this "at school" ?

14. College.

15. workshop class or whatever its called, if your teacher is dumb.

16. Thanks everyone i will try to get out a perc tutorial along with some other ones out soon:smoke:

17. Now thats how you make a homeade piece

18. There's no way this is safe for you, the burning hot smoke goes straight from the bowl into a pvc pipe before being forced through water

19. that was my though, i looked around online and saw that temps over 140 degrees Farenheit start to release toxic fumes from the PVC, and considering the THC has to be atleast 300+(i think)degrees, so the smoke is prolly more than 140 degrees...