Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety disorder from weed please give me your input

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by mrbrosefsky, Sep 17, 2013.

1. May I suggest that you seek out strains high in CBD (Canbabidiol). CBD has been scientifically shown to be useful as an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) medication.

I started vaping high CBD strains to manage my anxiety/panic disorder based on the research and have had some fantastic results.

Most strains are high THC with little or no CBD and high THC has been shown to exacerbate anxiety/paranoia whether that is acute or due to a predisposition in some folks, myself included.

2. I doubt this was caused by the smoking. Obviously cannabis, especially those strains high in THC and low in CBD can cause anxiety, but not an anxiety disorder. Perhaps your anxiety was emerging, was triggered in that session, and drew your attention to something new going on with you. Clearly I'm just guessing, though. While I suffer from anxiety, cannabis tends to only help me, so obviously you're a bit different than I am. Yes, I ignored your plea for only absolute facts, but when it comes to cannabis and its effects, there's a bit of a dearth due to the government's bias.

3. I'm by no means an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'm taking a psych class about anxiety disorders this semester, and we just covered panic attacks. My professor said that smoking weed can be a cause of them, over time. I know you said your anxiety doesn't escalate into a panic attack, but what you're saying reminds me of that.

I, also, have OCD but have never really had full blown "anxiety"... never had a panic attack, etc. But I have noticed that, compared to other friends who smoke, weed seems to affect my anxiety more than theirs. I get a LOT more paranoid than they do, and sometimes I feel myself go into that pre-panic state and I have to really work on controlling my breathing and getting back in control. So... yeah, I think weed can make you more anxious.

Do you have these symptoms when you're sober? Or just when you're high?

4. #24 barrano247, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    ive had this issue before, u can learn to eliminate it by thinking a certain way. Usually the feeling of negativity comes with the thoughts, if ur with friends it helps to stay engaged in conversation before the high really hits, also it helps to not even think about it. Use it as a time to analyze your fears and get to the bottom of them (if your alone), i found that as i took out the negative thoughts one by one (usually based on insecurities), i stopped having an issue

also u gotta learn how to be comfortable while extremely high. I just dont care anymore in public, enjoy your high dont be self conscious about it. Also idk if this is just me but when i talk to girls high all my problems go away, its weird with everything else im lost mentally but when it comes to girls im completely engaged

EDIT: certain strains definitely help a lot more than others. The traditional "knockout"/physically and mentally impairing strains tend to give me that issue, its not always just strong weed certain types do it ive had some crazy powerful stuff like ATF, lsd, this shit called snow white kush, blue dream, girl scout cookies, pineapple express, white widow all real strong but no anxiety. Idk tho i got over anxiety a while ago so maybe i cant remember, but ill tell u what, look out for headband, satori, had this stuff called larry white fire OG (got it from a private grower, some of the best ive ever had), pretty much every good sativa, an strong indica, be wary of those. Im weird tho, the strongest of the strongest weed never made me panic it just got me orgasmically high, ive had decent stuff that gave me the runaround mentally 

5. i have had the same issues as you, i dont think its the weed , more my mindset and after a few different panic attacks i now know what to do , Valium lol

i had issues swallowing , breathing etc. i just tell myself if it happens to bring it on ,i aint gonna die and so what if i am . fuck it 
    and the acceptance of ones fate usually stops it , the mind is a cunt when it wants to be

6. I got anxiety when surrounded in public when I started toking again. But when I'm home I'm relaxed not anxious. So I only toke I'm my room when relaxing. Toking, relaxing, pain free, anxiety free. You will find your place. For me music, creativity, tranquility! The anxiety will disappear eventually.

Puff, puff, pass!

7. High there my worried friend. Anxiety is a quite common.symptom and.may appear if you are an.inexperienced smoker.and.smoke.a strain with a.very high.the rationalize some kind of.monstrous sativa. It's scientifically proved that pure.the.gives people.paranoia and.symptoms like that. Ty a less psychoactive strain, a indication dominated hybrid would.suit you well.I think. Don't worry, weed alone can't cause braindamage or permanent anxiety.

Sent fro
    m my LG-E610 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #28 blackmore, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
    My opinion...

Look, its very very simple.

Every substance, abuse in particular, leaves a mark on your personality.
    It is mind altering, and will open up your mind if you let it, and if youre not a rational person, it will make you narrow minded.
    Weed is a very very harmless drug, but abusing it will cause

-anxiety, paranoid feelings, laziness
    -all these combined lead to avoiding responsilbilities and activities in life...which in turn causes depression.

The best way to counter this is to take a break, smoke after a month of abstinence, your mind will clear up, and your highs will be refreshed.
    Dont take prescription meds, unless you think you cant do without them.
    Trading one substance for another does not work, youll end up being dependant on them both if youre prone to addiction.

In the ops case, he just smoked a lil bit and got a bit paranoid. It happens...think positive and rationally and youll feel better.
    Ignore irrational thought....you will have to make a conscious effort to do so, especially if youre not a regular smoker.
    I see this alot in my chick friends..Makes them too anxious and paranoid.

It affects me too, sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming when you cant think rationally.

Its important to keep ones mind straight and avoid negative, uncomfortable environments.

Do some meditation, think about yourself and find out why you are the way you are.
    Once you start figuring youself out, which is a life long journey, you will become more and more comfortable smoking.

Ofcourse, there are people with a medical predisposition to paranoia, if you are one, choose not to use this drug. Its not worth it to lose your mental well being just to get high.