Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

marijuana Research

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Made iN Poland, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Taking English 102 here and i have to write a critical inquiry research paper on a topic of my choice. I am kinda interested in choosing my topic as marijuana. Anyone here care to help me out and provided some specific ideas that i could research on? Thanks in advance.

2. Look at granny's list.

3. i did a paper on alcohol vs marijuana and in short, explained how much worse alcohol is for you and had studies and tests shown you cant od on marijuana but you can od on alcohol.
    i also added that cigarettes are far worse than both.
    research bud

4. #4 Storm Crow, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
    Well, first off, hon, you need a copy of my List! It has all the research you could need to do a fantastic paper! :D To get your copy, PM me your email addy, or send me an email (bottom of my sig). I'll send you back 840 pages of links to MMJ studies and articles as a PDF!

Now as to the subject- cannabidiol/CBD is amazing stuff! Doesn't get you high, but it has an "interesting" effect on certain aggressive cancers, even the deadly "triple negative" type of breast cancer! (1 in 8 women get breast cancer!)

Pot compound seen as tool against cancer (news – 2012)
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Pot-compound-seen-as-tool-against-cancer-
    3875562.php#page-1[/FONT]

Cannabidiol as a novel inhibitor of Id-1 gene expression in aggressive breast cancer cells. ​
    (full - 2007) http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/6/11/2921.long

Cannabidiol induces programmed cell death in breast cancer cells by coordinating the crosstalk between apoptosis and autophagy. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol induces programmed cell death in... [Mol Cancer Ther. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma (full - 2006) http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/318/3/1375.full

CBD also stops the growth of the "feeder" blood vessels (angiogenesis) that allow cancers to grow so dang fast!

Cannabidiol inhibits angiogenesis by multiple mechanisms.
    (abst – 2012) Cannabidiol inhibits angiogenesis by multiple... [Br J Pharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Or if halting Alzheimer's is more to your liking, start with WebMD's little gem,

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's

Now, THC activates both the CB1 and CB2 receptors, and look what happens when they get activated!

CB1 cannabinoid receptor activation rescues amyloid β-induced alterations in behaviour and intrinsic electrophysiological properties of rat hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurones.
    [FONT=&quot](abst – 2012) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CB1 cannabinoid receptor activation res... [Cell Physiol Biochem. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI[/FONT]

The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimulates in situ and in vitro beta-amyloid removal by human macrophages. (abst - 2009)
    The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimul... [Brain Res. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Activation of the CB(2) receptor system reverses amyloid-induced memory deficiency. (abst – 2013) Activation of the CB2 receptor system revers... [Neurobiol Aging. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Prolonged oral Cannabinoid Administration prevents Neuroinflammation, lowers beta-amyloid Levels and improves Cognitive Performance in Tg APP 2576 Mice.
    (full – 2012) http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/pdf/1742-2094-9-8.pdf

And CBD does its own thing in Alzheimer's,

Cannabidiol and other cannabinoids reduce microglial activation in vitro and in vivo: relevance to Alzheimers' disease (full – 2011) http://molpharm.aspetjournals.org/content/early/2011/02/24/mol.111.071290.long

Cannabidiol Reduces Aβ-Induced Neuroinflammation and Promotes Hippocampal Neurogenesis through PPARγ Involvement (full – 2011) Cannabidiol Reduces A

But one thing you have to know, cannabis can't work its "magic" unless there are WORKING CB receptors! For the receptors to be made properly, you NEED Omega 3! (The average American diet is WAY low in Omega 3 :( ) And if CB receptors made in the brain are affected by a lack of Omega 3, you can be pretty darn sure the same thing is happening in the body!

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.
    (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endoca... [Nat Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

A Brain Wrought Without Omega-3 (news – 2011) Schizophrenia Research Forum: A Brain Wrought Without Omega-3

[FONT=&quot]O-6 to O-3 ratio[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Omega-6+to+Omega-3+Ratio+-+Discover+the+Shocking+Reality+That+Ruins...-a01073970178[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

OK, that's 2 possible papers that should blow your prof's mind. :eek: Good luck!

Granny :wave:

5. i like this idea expect i am worried that i am just going to end up listing facts on how weed/booze affects the body. I am gonna keeping thinking on this idea to see if i can get a better spin on it.

6. wow this is great, i'll definitely be talking to you if i decide to do a paper on weed.

7. WEED
    Can you overdose?
    Can you overdose on marijuana if so how
    How Marijuana Can Kill You: Why a Cannabis Overdose is Impossible - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
    Marijuana Facts - Overdose - A Little Bit About Nothin'

Does it hurt your lungs?
    Study: Smoking Marijuana Not Linked with Lung Damage | TIME.com
    Does Pot Hurt Your Lungs? | Men's Health News
    Moderate Marijuana Use Does Not Impair Lung Function, Study Finds - NYTimes.com

Does weed kill brain cells?
    Do people still believe marijuana kills brain cells? - Yahoo! Answers
    Erowid Cannabis Vault : Cannabis FAQ
    Marijuana Myth
    Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Is it addictive?
    SAFER - Marijuana vs. Alcohol
    Is Marijuana Addictive? | Psychology Today
    Does marijuana have a physical or psychological addiction

Why does it cause short term memory loss?
    Scientists explain marijuana short-term memory loss - CBS News
    Does smoking weed permanently diminish your short-term memory, or is it just during the high? - Yahoo! Answers

Is it a gateway drug?
    Marijuana as a Gateway Drug: The Myth That Will Not Die | TIME.com
    Study: The
    Study says marijuana no gateway drug | ScienceBlog.com

Wait, is it actually healthy?
    Chronic High Doses of Cannabinoids Promote Hippocampal Neurogenesis « Science. Why not?
    Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects
    People who think weed is harmful, kills ur brain cells,. read this! What do u think? - Yahoo! Answers
    Neuroprotective antioxidants from marijuana. [Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
    http://christiansagainstprohibition...abinoids_as_Antioxidants_and_Neuroprotectants

8. WEED
    Can you overdose?
    Can you overdose on marijuana if so how
    How Marijuana Can Kill You: Why a Cannabis Overdose is Impossible - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
    Marijuana Facts - Overdose - A Little Bit About Nothin'

Does it hurt your lungs?
    Study: Smoking Marijuana Not Linked with Lung Damage | TIME.com
    Does Pot Hurt Your Lungs? | Men's Health News
    Moderate Marijuana Use Does Not Impair Lung Function, Study Finds - NYTimes.com

Does weed kill brain cells?
    Do people still believe marijuana kills brain cells? - Yahoo! Answers
    Erowid Cannabis Vault : Cannabis FAQ
    Marijuana Myth
    Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Is it addictive?
    SAFER - Marijuana vs. Alcohol
    Is Marijuana Addictive? | Psychology Today
    Does marijuana have a physical or psychological addiction

Why does it cause short term memory loss?
    Scientists explain marijuana short-term memory loss - CBS News
    Does smoking weed permanently diminish your short-term memory, or is it just during the high? - Yahoo! Answers

Is it a gateway drug?
    Marijuana as a Gateway Drug: The Myth That Will Not Die | TIME.com
    Study: The
    Study says marijuana no gateway drug | ScienceBlog.com

Wait, is it actually healthy?
    Chronic High Doses of Cannabinoids Promote Hippocampal Neurogenesis « Science. Why not?
    Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects
    People who think weed is harmful, kills ur brain cells,. read this! What do u think? - Yahoo! Answers
    Neuroprotective antioxidants from marijuana. [Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
    http://christiansagainstprohibition...abinoids_as_Antioxidants_and_Neuroprotectants

9. Thanks again.. I like the gateway drug part just because I think it's a good topic and I can link it to culture/crime/race/hard drugs